Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

House on Haunted hill

RickRick Member Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5241545

I know this is rare (I've not seen one for sale previously) but i'm surprised it has gone beyond $500US. Not only is it laminated, the design and colours don't really grab me. For once, I'd prefer a US poster. 
your thoughts?

Comments

• collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 844 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Agree Rick, the "I'm a little teapot" skeleton is bad enough, but throw in the lamination and it's a total deal breaker for me. Totally surprised that it's reached this tally, either major HOHH fans or just caught in the moment. 
    Wil
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited November 4

Totally agree with both Rick and Wil. I'll even go as far as saying, due to the lamination, that the poster in its current form holds no appeal for me at all. I decidedly prefer the Richardson Studio daybill colours over the Australian one and three sheet designs.
    Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    The lamination has put off some key players from bidding. I was  thinking should it be non laminated it would need a bid of somewhere in the 2k usd to win given its ultra rare and a classic (some collectors would give a concession on the average artwork) I think the daybill wins and certainly the US paper is much nicer as its not censored like the aussie paper. 
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,158 admin
    The U.S. poster rocks. I've had it on my lounge room wall for years, never get sick of looking at it.

The daybill is great too, albeit the missing bits. I think the Aussie one sheet would look good in person but up close not so great.  Red is a very striking colour from a distance.

It's risky but the laminate could be removed with a heat gun and a extra set of hands. There are a few different types lamination, that's the risk.
  • RickRick Member Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited November 4
    The daybill looks nice, even with a floating skeleton, but i think the US one-sheet trumps it. Even unlaminated, i wouldn't bid $2k on the Aussie one-sheet, though of course it might look nicer in person.

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited November 4
    Matt said:
    The U.S. poster rocks. I've had it on my lounge room wall for years, never get sick of looking at it.

The daybill is great too, albeit the missing bits. I think the Aussie one sheet would look good in person but up close not so great.  Red is a very striking colour from a distance.

It's risky but the laminate could be removed with a heat gun and a extra set of hands. There are a few different types lamination, that's the risk.
    Matt

I hate to argue with you (because you are a good guy and super knowledgeable), but I disagree with you on both counts!

First, it looks much BETTER in person! The red really "pops".

Second, I have NEVER heard of anyone successfully removing lamination, and I would be super afraid it would get damaged.

But I have also NEVER seen a laminated piece age badly (except for getting scuffed from rough handling), even after decades. This one could be just slapped in a frame with no glass or any covering.

But I am only stating my opinion.

Best
    Bruce
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 844 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited November 4
    Matt said:

I've tried to remove laminate twice Matt, both with disastrous results, once to a Jungle book daybill with gentle use of a heat gun and once to a Star Wars one sheet with an iron.

The conclusion is that when applied, the plastic bonds with the fibres of the paper and its removal will always pull away the surface of the print, also leaving a sticky mess on what remains of the poster. Both of the above ended up in the trash.
    Wil
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    There is supposedly a lamination method that only seals/bonds around the edges.  That one may be reversible and in fact I believe Ari successfully saved a poster encased by that method 
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

I don't mind you disagreeing with me Bruce, but I agree some posters do look better in person than just looking at a photo. I think it would look better in person.
    And I think the green background looks better on the one sheet than black on the three sheet.

It's at $701 with 3 minutes left.
    900 to 975, we got a couple of Batman bidders...
  • RickRick Member Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    damn good price, probably $2k not laminated 
    On the color, it is very hard to photograph a laminated poster, just like it is very hard to photograph a framed poster, because the light reflects.

When we had it out at work, a number of employees stopped by to oooh and aaah, and not many posters get that reaction. Of course we COULD have manipulated the image so it looked like it does in person, but I feel that is completely wrong to do.

And Chris, the kind of lamination that is just sealed around the edges is called "encapsulation", and yes, that is easily removable.

But I completely agree with Wil. Try to "remove" lamination, and you end up with a trashed poster.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,346 admin
    IDK to me a laminated poster is worthless because you’ll never be able to recover the original.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,346 admin
    It’s like having something locked up for all time.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    Charlie said:
    It’s like having something locked up for all time.
    Kind of like a slabbed comic book or baseball card. If you unslab it, it might never get that grade again.
  • DarioDario Member, Restoration Yoda Posts: 124 ✭✭ One-Sheeter

Hello everyone,

These are my understandings regarding a very sticky issue.

There is Thermoplastic, which can be re-melted and Thermoset, that cannot be melted back after being cured.

The melting point is about 500F, which is not good as it surpasses F451.

Cheers,

dario.

PS: The Aussie  HOHH is really cool. I think it is the blood Red that makes it pop in a unique way.

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,254 admin
    The new owner is very happy, once framed behind glass no one will be able to tell the difference and until another comes along...
    David
  • DarioDario Member, Restoration Yoda Posts: 124 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Congrats David! I guess??? 

For me, it's better than US version.

Dario.

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,254 admin
    Dario said:
    Congrats David! I guess??? 

For me, it's better than US version.

Dario.

Nope, I was not the buyer.
    David
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,120 admin
    I think it’s a cool looking poster, the red is striking, but missing the skeleton?! The US version is better, and Daybill are
    cool. 

@Charlie. @Dario didn’t one of you once mention that Bestine could remove lamination? Is that a possibility?