Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Purchased Juice (1992) Poster from mauvais-genres.com -- original or reprint? Help authenticating

phishphish Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
I purchased it because not many of these have Tupac holding the handgun.  According to the producer, at last minute the studio decided to erase the handgun.  

The white on the back of the poster is not very yellowed, and still retains most of its whiteness, but it is not bright white.  The only thing that looks very off to me is the rainbow stripe at the bottom border, which I've attached as a photo.  The seller known as vintagecinemacollection from France assured me that it was original.

This is the listing I purchased from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JUICE-Movie-Poster-29x41-in-1992-Ernest-R-Dickerson-Tupac-Shakur/302675126756?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Opinions, thoughts?  Any official way to authenticate this thing?

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,600 admin
    I would lean towards you being ok on this and it being original.

1. No offense but this is not a title so highly sought after that there would be a huge market for fakes (ex pulp fiction).
    2 The paper is think, colors are bright, text looks crisp (from what I can tell in my phone).
    3. If it were fake why would the seller devalue it by folding it.
    4. Rainbow stripe is the only weird part, but if your  story holds true this could be a test print or printer’s proof.
    5.  White is not an issue as this is a newer title.

I do wonder how it got to France - I’ll check out the seller.

May you please measure it and provide exact dimensions?  Size is also a classic authentication tool.

That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,600 admin
    Seller looks legit - I think you are ok on this... Please send the measurements.

Else, - Welcome to th forum!  Hope you’ll stick around...
  • phishphish Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    The poster measures 39.8125" x 27".  I asked the seller about the provenance and he said: "It was in a stock of a movie theater owner who lives in France now."
    I still think you are ok on this. It’s an interesting story about how it ended up in France.  The stripe is a concern but if I were faking a poster, I would have been sure to trim that off. I also wouldn’t have folded it.  The dimensions are are also a tad small but that could be from the folding.

Of course to say any poster is 100% legit is hard without having examined in person along with known originals etc. The biggest thing going for you is that it isn’t a title known to be faked.  And it’s top value at auction is around $50 so there wouldn’t be a big market for it. It could even be an international one sheet since I don’t see a rating.