Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

S2 Recreations

MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,476 admin
Ok, I'm not a fan. Why do they fetch so much money for what I think is just a quality print.

Over 2K for a print on EMP for a KK! Nah, that's just wrong in my books.

Just wondering what you folks think?

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,621 admin
    I agree.  I find it annoying that modern prints fetch so much. Especially reprints of the exact art work from the original. But I guess if your are going to buy a reprint at least buy a nice one.

I also find it annoying that artist use the popularity of a film to sell reimagined posters.

Of course I also find it disturbing that people buy modern pressings of vinyl records when the original pressings are pretty easy to find and usually at a lower price.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,476 admin
    Yeah, I just find it hard to buy a what's basically called a recreation....when it's actually a quality commercial reprint. That's what it is! S2 Recreation??? 

Next week i'm  coming out with a what's called MK Turd Reduction.

Same poster ...less shit.

• rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member, The Framer Posts: 485 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Charlie said:
    Especially reprints of the exact art work from the original. But I guess if your are going to buy a reprint at least buy a nice one
    I've been to S2 (and if memory serves, I think Mike Rowe did a Dirty Jobs segment there), but I've never seen any of their classic poster recreations in person, so I can't vouch for them. However, I think the 2 comments Charlie made that I highlighted above are exactly the point. There are folks that would like the Universal horror, Sin of Nora Moran or whatever, can't begin to afford an original, but would like something better than an inferior, blurry inkjet copy. That's the niche that S2 fills. Personally, I'd have to see one or more in person to dismiss them visually. Value wise, they'll never be more than high quality reprints, or recreations, as they probably call them, but if that's what someone wants for the walls of their living/working space, there's certainly worse things to put there. 
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,621 admin
    I have a Sins of Nora Moran S2 and it is beautiful. I don’t think I could afford or even readily find it.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,476 admin
    Yeah, I appreciate what Matt and Charlie has said but does buying an S2 fill a void in a poster that a collector thinks they'll never get as apposed to keepin the drive to get an original? That's what keeps me going.

I haven't brought a poster in a while but buying a reproduction isn't going to fill the void in my books.
  • rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member, The Framer Posts: 485 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    I think the answer to that falls down to personal tastes regarding original vs reprint/recreation, how long you're willing to wait to find that elusive/rare/valued/whatever poster, how many auctions you're prepared to get outbid in before you finally get one at a price that agrees with your personal financial situation, and probably other factors I'm not considering. It sounds like the answer for you involves authenticity and the thrill of the hunt, and that's great. The answer might not be the same for someone else. I've bought a handful of reprints over the years, but I always feel funny about it and would rather have an original, but for some posters it'll just never be financially or situationally possible. I think for the non poster collectors out there, convenience and price are the keys.
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,381 admin
    Think I’m more with Matt K on this one. While I’m not keen on the idea, I get that people might want the artwork displayed of a poster hat is financially beyond or too rare to find. 

For my own collecting future, it would only be after I’ve collected every one of Saints, Bonds, Star Wars, Falcon’s, Eastwood’s, Abbott & Costello’s, the list goes on, all originals before I’d buy a reproduction.

Unfolding and feeling the texture, pouring over the imperfections and the life of an original theater used  poster is most of the fun!
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Think I’m more with Matt K on this one. While I’m not keen on the idea, I get that people might want the artwork displayed of a poster hat is financially beyond or too rare to find. 

For my own collecting future, it would only be after I’ve collected every one of Saints, Bonds, Star Wars, Falcon’s, Eastwood’s, Abbott & Costello’s, the list goes on, all originals before I’d buy a reproduction.

Unfolding and feeling the texture, pouring over the imperfections and the life of an original theater used  poster is most of the fun!
    Lets not forget the smell of an original stone litho!....its smells like...victory!!
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,381 admin
    Ahhhhh yes....the old parchment smell....brings back memories of the first one Sheet I ever unfolded....

Nice one Sven!👍🏻