Skip to content

Ellery Queen Columbia Pictures Series ( 1940 -1942 ) Australian posters.

There were seven Ellery Queen films released by Columbia Pictures from 1940 to 1942. The first four starred Ralph Bellamy as Ellery Queen , then the remaining three had William Gargan playing the role.

• Ellery Queen, Master Detective (1940)
  • Ellery Queen’s Penthouse Mystery (1941)
  • Ellery Queen and the Perfect Crime (1941)
  • Ellery Queen and the Murder Ring (1941)
  • A Close Call for Ellery Queen (1942)
  • A Desperate Chance for Ellery Queen (1942)
  • Enemy Agents Meet Ellery Queen (1942)
The following are images of the original U.S.A. one sheets 

7p0551 ELLERY QUEEN MASTER DETECTIVE 1sh 1940 images of Ralph Bellamy  Lindsa as Nikki Porter  7p0552 ELLERY QUEENS PENTHOUSE MYSTERY 1sh 1941 Bellamy Margaret Lindsay Anna May Wong   7k192 ELLERY QUEEN  THE MURDER RING 1sh 41 star portraits on ace of spades playing cards7e164 CLOSE CALL FOR ELLERY QUEEN 1sh 41 William Gargan Margaret Lindsay shiver with suspense 7e202 DESPERATE CHANCE FOR ELLERY QUEEN 1sh 42 William Gargan wpretty Margaret Lindsay7s331 ENEMY AGENTS MEET ELLERY QUEEN 1sh 42 detective William Gargan fights Nazis

As with the other Columbia pictures series, Australian film posters are hard to locate. This has been the most difficult so far of the Columbia Pictures series that I have featured here on the forum to find posters of.  Of the seven titles not a single daybill image has been located, and one only Australian one sheet has come to light.  The title being Enemy Agents Meet Ellery Queen ( 1942 ) and the last one in the series. This image I only accidentally came across. It was sold in a bulk lot of five posters, and as as such the title isn't listed individually on Bruce's website. I understand the reason behind this practice, but it certainly makes my research into tracking down film titles a little harder to achieve. On saying that I do like a challenge though, 

Does anyone per chance have any Australian daybill, one sheet or an extremely unlikely to exist today three sheet images of the series entries that they can share with us here? Low expectation but one never knows.

Comments

• Sorry don't have any.
  • I can't help either I'm afraid.
  • Thanks Rick and Ves for responding.

This Ellery Queen example really highlights, compared to the U.S.A., the huge amount of missing posters from the period up to 1960. So many films, including some classics, I am unable to locate any Australian posters of.

Yes slowly and surely previous unseen titles turn up on a regular basis, yet we still have a long way to go. One has to wonder if there are a lot of missing yet unseen posters sitting in private collections known only to their owners, and also their family and friends.

The current project that I am undertaking in compiling a list of just only 1950's musical genre films has pressed home the point of where are these large numbers missing film posters? How many will ever surface, one has to wonder?
  • Hi Hondo! Just getting into the Ellery Queen series to collect.  If I run across material or further documentation on any international examples of this series I will let you know.
  • I've had many from all these crime series from the 40's but not one Ellery Queen - a mystery in itself.

• I've had many from all these crime series from the 40's but not one Ellery Queen - a mystery in itself.
    I did a little checking and found that Bruce has auctioned in the past 308 posters of Ellery Queen films. Interestingly 303 ( 98.4% ) are from the U.S.A.,,  with only 5 others ( 1.6% ) being from other countries.

• I can't recall ever having seen an Ellery Queen daybill.