Skip to content

''RKO 4 Star Logo Australian Poster Discussion'' (formerly the Dating the Wonder Man One Sheet)

Comments

• Are you implying this particular poster just might be for sale somewhere?  ;)
  • John has a 4 star RKO 3 sheet for Marine Raiders from 1944. It is interesting in the fact that in 1944 RKO were producing 3 sheets with the 4 star logo on them as well as their one sheets. If anyone else has any RKO 3 sheets from any period I would like to see the images.
  • edited October 2015

Cancelled.

• Cancelled what cancelled?
  • Had some new information on a RKO 6 star foreign poster but had trouble posting the image. All will be revealed soon but it isn't all that exciting.

• I have found another RKO 6 star logo foreign poster but am unable to download it. The poster is from France and is of Carefree the Astaire & Rogers film from 1938 and it was released in France in 1938 under the title of Amanda. 

To date I have only found two other foreign posters with the rare 6 star logo on them which were mentioned earlier in this thread. The previous titles were of Czech and Swedish origin. The 6 star usage in some European countries happened in the late 1930s into the early 1940s which corresponds with the time period Australia was using the 4 star logo on posters except that Australian one sheets and it appears from a recent discovery 3 sheets as well continued to be used later in the 1940s up to around 1948. Daybills with one exception ceased  using the 4 star logo in the early 1940s around the time the foreign 6 star logos also stopped.

• What is the link of the poster?
  • David said:
    What is the link of the poster?

www.portlandmuseum.org and look for A weekend of musicals at the museum.
  • Thanks David for that. I don't know why I was having problems with this image as I had no problems with some others.
  • edited October 2015

Have found another RKO 6 star logo appearing on an incredibly scarce herald from Poland. The film is Roberta ( 1935 ) but it would have been released later in the 1930s I am sure. We now have the 6 star RKO logo printed on Czech, Swedish, French and Polish posters.

•                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Attempted countless times to download these two images onto my original Dating the Wonder Man One sheet thread to no avail. David kindly downloaded the Amanda ( Carefree ) image for me earlier to that site. I am wondering if Matt or anyone else has any thoughts as to why the original thread doesn't allow me to download the picture onto the original thread yet allows me to do so here ? 
  • The photo drop down box doesn't totally appear?
  • I see. We'll look into it for you. I merged your query thread into the existing one for now.
  • Australian posters for The Madwoman Of Chaillot have been near impossible to locate to date. When I was involved with a film society this from memory was the only film we screened where no daybills were sent to us with the 16mm film.

• edited November 2015
    Never heard of the movie, a close up of the image reveals a few well known star from the day

• Yul Brynner.  Richard Chamberlin? 
  • Click the poster, zoom in...
  • I see, Dana Delany? Kate Hepburn? De Gaulle?
  • From left to right - Oscar Homolka, Nanette Newman, Donald Pleasence, Charles Boyer, Paul Henreid, John Gavin. Yul Brynner, Danny Kaye,   Katharine Hepburn, Giulietta Masina, Margaret Leighton, Edith Evans, Claude Dauphin and Richard Chamberlain.

• Oscar Homolka, knew the face not the name
  • Good to see our (unofficial) forum mascot maintaining his popualrity

Fair to Good US1SH, sells today for USD$44

• Thought this would be of interest to Lawrence. A four star RKO daybill in the 13" x 30" format, indicating that it is probably early 40s .....

• Thanks John and I will add this image to my RKO duotone file of which there are few other examples.

It appears the film was released in Australia in 1940 and the original Five Came Back poster would have been a full colour long daybill most likely printed by Simmons. So where goes this leave us with the duotone daybill? This poster appears to have been printed by Marchant & Co. and because of the four star logo I would say a second printing from between 1940 and 1942. Just finished looking at a duotone image of another RKO daybill of Joan Of Paris released in Australia in late 1942 which is without the four stars. As this is the period that RKO Australia dropped the four star logos on their daybills this would certainly date the Five Came Back duotone as printed sometime between 1940 and 1942. Keep in mind another fact before someone perhaps raises it RKO Australia for whatever reason continued using the four star logo on Australian one sheets up until around 1948 in Australia. Also I have found a Australian RKO three sheet from around 1944 also printed with the four star logo.

• The poster was actually printed by JNO Evans which makes dating it more problematical.

• John said:

The poster was actually printed by JNO Evans which makes dating it more problematical.

I couldn't read the name but now establishing the printer is JNO Evans as far as I am concerned based on all the other information I supplied it doesn't alter my belief in any way. More than happy to stay with my finding of follow up printing between 194O and 1942 but most likely on further thought either 1941 or 1942.
  • I would say most definitely after 1941 but hard to be sure when. JNO Evans printed many long daybills but there don't seem to have been too many in the 40s. Has anyone been able to establish when they stopped printing?
  • John said:
    I would say most definitely after 1941 but hard to be sure when. JNO Evans printed many long daybills but there don't seem to have been too many in the 40s. Has anyone been able to establish when they stopped printing?

My personal quess would be 1942. 1943 the four stars had been dropped by RKO but some Walt Disney posters printed on stock posters were possibly released in 1943 and possibly others in very early 1943 on posters printed in 1942 but not released until 1943..  . The last known daybill JNO Evans printed that I am aware of was around 1943.
  • An update on RKO 4 star logo films. I now have images for 28 Australian RKO Australian one sheets all with the 4 stars appearing on them. The films were released between 1936 and 1948.

For the record one RKO film The Arizonian released in Australia in 1935 has no star on the one sheet. One sheets previous to 1935 were without any stars also.

43 RKO films that I have images of for released RKO Australian one sheets from 1949 to 1958 are all without any stars at all which includes two re-issues of 1940s films in the 1950s.. 

Please post  images of any RKO Australian one sheets from anytime that I haven]t previously  mentioned on this thread. One recent find I need to add is My Forbidden Past an RKO Australian one sheet from 1951 without the stars.

Not enough examples regarding Australian three sheets but they appear to have followed the same pattern as the one sheets. I have located one mid 1940s three sheet with the four stars appearing and five posters from the 1950s without any stars at all.

As previously mentioned RKO daybills were produced for only a short period of time in Australia between late 1930s and the early 1940s with the four stars appearing. One found exception only was in the late 1940s when I am sure it was a  printing error from a printer who was printing the four star one sheets for RKO but very few daybills and was in a mistake when added on to the daybill. At some stage I hope to speak more about the RKO four star daybills and list examples with years and more iinformation.