Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

Missing 1950's and 1960's Horror & Sci-FI daybill images.

Comments

• RickRick Member Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited September 2015
    Thanks to Rick The Maze from 1953 is now available for all to see. Thinking it would have made a great image for a horror quiz- pity. Maybe in ten years time memories will have faded a bit to use it.
    Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,627 admin

Thanks for the info Phil!

Great information Phil. I will add that Macumba Love ran for a week at the Victoria Theatre in Newcastle and The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake ran for either 3 days or a week at the Victoria Theatre as well. Carnival Of Souls supported by The Devil's Messenger ran probably for a week at a cinema in George Street  Sydney. I believe the theatre was possibly a newsreel theatrette previously. Perhaps someone can confirm this and provide the name of the venue which up near the Regent. It would seem unusual that there are daybills around for The Devil's Messenger but not for Carnival Of Souls as they played as a double bill.

The trashing of stock doesn't sound too promising in my quest to find the growing number of missing daybill images.

Lawrence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Nice to see the two-headed Aussie censorship monster working together!
    Chris
    Where are the daybill posters, most likely duotone, of the  Dracula's Daughter ( 1936 ) and The Mummy's Curse ( 1944 ) 1950s re-releases ?
    Lawrence
    Although a 1970 release I would love to see a daybill image of Colossus The Forbin Project.
    Lawrence
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Picked us Colossus recently; let me look it out.
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,627 admin
    Pancho said:
    Looking forward to seeing it.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Pancho said:
    Looking forward to seeing it.
    Thanks for the image for this rare poster.
    Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited December 2015
    edited December 2015
    At last a decent size image has been found that I can show of Wheel Of Fire ( 1964 ) a.k.a. Pyro or Pyro The Thing Without A Face in the U.S.A. It is really a thriller with horror elements throughout the film.
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence

Additional information regarding Wheel Of Fire. The film was heavily censored in Australia The original film ran 90 minutes but was released in Australia with a reduced running time of 75 minutes. Notice the word romantic in the tagline. The role of Vance Pierson played in the film by Barry Sullivan was originally slated for Vincent Price to play.

Lawrence

Carnival Of Souls ( 1962) Australian daybill still hasn't surfaced but here is a 13'' x 15'' New Zealand poster from the films release there..
    Lawrence
     Just adding this image to this thread for the record. Thanks to all those that have contributed images to this thread since I introduced it in April, 2015. A good deal of previously little seen images now appear here for all to see. This is most appreciated. There are still around 25 previously mentioned titles still to surface. To remind you so we can still keep looking for the missing images I will list the titles and their Australian distributors in a new compact list soon..
    Lawrence
    edited May 2016

LOOKING FOR DAYBILL IMAGES FOR THE FOLLOWING - UPDATED 19 / 5 / 2016.

BLAKE FILMS

Fabulous World Of Jules Verne, The ( 1958 )

First Spaceship On Venus ( 1960 )  New - not listed previously.

Jack the Ripper ( 1959 )

Panic In year Zero ( 1962 )

Space Men ( 1960 )

Varan The Unbelievable ( 1962 )

REGENT ( RFD ) 

Carnival Of Souls ( 1962 )

Comedy Of Terrors, The ( 1963 )

Ghost Ship ( 1952 )

Last Woman On Earth, The ( 1960 )

Terror, The ( 1963 )

UNITED ARTISTS

Enemy From Space ( 1957 )

Flight That Disappeared ( 1961 )

Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake, The ( 1959 )

Neanderthal man, The ( 1953 )

Split, The ( aka The Manster ) ( 1959 ) I have sighted a duotone daybill in the past so one exists )

Two Lost Worlds ( 1951 )

Twonky, The ( 1953 )

Voodoo Island ( 1957 )

COLUMBIA

Most Dangerous Man Alive  ( 1961 )

Valley Of The Dragons ( 1961 )

CUC

Last Man On Earth, The ( 1964 )

RKO RADIO

Captive Women ( 1952 )

Might Joe Young ( 1949 )

MGM

First Man Into Space ( 1959 )

From The Earth To The Moon ( 1958 )

BEF

Hands Of Orlac, The ( 1960 )

UNKNOWN ( Most likely ROADSHOW  )

Man With The X-Ray Eyes ( 1963 )

Any one or 3 sheet images of the above rare titles would also be appreciated as well as daybill images.

Lawrence
    Didn't we have the Hands Of Orlac? I do have it, so let me know if the image isn't here.
    Pancho said:
    Didn't we have the Hands Of Orlac? I do have it, so let me know if the image isn't here.

I can't remember seeing it and it's definitely not on this thread anyway. It would be great if you would download the image.
    Lawrence
    Was PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES ever released in Australia ? Wondering if missing image or not!
    Sven said:
    Was PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES ever released in Australia ? Wondering if missing image or not!

The film was never released in Australia along with numerous other cheaply made black and white American Releasing / American International films from the 1950s with the genres not screened in Australia mainly being horror, science fiction and juvenile delinquency / road racing films. On this forum do a search for ''American International Pictures ( AIP ) Slow Start In Australia'' thread that I started in August, 2015 which should be helpful to you.

Lawrence

Additional title for a film I am looking for a daybill image of.

Curse Of The Faceless Man ( 1958 ).  There is a duotone version around but I believe there is a colour version also, so that is the version, if it does indeed exist, that I would love to see.

Lawrence
    edited June 2016

I have managed to locate a daybill image of Quatermass 2 / Enemy from Space and will post tommorrow. Interesting that it is re-titled and it's not Quatermass 2 or Enemy from Space . Can anyone guess the title out of interest?

Sven said:

I have managed to locate a daybill image of Quatermass 2 / Enemy from Space and will post tommorrow. Interesting that it is re-titled and it's not Quatermass 2 or Enemy from Space . Can anyone guess the title out of interest?

The film was released in Australia as Enemy From Space and I have seen an original release Australian newspaper advertisement showing this title. No idea as to a title change daybill, as I wasn't aware of any other title change in Australia of this film and The Creeping Flesh daybill that I have seen is the title change of the original U.K. The Quatermass Xperiment film. Very interested in what you have come up with.

Lawrence
    Hi lawrence will try to upload image tonight..but the title is Birth of a Monster  starring brian donlevy , sidney james, john longden..pritnted by we smith
    edited June 2016

I just checked and found Quatermass 11 was actually released in Australia in Sydney, N.S.W. on the 5th of December, 1957 under the title of Birth Of A Monster. I had previously thought it was called Enemy From Space, the U.S. and release title outside of the U.K,  on the Australian advertising material sighted years many ago. The Birth Of A Monster title  appears to have been  used only in Australia and your daybill is rare and am looking forward to seeing it and hoping it is a nicely designed daybill.

Lawrence