Skip to content

The Eisenhower Linenbacking Experience...

Comments

• Top notch stuff Mark!
  • Thanks, Matt! Appreciate it!

Ok, had the pleasure of working on this Australian Daybill this morning. The area of concern for the poster was the dirt that was embedded in the paper both front and back. 

Upper left corner showing dirt/grime, and thinning to the paper from pressure/wear. 

Backside

Up first on the wash table some soap to hopefully clean off some of the dirt/grim before the 20+ mins deacidification soak.
    -Ready to get wet and soapy!

Little soap to clean off the surface dirt/grim.

• Poster has undergone a deacidfiication, bleaching, and another deacidification bath before it's ready to be laid down on the masa paper. 
    Drying before the wheat paste glue. I let it dry about 15 mins give or take prior to applying the paste. 

The 60+ min wash took a little bit of a toll on the thin and weak paper in the upper left portion. A small piece broke free----to be addressed in the restoration phase. 

On the masa paper with the mylar still on top, almost ready to use a small towel to help the poster with it's glue adhere to the masa paper, no more brayer!

Poster has been backed successfully! It's now starting to dry. Will post more pics later-after drying for 3-4 days, the resto phase will begin! That's where the real fun begins!

• Great job Mark. Geee tough stain on top! 
  • Thanks Sven!

Its been a busy start to the year but have managed to address a few posters; one in progress, one new. 

The Verdict is almost done. 

Almost done-white not addesssed per request. 

• Today's linenbacking-purchased for a birthday gift. 
    Soaking on wash table- prior to 20 min deacidification bath-

Poster drying just after linenbacking

Minimal fold line touch up will be required-it will turn out nicely. 
  • Sweet!
  • Touch up on The Verdict finally done. It turned out well. Not too my expectations; but still learning color matching and blending of colors to match. 

Before

After

• edited March 2018
    Another poster i backed yesterday and started working on, West Side Story. 
    Pre-wash it had tape stains into the paper in the upper and lower middle border. A small amount of paper loss in the upper border, and two small areas of black "smudging" appearing to be grease? near the mid left border and upper left border. 
    Before-

The wash went well which included a bleaching, concentrating on the tape stains and black smudge areas. It slightly moderated them and will make it easier to cover them during the restoration phase. 
    After

• Looks great! You should absolutely be proud of the progress you’ve made in learning the art of conservation/restoration!
  • Thanks for the kind words, Rock. It's been almost 3 years? now and I certainly feel I've learned quite a bit.

Not enough time in the day to do as much as I'd like, but really enjoyable and relaxing to work with paper....and always something new-each poster unique. 
  • Keep at it! I’m sure it’s only a small part of what makes you the well rounded, interesting, kind individual you are. It seems cliche-ish to say, but the world is a better place for many because you’re in it. 
  • I received my wonderful daybills done by Mark today.
    I am absolutely thrilled with them.
    To call Silk Stockings sexy would be an understatement.
    Two will be going straight up in the frames when time permits.

Thanks so much Mark.  I absolutely adore them!
  • Glad your happy with them! It was a great learning experience & a lot of fun!  :)
  • Yahoo great work Mark and congrats Ves :)
  • Yahoo great work Mark and congrats Ves :)

Dito!!!
  • I received my wonderful daybills done by Mark today.
    I am absolutely thrilled with them.
    To call Silk Stockings sexy would be an understatement.
    Two will be going straight up in the frames when time permits.

Thanks so much Mark.  I absolutely adore them!
    Pictures! We need pictures! (unless I missed them earlier in the thread, in which case I'll return to my seat and be quiet :) )
  • Restoration beginning on this very nice Sound of Music 1sht. 

• edited April 2018
    Sound of Music completed this Sunday afternoon. 

Fold line seen from the angle. 

Complete! Looks good!

• She's left handed!  You know what they say...the more artistic of the bunch use their left!

Great work!
  • She looks happy... And a happy wife holding a poster is a treasure!
  • She's left handed!  You know what they say...the more artistic of the bunch use their left!

Great work!
    Charlie said:
    She looks happy... And a happy wife holding a poster is a treasure!
    Hahahah....exactly Ves! She see things I have no clue, when it comes to colors! 

Charlie, she's been a wonderful help and loves to concentrate and lose herself in coloring a poster. So proud of her work on our posters; a treasure indeed. I remember you commenting on your wife as she worked on The Prince and the Showgirl.  :)
  • Awesome Mark!  (Lefties are a devious lot - both my wife and daughter are left-handed too :o)
  • Beautiful on both counts! Well deserved congratulations on both, Mark! Happy wife = happy life! :) My significantly better half is a lefty as well and is also very artistically creative and talented. Just like Ves' hubby, we're members of the lucky guys club! :)
  • Thanks Rock! ...."Happy Wife=Happy Life"....truer words never spoken....

On another note, its been a very busy summer and my best laid plans to complete 4 posters in frames has been derailed by a work trip, family vacation & other assorted family activities. 

But i have been able to finally complete & cut down the OS for Lover Come Back. Nothing major wrong here, it just got pushed behind another frame....

Front showed minor fold erosion-the upper center fold was the most in need of coverage. And the just to the lower left of the D in Doris, their appears to be a "light" circle of color loss?

The wash phase-deacidification bath and buffer solution application- went well, but if you look closely, there was a small loss of paper, just to the lower left of the D in Doris. Loose paper due to the ink/printing process? Miscellaneous damage to the 56 year old paper? Anyway-an issue that would need addressing in the resto phase. 

Fold lines we're touched up, a small circle of paper was glued in the circular area-it was too deep to color over, and it was colored in as well. All in all, nothing significant here, but it did turn out nice. 

• Great job mate, have to start sending you my stuff ;) 
  • Lovely Mark!
  • Thanks Sven & Wil, appreciate it! 

Just cut down this HS. My only Hitch; it turned out nicely. It had some pinholes in the artwork that had to be touched up & a missing upper left corner.

Pre-backing photography not the best, but after some watercolor pencils, the addition of a new upper left corner, & a bit of spraying it turned out nicely. 
    BEFORE---

AFTER---