Skip to content

To Be Restored or Not To Be Restored, That Is The Question

I have a pile of posters that either need to be restored, need to be sold/traded or (really) need to be thrown out. I have picked them up over the years and to be honest I rarely look at them (probably that first time when I got them) mainly because handling them is not too good for them. I don't have a list of them all, so some titles are gentle reminders of what I have ("ohhhh I have that"). However I was going through them the other day to use as a theme for the Plate Round of the World Championships and it made me wonder, what have YOU got that is in such bad shape and you have yet to decide what to do with it?

Post pics of your dilapidated pieces too!

Comments

•  I have a few posters that have some heavy paper tape on back- that seems to be the accepted form of tape in the 30s/40s?- I don't have too many samples to judge. But only one that is in the fragile category. I am keeping all of mine as of now. My collection has just moved past 100+. Not nearly in the range of others I suspect, although I hope to one day have that dilemma. :smiley:
  • UGH this is a sore subject.  My "to be restored one day" pile just continues to grow.  I really wish I had even an ounce of artistic skill else I would take on my own projects like some others have...
  • Hmmm, yes I have the same problem. Over 30 odd I'd reckon. The set back now is the Aussie dollar. Groan!!! 
  • edited March 2015
    CSM said:
     I really wish I had even an ounce of artistic skill else I would take on my own projects like some others have...
    My wish too...

Here's an example, this will cost a fair whack to restore but then again, whose ever seen one? So perhaps it is worth it...one day

• I'd definitely get that restored Dave.

Scott yes but the House no. Too far gone with sun damage. I wish the snipe hadn't been ripped off, I would of kept that.

• @Matt I dunno, not 100% sure, there's others in the line in front of it, so perhaps. You'd jaw drop if you saw the colours/detail in real life.

Telegraph doesn't look that bad, is it really too far gone?

• It's probably best to frame as is because it looks like an old poster. The paper is so brittle you could snap pieces off with your fingers. That's what has happened with the borders.

I could pick one up for less than the cost of restoration, so it's not worth it. 
  • Plus I just remembered, got the US one sheet on linen.  ;)
  • Brittle paper, yeah that's a bummer.
  • For me it now depends on what I intend to do with it.

If I want to keep it and frame it and I think it needs it, I will get it restored and up on those walls.

I've spent many a penny on posters that I love, that I will never recover the cost of resto on.

This is a classic example of that:

For what it cost to get restored, I will never get my money back if I were to sell it, but I farken love it!  It puts a smile on my face no matter what, whenever I walk past it!

This is a classic example of I want to get it fixed because I love the poster (no idea about the film) something about it just draws me in...however, I have no idea about the missing bit and am in two minds of what I do:

Do I wait for another example to turn up and have it recreated, or do I just fix the chips and nicks in the borders, clean her up a bit and enjoy with the missing section in tact...I dunno...hence it is still sitting there waiting to have something done with it.

Bedroom Window which is gorgeous suffers the same fate:

Banjo on my knee however I don't really care for but can't bring myself to chuck out!

It is a real sickness I have.

With very rare exceptions, if I am going to sell or trade something on, I generally will leave it in the condition I got it because you don't know what the person who will be acquiring it will like...some like a more minimal approach to restoration while others want it like brand spanking new...so I will leave it to them to do with what they like when it joins their collection.

I think if you don't intend to keep and enjoy it, save your pennies and spend that resto money on something you will really appreciate.