Skip to content

When does it approach insanity?

So my wife has been working on me pretty hard for a couple of years to reduce the size of my collection.  Yesterday she even said "Wouldn't it be nice if the only posters you had, were on the wall?"  

I have to admit in stepping back and seeing how my collection has exploded, I am now waiting for a call from that hoarders show...  I think I've heard that it is borderline when you can't store them all etc., etc...

How would you go about cutting back?

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    I have a new rule for buying(which I have broken for completist reasons) where I ask myself. "Will I ever frame it and put it on the wall?" If no, don't buy it.
  • Having a limited budget has worked perfectly for me. To buy posters, I only use money I have won selling other posters, so when I decided to focus on certain important titles (important for me, of course), I just sold a lot of stuff I really liked, but didn't quite "fit" in that collection. The question before selling is: "am I really going to miss this if I sell it?" If the answer is no, goodbye poster. Didn't regret selling anyone yet.
  • I think my wife would like that idea...
  • I just went through my collection and thought the same thing. Am I going to ever put this on the wall? and if the answer was no then it went into the consignment pile. I sent off about 60 pieces recently for consignment. The money will either go towards future purchases for stuff I know I will display or towards frames. Although I am trying to purchase another wave runner. So we will see what the future holds.
  • Charlie said:
    I think my wife would like that idea...
    Oh, they always like it.
    Mine is still waiting for me to sell the Wolfman... :)
  • Keep away from the forums, linen backing, poster websites. After a while you'll wake up and realize WTF was I doing back then

• Yeah, my wife identified forums as a problem too..
  • Charlie said:
    Yeah, my wife identified forums as a problem too..

Ummm, 446 posts in 2 weeks?

• Somebody has to keep this place going...   [-O<
  • Just starting is insane.  It only gets worse from there...just avoid being institutionalized and you're good
  • What got you started Chris? What was your first poster?
  • edited April 2014
    This one (boredom and eBay do not mix - look what it has done to me!  The daybill bug cannot be eradicated...)

• Literally whipped by your first daybill....shit so was I.

• First Daybill...  Hmmm  From John R...  Way back in oh... 2005 maybe?  Unfortunately, I shouldn't claim it anymore.  I got excited when I started linenbacking and backed it and sent it off to Bruce...  Funny, I kinda regret it every now and then.  But I have the OS and Japan B2...  See what I mean about cutting back - I am doomed to depression.

• 110x75 said:
    To buy posters, I only use money I have won selling other posters
    This is how I operate...
  • first poster was one of these. I purchased it in early in 1991 for $20 when I was 14. Its in the garage somewhere.

• Gee wiz what a first poster Michael. Best poster for the title by far.
  • edited April 2014
    I was trying to get either a Godfather Part 1 or 2 one sheet that day, but didn’t have enough money. The guy who was selling the posters was trying to push a Goodfellas one sheet on me instead of a Godfather poster. Even then I had really no interest in owning modern U.S. current release posters. So I went with the advance. Looking back I’m glad I did.

• When you keep trying to participate in this fucking wacked out job of a forum... Vanilla bastards!
  • I cant imagine what youre entire collection has Michael, you have some great posters.
  • I can... Just think of the one poster you want - he has it.  Let's test the theory...

Rear Window Three Sheet?
  • wow, thats crazy you mentioned rear window. I don't have a three sheet, but I'm leaving in two hours to go look at RW one sheet. I'm not buying it until the end of this month. I'll try and post a quick photo later.
  • Bastageness...  =P~  Happy for you...
  • Thanks Charlie. It’s not mine yet but will be at the end of the month. I have to pay for Barbarella first. When I get it I will take a better photo.

• The poster looks a little aged but that doesn't stop the colours popping...WOW!
  • Swwwwwweeet as 
  • Sweeter if it was on my wall...
  • So Charlie was 1/3 correct!
  • Looks good too me Michael, congrats!
  • Looks great. I bet your excited to obtain it.