Skip to content

Looking For A Phantom Daybill?

Do you search for any daybill titles that you have have never found  and just put in down to that the poster is rare? It also may be that the films were never released in Australia theatrically due not only to the films being banned but also for other reasons as well.

Some of the titles that fall into this category are ---'

The Night Of The Hunter

The Last Mile ( Mickey Rooney version )

Queen Of Outer Space

World Without End

Brides Of Dracula

Kongo

The Fly series

The majority of the 1950's Bowery Boys & Bomba series from Monogram / Allied artists

and the list goes on.

It is a pity no paper of any sort exists for the classic The Night Of The Hunter due to the banning  in Australian.

Hondo

Comments

• Intereating. I sometimes wonder whether Attack of the 50ft Woman daybill existed? Or just banned lr never released?
  • Attack Of The 50ft Foot Woman was banned in Australia in 1958. It appears the film was finally passed for exhibition with a PG rating in 1994 for release on videotape.

Hondo

• I've never seen daybills for any of those titles
  • Thanks hondo, good to know as no need to yearn for it now!
  • I'm assuming you mean a nice daybill for Brides of Dracula and not the fugly one seen more regularly?
  • Are you referring to this one?  If you are this is a daybill printed for the New Zealand only release with their censorship rating on it printed at the time of it's original N.Z. release in the 1960's. The film was banned in Australia until 1972 so this one slipped into the mix by an oversight on my part. Do you have an image to show me? If it is an image from the 1972 Australian releases i am sure it will be a duotone or economically produced poster that one wouldn't be seeking out. Curious - let me know.

Hondo

• I would like to see a daybill for Detour - if one exists!
  • John said:
    I would like to see a daybill for Detour - if one exists!

Yes so would I. I'll try and find out if Detour was released in Australian or not?

Hondo

• I could have sworn I saw one with the Aus rating but can't find it now...maybe it was for something else with a similar image?

• John said:
    I would like to see a daybill for Detour - if one exists!
    You and me both John!  I have asked around about this one many, many times...
  • edited June 2015

Newspaper files from 1945 onwards appear to have not record of this film being released in Australia. I have no record of it being banned and I cannot see why it would have been.The only thing I can think of is it was made on a shoestring budget and released by the king of poverty row distributors PRC and not all their product was picked up for distribution in Australia  so I am thinking no daybill.Just had a quick check of the more well known PRC titles such as Devil Bat, Fog Island &  Nabonga and couldn't find any daybill images. The only one of these three titles that appeared to have been released in Australia that I could find was Nabonga.Seems as if only selective titles were taken up for distribution in Australia.

Hondo

• I always figured as much. Never really expected that Detour would have had an Aussie release (sadly)
  • Has anyone encountered Aussie paper for Night and the City, Decoy or Treasure of the Sierra Madre?
  • Re brides, I think I am getting confused with something else...
  • Thanks Ves
  • Looking at the great collection from Chris on another thread and seeing one of his posters reminded me you will not find Australian paper on The Day Of The Triffids if any one is looking.
  • Like to see a daybill or Australian one sheet on Gun Crazy.
  • Does a daybill for Dr Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs exist?
    Not sure if this Vincent Price title was ever released in Australia. Cannot find any newspaper advertisements for a theatrical release but only television screenings with the earliest being in 1972. I will check into this a little more and get back to you with  n answer one way or the other soon.
  • HONDO said:
    Like to see a daybill or Australian one sheet on Gun Crazy.
    If one is found I would suspect the title would be "Deadly is the Female" given Aussie censorship sensibilities...
  • I've been offered one. The guy wanted 3.5k for it..
  • Another one I don't recall ever seeing is Kiss Me Deadly
  • Pretty sure I've seen Kiss Me deadly...

It appears Ves you will be missing a copy of a daybill for your Vincent Price collecion as my sources of reference  have no record of an Australian theatrical release.It certainly would not have been banned so it was probably because , to be polite, the film wasn't very good. Could possibly have been released in New Zealand though.

• Thank Lawrence.  I suspected as much after years of Bikini Machines turning up left right and centre, but no Girl Bombs...

Just thought I would take the opportunity to confirm once and for all.

Thanks again!

• CSM said:
    HONDO said:
    If one is found I would suspect the title would be "Deadly is the Female" given Aussie censorship sensibilities...

It was released as Gun Crazy in Australia. I have just confirmed this with multiple Australian newspaper advertisements from 1950.

• HONDO said:
    CSM said:
    HONDO said:

It was released as Gun Crazy in Australia. I have just confirmed this with multiple Australian newspaper advertisements from 1950.

Interesting thanks. And yet Born to Kill was released as Deadlier Than the Female
  • The title of Born To Kill was actually changed to Deadlier Than The Male ( not Female ) in Australia which happened to be  the U.S. working title. 

• HONDO said:

The title of Born To Kill was actually changed to Deadlier Than The Male ( not Female ) in Australia which happened to be  the U.S. working title. 

You're absolutely right Lawrence - typo on my part with the "female"