Skip to content

Old Photos of Posters and Advertising Out and About in Oz

Comments

• Terrific topic, thanks all
  • 117th WEEK!  WOW...
  • Check out the website  www.themajestictheatre.com.au and have a read.

My wife and I attended a screening of The Son Of The Sheik in the late 1980s or even may have been it very early 1990s. The owner  who was dressed like a showman  welcomed everyone  that attended and addressed the audience before the screening and encouraged  them to participate in the screening by cheering the hero and booing the villians as the audiences would have done in the 1920s, before he played the accompanying  music for the film on the piano.

• Very cool
  • In the Major Auction Of Mechanical Music that was held at Belmore, Sydney on the 7th of November, 1998 there were 8 lots up for auction of what appears in the catalogue as ''Hand painted / collage  hoarding Movie Theatre''. There were 6 individual titles plus 2 double bills. The posters were from the late 1920s into the early 1930s.  Two were withdrawn, one sold for $50 and the other five all sold for $80. Titles included Rio, The Yankee At King Arthur's Court and The Gorilla. Interestingly three were signed by Starr & Co.( one ) & Gilbert Pike ( 2 ) which is interesting to know
  • edited July 2015

Cancelled.

•                 In these days of the decreasing use of advertising in cinemas it is exhilarating to be able to look back at some photographs taken around the period between 1937 and 1939 where massive advertising at Paramount's Capitol theatre in Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria took place. Photographs courtesy of State Library Victoria. Of interest in  the last photograph just above notice the man holding a portable sign. Is this a theatre employee with some sort of instructions regarding the theatre?
  • Whoa, great pics there!
  • Beautiful photos...
  • How things change. We now jump in time to 1950 with a United Artist film Champion being advertised on a much smaller scale than the Paramount 1930's period.

• Great photos Lawrence.
  • The old Majestic Theatre in Rosewood in the 1920s...if you look really carefully you can see my Scaramouche poster!  Well not mine, but you get what I am saying right?!?!

• Geez, they really went out of their way to advertise films back then. Quite impressive!
  • Haven't gone since they changed hands, but loved going to the Astor to sell the oldies...did you go Matt?

Something about the atmosphere...far out the theatres were stunning back then.  Now they just try to pack em in...and they wonder why people stopped going...

• edited August 2015

"This theatre is scientifically heated"...WTF!?!

• Way older. Silent films  in 1927 or possibly 1928 being advertised outside the Hoyts Regent Theatre at South Yarra, Victoria. Note the three billboard displays on the left of the above picture.

• Great pics everyone - but I have one question = where are all the freakin' daybills?!  My day dreaming about where my posters could have once been displayed is being ruined!
  •  

From 1939 to 2015 how times change at cinemas.

•                                                      The Bride Of Frankenstein ( 1935 ) and King Kong ( 1933 ) advertising from the Grand Theatre in Perth. I cannot see enough of this type of advertising.
  • Fantastic lawrence ! Agree can never have enough of these.
  • wow!
  • These are fun pics to see.
  • Great work John as we need to preserve this history for all to see.
  •  Man-Eater Of Kumaon and Abbott And Costello Meet The Ghosts ( aka Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein ). Both from 1948. The cinema is the Theatre Royal in Perth. It is awful to contemplate at what would have happened to the majority of the large advertising material.
  • I seem to remember there is a website dedicated to showcasing old cinemas and includes old images...will find it
  •            The Love Mart  ( 1927 ) and The Last Frontier ( 1926 ) advertising material displayed at the Grand Theatre, Perth. Without trying to enlarge the photographs, do the male images on three of The Love Mart displays remind you of someone else ? Love the Billie Dove and north American Indian standee's.
  • Elvis