Skip to content

There Are Australian Daybill & One Sheets Existing For These Films.

I am currently working on a master list of Films released in Australia from 1927 up to 1969 where over many years I have personally sighted either daybill or Australian one sheet images and made a note of the titles at the time. All the films on this list will be for titles where no images have been sighted on any websites to my knowledge. By doing this I am hoping some of there missing poster images will turn up on this thread.

Will be happening soon.

Comments

• That sounds like a huge project but well worthwhile!
  • Oh exciting!  Can't wait.
  • By publishing an ongoing list it will hopefully give some members some believe that they perhaps will one day find Australian paper now that they know it exists for a  particular title that they have been keen about for years.
  •                                                                                                         Before I start posting details on what will be a large task I wish to state that there are two styles of long daybill for the 1927 W. C. Fields film Running Wild. The  above is the one that surfaced in recent times but there is also a second style I sighted about 20 years ago as well which from memory had a white background and a different design.
  • Ridiculously large project, looking forward to the results!
  • Yes it will be a long difficult task but I am glad some members look forward to seeing the results.

Have been giving it a lot of thought lately in how to tackle things and I have decided to commence the project with the Australian posters from 1927 to 1932 that were sold at the Pickles Major Auction Of Mechnical  Music on Saturday the 7th of November, 1998, in Sydney. There were 66 individual film titles, some with multiple designs, that were auctioned. One only was a long daybill and two were portrait design one sheets of Cyril Maude the actor and most likely from the  British1931 film These Charming People. This then leaves 63 one sheets. Five only I have found images of and these being Trader Horn, Politics, This Modern Age, Sidewalks of New York and Blackmail. After taking these into account this leaves 58 titles. These will be the titles I will soon commence working on.

• Australian one sheets sighted at Pickles Auction on the 7th of November, 1998. All the following titles were listed in the auction catalogue and as I sighted them as well we know there is paper out there somewhere.

LIST ONE OF AUSTRALIAN ONE SHEETS.TOTAL OF 58 TITLES.

1927. Clancy's Kosher Wedding ( U.S.A. FBO silent ) Released in Australia in 1929 by RKO Radio Pictures.

1928. Home James ( U.S.A. Universal silent )

1929. The Devil's Apple Tree ( U.S.A. Tiffany Productions silent )

Rio Rita U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures

Red Hot Speed ( U.S.A. Universal )

The Last Of Mrs, Cheyney ( U.S.A. M-G-M  part talkie )

1930.  Men Are Like That ( U.S.A. Paramount )

The Costello Case ( U.S.A. Sono Art - World Wide Pictures ) 

The Silver Horde ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )

The Bottom Of The World ( U.S.A. Talking Pictures Epics )

New Moon ( U.S.A. M-G-M )

The Vagabond King ( U.S.A. Paramount )

Her Man ( U.S.A. Pathe Exchange )

Night Work ( U.S.A. Pathe Exchange )

Danger Lights ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures)

Young Eagles ( U.S.A. Paramount Pictures )

The Virtuous Sin ( U.S A. Paramount Pictures )

Playboy Of Paris ( U.S.A. Paramount Pictures )

May I Come In ( aka Part Time Wife ) ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

She's My Weakness ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )

The Border Legion ( U.S.A. Paramount Pictures )

The Light Of Western Stars ( U.S.A. Paramount Pictures )

Alias French Gertie ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )    

Check and Double Check  ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )

1931    The Spider ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

Sob Sister ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

Surrender ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation }

Not Exactly Gentlemen  ( aka Three Rogues ) ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

Son Of India ( 1931 ) ( U.S.A. M-G-M )

Night Angel ( U.S.A. Paramount Pictures )

Gentleman's Fate ( U.S.A. M-G-M )

Fighting Caravans ( U.S.A. Paramount Pictures )

City Streets ( U.S.A. Paramount Pictures )

The Lawyer's Secret ( U.S.A. Paramount Pictures )

Dishonored ( U.S.A. Paramount Pictures )

Just A Gigolo ( U.S.A. M-G-M )

Pardon Us ( U.S.A. M-G-M )

Never The Twain Shall Meet ( U.S.A. M-G-M )

A Free Soul ( U.S.A. M-G-M )

These Charming People ( U.K.- U.S.A. Paramount British Pictures )

The Tip-Off ( U.S.A. RKO-Pathe Distributing Corp.

A Woman Of Experience ( U.S.A. RKO- Pathe Distributing Corp. )

The Cisco Kid ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

Palmy Days ( U.S.A. United Artists )

Bad Girl ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

Who Is The Spy ( aka The Spy ) ( U.S A. Fox Film Corporation )

Kisses By Command ( aka The Gay Diplomat ) ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )

The Royal Bed  ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )

Caught Plastered ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )

Wicked ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

Skyline ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

Transatlantic ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

Don't Bet On Women ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation )

The Sin Ship ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )

Beau Ideal ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )    

High Stakes ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )

Three Who Dared ( U.S.A. RKO Radio Pictures )

1932    The Rainbow Trail ( U.S.A. Fox Film Corporation ) U.S.A. release date 3rd January, 1932.

Interesting things to point out.

Breakup of individual titles.

Single copies x 36 titles

Two copies x 15 titles

Three copies x 3 titles

Four copies x 2 titles

Six copies x 1 title

Eight copies x 1 title

I remember some of the one sheets had the word SILENT stamped on the bottom of the posters. If memory serves me right some of the films marked were sound films and the posters would have been for their silent screenings still happening in 1930 and 1931 at least in some country areas.

Skyline marked in the catalogue as having two different styles.

Wicked marked in catalogue as two out of the three posters being auctioned in poor condition. Remember the condition of the Blackmail image marked in the same way in the same auction?

The Sin Ship marked one out of the two in catalogue being in poor condition.

Palmy Days in catalogue lists 8 one sheets. I remember there were at least two different styles confirmed but I believe at least one more style was included also. Just out of interest on top of this there was also a complete 3 sheet in one lot that also included another half only of another 3 sheet of Palmy Days.

I will post some images soon of some U.S. one sheets that I have found images of that are similar to the auctioned Australian one sheets so one can at least see what the posters looked like and let me state right now that during this period Australian one sheets looked great.

Following after that the second of Australian one sheets will commence being compiled  with titles to be listed being from the 1940s and 1950s.

• edited July 2015

The Australian one sheets listed above were very similar in design and quality of artwork to this U.S. paper. More to follow. 

• Great L & H artwork.
  • Wouldn't you just love to see the art on some all of these?!
  • Similar U.S.artwork to Australian one sheets auctioned.

• Surrender is amazing!
  • Wouldn't you just love to see the art on some all of these?!
  • Surrender is amazing!

''You ain't seen nothin' yet!  More soon.
  • HONDO said:
    Surrender is amazing!

''You ain't seen nothin' yet!  More soon.
    I'm gunna cry

in a manly way of course
  • That is quite a list!  Wowee and some gorgeous posters. 
  •                                                                                                                                                                                    Two more of the U.S. artwork similar to the  Australian one sheets auctioned. Very small photographic images in auction catalogue appeared in black and white but appeared to be the same design..

• There are some really beautiful posters still to come. I cannot spoil you with posting them in one hit as you will need to take your time to appreciate them.
  • Beau Ideal, Surrender...

Gawd dammit...
  • Why are there no pics of the actual Aussie posters?   Auction catalogue did not have them?
  • CSM said:
    Why are there no pics of the actual Aussie posters?   Auction catalogue did not have them?

No pictures except for on the back page a very small black and white photograph of a collection of eight posters only. This photograph plus five posters sold  of Australian posters from this auction I have accessed images from the web along with all my extensive notes from looking at all the posters pre auction and my memory which stands up well when it comes to film related information is the sum total of what I am working with on this project. I will continue to download images where I am positive the U.S. designs were very similar to the Australian one sheets sold. Once I exhaust this material I will clearly state any information on any images I may decide to post after that as there are a few magnificent looking posters that deserve to be seen. I have found a lot of the titles sold had at least two styles and in the case of Palmy Days possibly three so we will most likely never know which one was sold in the Pickles auction. One I have been able to identify though is The Vagabond King which I have two styles images of. Due to seeing the black and white photograph I know in this case which one was auctioned out of the two. I will  download both styles soon and I believe they decided to use the wrong one for the Australian release assuming they only used one design. Be interested to see what others think though?
  • CSM said:
    Why are there no pics of the actual Aussie posters?   Auction catalogue did not have them?
    It was 1998, the camera hadn't yet been introduced to Australia, hell colour TV had only been out for 6 months...
  • The U.S.image just above is the one that is very similar to an image pictured in the catalogue of the poster that was sold. To my mind the other U.S.poster pictured  above this one would have been the style to have used in Australia.

• Am at work today and can't see the new images posted...which I am guessing is a good thing because then there would be more stuff I would be wanting right...
  • tt                                                                                                                                                                                       In the period from 1929 to 1931 when the majority of the Australian one sheet posters are from in the Pickles auction the quality of the artwork and the similarity to the U.S. artwork jumps out at me .

I have decided to show both the Australian and U.S. artwork for two titles to highlight and showcase the similarity of designs and how in this period the Australian artwork held its own against the original material and in the following two Australian examples are more appealing due to the use of colour. The use of dark blue, red and yellow on the Australian poster look far superior to the American use of colour on their poster and the colour selected for  Politics on the Australian poster was a much wiser choice than the American decision.

• HONDO said:
    CSM said:

No pictures except for on the back page a very small black and white photograph of a collection of eight posters only. This photograph plus five posters sold  of Australian posters from this auction I have accessed images from the web along with all my extensive notes from looking at all the posters pre auction and my memory which stands up well when it comes to film related information is the sum total of what I am working with on this project. I will continue to download images where I am positive the U.S. designs were very similar to the Australian one sheets sold. Once I exhaust this material I will clearly state any information on any images I may decide to post after that as there are a few magnificent looking posters that deserve to be seen. I have found a lot of the titles sold had at least two styles and in the case of Palmy Days possibly three so we will most likely never know which one was sold in the Pickles auction. One I have been able to identify though is The Vagabond King which I have two styles images of. Due to seeing the black and white photograph I know in this case which one was auctioned out of the two. I will  download both styles soon and I believe they decided to use the wrong one for the Australian release assuming they only used one design. Be interested to see what others think though?
    Thanks Lawrence.  Is there any information in the catalogue on where or how the posters were found?  Were they found together or were they part of someone's collection?
  • David said:
    CSM said:
    It was 1998, the camera hadn't yet been introduced to Australia, hell colour TV had only been out for 6 months...
    So by next year you guys can look forward to Drop Bears in HD!
  • CSM said:

Thanks Lawrence.  Is there any information in the catalogue on where or how the posters were found?  Were they found together or were they part of someone's collection?

This is all I can tell you. There were a total of 295 lots in the catalogue and from the front page ---

MAJOR AUCTION

OF

MECHANICAL MUSIC

Under instructions from Tom and Chris Coxall due to the closure of their Museum in Lynoch, South Aust. and transported to Sydney for Auction, and other vendors.

• Unfortunately when I do a search of "Tom and Chris Coxall movie posters" I get a circular reference and the #1 result brings me back to this thread...

...damn you Search Engine Optimisation!
  • http://www.mmdigest.com/Archives/Digests/199811/1998.11.21.12.html

"Lots 182 to 295 were old movie posters of no interest to me"

:|