Skip to content

Selling Large Original Lolita Poster Framed in French!

Hi there,

My wife and i bought an original on linen Lolita movie poster 3 years ago that is framed.  It is the French one.   It is this one here:

http://www.limageriegallery.com/French_Movie_Poster_Lolita_p/french182.htm

We have moved and it won't fit in our new apartment in Marrickville in inner Sydney.

Anyone interested?

Cheers.

Comments

• Hello Stuart

Can we see a quality (hi res) picture of yours?
    How much do you want for yours?
    How is it framed?
    Is the poster stuck to the backboard inside the frame?
    Is/was the poster folded?
    Is it au natural or on linen?
    Can the poster be removed from the frame (rolled up and posted)

Sorry for the inquisition but this poster was reproduced some years back and is often mistaken as an original, everyone here will want to be doubly careful.
  • Oh sorry David didn't know any of that about being reproduced!

We paid $2,000 for it so happy to take $1,600.

Yes it is on linen and not stuck to the backboard.

Image of it on our wall to see the framing:

http://postimg.org/image/x1fibotob/

Cheers, Stuart

• Sorry, should have asked - what are the poster's exact measurements?

I can't see any fold lines?

• Yes sorry i will confirm measurements when i get home tonight - it's bloody huge though!

No fold lines at all.
  • Where'd you buy it?

How much without the frame?
  • Yes we bought it from Kuro Studio on Enmore Road, Newtown.

Without the frame - maybe $1300?  Looks great in the frame though!
  • Kerry from Koru can confirm its authenticity too.
  • Kerry is a good bloke and knows his stuff.
  • I measured and the size of the frame is 168cm by 129cm.
  • There is a good chance it is the "questionable" one. At some point in the 1980s, a French dealer turned up with a large number of French Lolita one-panel posters that he said were a "warehouse find". They were all unfolded and in wonderful condition, but he claimed they were original to 1962.

Most people believe that the dealer had arranged for a run of reproductions (perhaps he had located the original printing plates, because they are of a high quality). When I auction one of those posters, I label it as a 1980s REPRODUCTION.

We saw many of these posters offered in the 1980s, but in the past 20 years, we have almost never seen them offered at all, so it seems that the people who bought them in the 1980s are happy to keep them, whether they are an original, a "re-strike", or a reproduction. The last one we auctioned was not backed and sold for $682.

I have never auctioned a proven original. I was told by Jose Carpio, the leading dealer in non-U.S. posters in the 1980s, that all of the proven originals had strong darkening on the folds.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• So if that's the case, that originals all had darkening fold lines, then it looks like the copy that L'Imagerie Gallery is offering could also be one of these unfolded, "questionable" copies, as the image on the site shows NO fold lines either. (Of course, it could also have been re-touched, during the backing, too).

• Coincidentally, I was offered this framed Lolita poster recently also framed. I explained to the owner that this was almost certainly a 1980s repro

• @John

If that is from NSW then I was offered the same one and explained the repro issue too.

So if that's the case, that originals all had darkening fold lines, then it looks like the copy that L'Imagerie Gallery is offering could also be one of these unfolded, "questionable" copies, as the image on the site shows NO fold lines either. (Of course, it could also have been re-touched, during the backing, too).

Yes, it could be a repro, one would have to ask to see a hi-res image and a few other questions to establish it's authenticity. As Bruce suggests, most if not all have been fooled by the 80s repro.

• David said:
    @John

If that is from NSW then I was offered the same one and explained the repro issue too.
    It was from NSW. Interesting that both styles of Lolita French framed posters are being offered from NSW.

• The fact that a French 1P, supposedly from 1962 and NOT ever folded (rolled) would/should be a huge RED flag, I would think.

Even today, French 1Ps are still folded.
  • I am honestly unsure about any of that!  I just bought it from Kerry from Koru studios 3 years ago which he can confirm.

How can i tell if it is a reproduction or not?
  • I think as @papergatherer said, evidence of fold lines would be a start.
  • Yep cool - let me check tonight!
  • Hey folks, new to this site, but I wanted to let you know that I was recently asked by a friend here in California to find him one exactly like this one for him as he'd seen it in the Napa region at a restaurant.  I told him there is no way the original art was that stylized and, in my quite humble opinion, this LOLITA French poster is far too airbrushed and appears like an homage to Patrick Nagel's work in the 1980's. 

I have to agree with Bruce on this one (as usual) wholeheartedly.

Best to all,

Patrick
  • Again, not sure at all!  But happy to sell as it's a great piece for a large wall.
  • poczynek said:
    Again, not sure at all!  But happy to sell as it's a great piece for a large wall.
    Sadly, given the high probability of it being a reproduction, I am just not so sure you'll find too many takers at the price you are hoping for here.
  • Airbrushed (painted over) folds would be easy to see, held in bright light. If you see no evidence of either actual, physical paper folds or airbrushed (added) paint, then this is likely a 1980's reproduction that was discussed a few posts ago.
  • Cool thanks - will check out tonight.
  • poczynek said:
    Cool thanks - will check out tonight.
    Did you ever find anything more out, when you looked at you poster more up close?
  • poczynek said:
    Cool thanks - will check out tonight.
    Did you ever find anything more out, when you looked at you poster more up close?
    Yes pretty sure it is not an original.  Couldn't see creased lines.

Still happy to sell as you would hardly notice any difference to an original.
  • Unless you have a magnifying glass that is!