Skip to content

September 2016

Comments

• Here's another one for the "things I bought and sent to Charlie" thread...

El inquisidor (the inquisitor) is an Argentina-Perú coproduction from 1975 and the only genre film made in that decade down here. I have been looking one of these for quite some time. The one pictured was in my watch list for months, but I was not going to buy it as the condition issue I hate the most is trimmed borders and this one has not only the borders trimmed, but some text missing up and down.
    The other day I remembered seeing one for sale at Vincent Gallo's site ages ago and went there to see if it was still available. It was not, but it looked pretty similar to the one on ebay.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed both had the same missing bits, trimmed areas and the remaining piece of snipe at top was the same, so, it was the same poster.

Being a big fan of Mr. Gallo's work, I thought it was pretty cool to have a poster that was previously in his collection, so I got it.

• Got it today...
  • It's better in person!
  • Nnnnnnnnnnnnice!

• Nice story there Matais, and congrats.

I notice the magnets are the same as Bruce's:  http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/EL%20INQUISIDOR/archive.html
  • So Bruce had it too! That poster sure traveled a lot!
  • Love how Gallo's movie posters are all the same price -- $210.
    WTF?
  • Brude said:
    Love how Gallo's movie posters are all the same price -- $210.
    WTF?
    Maybe the number sounded good?
  • I think he adds a two in front of the price he paid.
  • I don't usually buy posters for films that I don't know anything about, but here's an oddity that really caught my eye, so I bid away til it was mine.

Its from a 1958/59 31 min. Russian tele-film called Vedma (Witch) and I was drawn to the subdued yet powerful image.

• It is a great looking poster Ted.
  • Thanks, Matias.
    Winning a poster like this from time to time helps take the sting off all the disappointing losses.  And there are many...
  • I lost 2 danish posters and 1 russian today (not that I bid a BUNCH on any of them), but yeah, it happens...
  • Charlie said:

Untitled
    Great still!
    Is this a UK FOH 8x10?
  • Very nice Ted! Unique..gives me a London after midnight chill!
  • Me too, Sven.
    Thanks!
  • Tis UK FOH Ted..

And excellent pick-up, you have a great eye..
  • Nice grab Ted - as you say, subtle yet poewerful art
  • Brude said:
    Charlie said:

Untitled
    Great still!
    Is this a UK FOH 8x10?
    Yes.  Imagine my surprise to find it in a stack of stills in the middle of an antique show in Texas.
  • There's this giant-ass pileated woodpecker that routinely works the trees around my house and when he's working, its hard to hear anyone knocking at the door.
    A few moments ago I thought that red-headed giant was back but to my surprise, it was the post lady with a tube...
    Rounding out my international month is this cool Thai version of The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)

• Brude said:
    I don't usually buy posters for films that I don't know anything about, but here's an oddity that really caught my eye, so I bid away til it was mine.

Its from a 1958/59 31 min. Russian tele-film called Vedma (Witch) and I was drawn to the subdued yet powerful image.

Looks like Ari! 
    Great poster  =)
  • I had to look up "pileated"  =)

Top Thai Too Ted - (avoid alliteration always )
  • David said:
    I had to look up "pileated"  =)
    They're about the size of a crow and can take a tree apart like it was nothing.

• Mirosae said:
    Looks like Ari! 
    Great poster  =)
    Thanks, Rosa.
    It does bear a striking resemblance to the Offaleater, doesn't it?

• Brude said:
    I don't usually buy posters for films that I don't know anything about, but here's an oddity that really caught my eye, so I bid away til it was mine.

FAR OUT!  I love this!  Gorgeous.  Congratulations Ted!
  • Thank you, Vesna.
    I'm trying to find out more about the poster artist 'Khazanovski,' but I'm coming up empty handed.
    Maybe Bruce has more info?

• edited September 2016

Try over on NSFGE

If I recall correctly, one of the guys there was into Russian posters so he might know.

Name escapes me...he might be on APF as well?

• Brude said:
    Thank you, Vesna.
    I'm trying to find out more about the poster artist 'Khazanovski,' but I'm coming up empty handed.
    Maybe Bruce has more info?

Go into Bruce's site and type in Khazanovski and four pages of his Russian film posters are there for you to see if you haven't viewed them already. An interesting poster is not from a Russian film but for a British film titled A Cry From The Streets ( 1958 ). Details on the artist seems almost non existent though. His work reasonably available but nothing  much on the man himself. 
  • edited September 2016

Spent the day sorting and sorting through a mountain of stuff accumulating on the table.

No idea when they were purchased but photographed and sorted today!

Thanks to Charlie for helping me get this one.  nice RR.

The Charge of the Light Brigade RR Daybill

Long ones mostly from Bruce:

Children of the Ritz Long Daybill

This style of long ones are fast growing on me...no idea why!

For Your Daughter's Sake Long Daybill

The Hottentot Long Daybill

The Michigan Kid Long Daybill

Public Hero No 1 Long Daybill

The Gay Bride Long Daybill

For the VP collection:

The Bat Australian One Sheet

Couldn't stop staring at it so bought it poster:

Second Chance daybill

Finally get to join the club poster :)

Murder in the Big House daybill

Wanted it for far too long...life's short so bought it poster!

One Body Too Many Daybill