Skip to content

Eye Candy: Under the Floorboards - Behind the Wall

edited November 2016 in Recent Acquisitions
As most of you know I picked up a couple of collections a few years ago. The first was famously referred to as the Under the Floorboards find, a collection of posters from as early as 1939 had,  in 1941/42 been used as floor insulation by a local movie theatre projectionist on his home. 70 plus years later his grandchildren, during a home reno found them, long story short they came to me.

Within it was an absolutely fabulous collection of Daybills, One Sheets and a few 3 Sheets.

Among the titles was the very beautiful original Wizard of Oz which I helped market and sell at my own auction for what John Reid tells me was a record price for an Australian movie poster at an auction (in Australia).

The condition of the posters varied, after all it had been under the floorboards for 70 or so years, nail holes, liquid stains etc etc but what was special was the vibrance of the colours of these posters - quite wonderful.

Some rare posters for Australian films were donated to National Film and Sound Archive, some were sold during the aforementioned auction, some have been restored and are in my collection which you have seen, some have yet to be restored or won't be and remain in my private collection.

The second collection I picked up was referred to as the Behind the Wall collection, it was mainly titles from the early 50s. The story goes that the owner of the local movie theatre went into the rag trade, bought a shop and lined the walls with daybills and 1sheets.

I have shared some images from both collections, but not all, time being the issue...but as I am getting many of them them ready to sell I took some photos today and I thought I would share here, I know some people are keen to see them. I've only done the 1 sheets at the moment, I've got a lot of posters to get through.

Hope you enjoy them

edited since the original post (see below)

For people like Matt who want to watch with coffee in one hand, toast in the other
http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/SilhouetteNSW/slideshow/Under Floorboards Behind Wall

I've not seen this before but Photobucket offer a storyboard way of viewing too
http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/SilhouetteNSW/Under Floorboards Behind Wall/story

Comments

• Oh wonderful.  Most I had never seen before.

The Quiet Man one sheet and the Hitchhiker one sheet highlights for me!

• Oh and thanks for sharing.   I love looking at pretty bits of paper!
    • Beautiful paper David !  Thanks for sharing!
    • Lucky guy - like winning the lottery twice.
    • Very, very nice David! Timber Stampede & Hero For a Day stand out for me! 

Id be happy for a back of the garage find!... ;)
    • Excelent stuff!!!
      Find me an aussie one sheet for "Strange world" and only then you can say you found a treasure. ;)

• Great posters, nice to just sit back and drink my coffee and not use the mouse.

• edited November 2016
      BTW - on Birth of the Blues 1939 (a 30x40 1SH), I spied the name Lawrence, presuming the artist?

• Most likely the artist. Totally unaware of this Australian artist. Maybe John has some information ?
    • Some great looking posters David and nicely photographed too!

I have a couple of examples of "Lawrence" art in trade ads but don't have any information on who he/she is.
    • John said:

I have a couple of examples of "Lawrence" art in trade ads but don't have any information on who he/she is.

Not that it means much but I guess it'd be nice to know
    • John said:
      Some great looking posters David and nicely photographed too!

The names of the film titles in the trade ads you mentioned would be appreciated.
    • Thanks for sharing David (finally).  :)
    • edited November 2016
      Been shooting the next batch of these, they are all mixed up - Under the Floorboards, Behind the Wall as well as the Attic find - and I still have the Garage stack and the Carpet Underlay ones to get to yet. Anyway, I may I have shown these before (I believe Lawrence solved the mystery as to the title on some), if not here it is again.

I'm no expert but I'd say condition is borderline Poor...

• For those who don't know top left is The Dolly Sisters and bottom left is The Sword Of Monte Cristo.

• edited November 2016
      HONDO said:

For those who don't know top left is The Dolly Sisters and bottom left is The Sword Of Monte Cristo.

Thank-you (Cattle Town or Sword Of Monte Cristo or Rimfire Daybills anyone?)

• Have sent you Sword Of Monte Christo.
    • edited November 2016
      Thanks - and as Lawrence tells me, the Cattle Town mini daybill above may be the only one around - so it's rare!
    • Nice stuff, David.
    • OK, updated...here's is the second batch of photos, added to the first batch - again some you have seen and some you may not have.

PS - This might be more interesting to watch if you go full screen - press the button with the arrows (pointing away from each other)

For people like Matt who want to watch with coffee in one hand, toast in the other http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/SilhouetteNSW/slideshow/Under Floorboards Behind Wall

I've not seen this before but Photobucket offer a storyboard way of viewing too
      http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/SilhouetteNSW/Under Floorboards Behind Wall/story

• Great and thanks for sharing.
    • Beautiful. Some really nice titles in that lot.
    • Great daybills! So much paper (if not all) Ive never seen before! Agreed-thanks for sharing. 
    • Loverly.  Of course I am partial to the long ones, but definitely some nice ones in there!
    • Total enjoyment. Thanks David
    • Awesome David - thanks for sharing and of course good on you for being in the right place at the right time to rescue these
    • of course good on you for being in the right place at the right time to rescue these
      The absolute fun, excitement and the opportunity to be offered these sorts of collections is probably what I enjoy most but I hope I am not making it sound too altruistic; of course I always get Captain's Pick, then eventually the rest get offered for sale...
    • Smiling Ghost is a winner.
    • Black Hand is nice and unusual. A rare poster in that its availability in Australia has been almost non existent to this period of time and in the fact that the knife with the dripping blood was allowed by the censor in this 1950 released film.Toned down posters featuring the knife on all the U.S. artwork that I have viewed are minus any dripping blood.
    • David said:
      of course good on you for being in the right place at the right time to rescue these
      The absolute fun, excitement and the opportunity to be offered these sorts of collections is probably what I enjoy most but I hope I am not making it sound too altruistic; of course I always get Captain's Pick, then eventually the rest get offered for sale...

Yes, it is always a exciting when these collections come up. There are many more out there just waiting to be found!