Skip to content

December 2016

My quiet Bardot obsession continues

A Very Private Affair (1962) - French Grande

Comments

• Oh I like that.  Loverly...Congratulations 
  • edited December 2016
    Quite artistic with a hand painted look! ...Nice.. well done David!!
  • I'm trying to figure out why I like it.

I just do. It's like a painting. Sweet Dave!

• Very nice, David. Like the "peek-a-boo" look to it!
  • This was just delivered last night.  More than twice my previous high price for a poster.

• Oh wow, that Memphis Belle is fantastic!
  • Beautiful Jay - one of the best ones out there
  • Sweet Jay!
  • Great poster, Jay! It was on my watchlist but went out of my reach by Sunday! Classic!
  • edited December 2016
    What may very well be the apotheosis of film noir finally has a place in the collection after many years.

Fortunately the bottom border is all there just covered in white paper tape on the front.  Unfortunately, this type of paper tape always proves to be the arch nemesis of my trusty Un-Du and I had to admit defeat before a calamity:

• I love the lamppost pose.  Good paper.
  • I must be blind. Wow nice work Jay. Absolute cracker of a poster.

and as per usual the classics keep coming for the Igloo builder.

• Nice half sheet, Chris. Like the arrow outline around the title. Too bad about the tape, otherwise it looks in great condition!
  • edited December 2016
    What may very well be the apotheosis of film noir finally has a place in the collection after many years.
    I had to look up apotheosis. On that basis, congrats! 
  • Memphis Belle is stunning.  Congratulations!
  • David said:
    My quiet Bardot obsession continues

A Very Private Affair (1962) - French Grande

What a gorgeous poster.
    Congrats, David!
  • Just received the first of many replacement posters I have been tinkering with to replace those I lost to a few unscrupulous dealers back when I was a kid.

I used to have one of these tacked to the bedroom walls for years.  It got dirty, faded and torn before I let it go to a dealer for some comic books.

2017 represents my 50th year as a movie poster collector and I am trying to replace my favorites from when I was a kid.

I scored two victories this month, this being the first.
    It is absolutely beautiful and appears to have never been used... no holes, no tears, no separations. I am ecstatic.

• Great poster and  The Day of The Triffids is my favourite science fiction book of all time. Along with most science fiction films produced around that time the poster artwork is superior to the actual film.
  • very good score, Ted.
  • Nice colors & artwork. Love the tag line at the top!
  • Thank you.
    The artwork was by Joseph Smith, an American poster artist who turned out many classics, including The Mole People, The Giant Behemoth and Green Mansions.

• 50 years a collectors Ted? Sheesh, surely you mean your Dad started when you were but a *ahem*
  • Aaron, I've started your own thread based on your post here.
  • David said:
    50 years a collectors Ted? Sheesh, surely you mean your Dad started when you were but a *ahem*
    Early Fall 1967, my Dad took me to see One Million Years BC at the local Grand Avenue Cinema (Baldwin, NY) where I fell in love with Raquel Welch in the fur bikini.  He suggested that I ask the manager if they could let me have the poster after the film left.  I did and got the poster one week later.

Then began a weekly exercise of calling all theaters that were showing titles I was interested in and then Dad driving me around NYC and Long Island picking up posters from a number of theaters every week.

Then, the late Fred Clarke (Cinefantastique) started advertising posters for sale at ridiculously low prices.  That is when I started amassing horror and sci-fi posters from the 40s and 50s.

While Dad didn't have posters that he gave to me, he helped me to become the movie poster maniac I am.  Thanks, Dad!
  • Jollyfine story Ted, always nice when it also has a family tie..
  • Sheesh, in 1967 and your Dad takes you to see Raquel Welch yet my mum takes me to see The Jungle Book...
  • The following year (1968) I had to have a parent with me to see Barbarella (Rated M, for mature audiences).  Unfortunately, Dad was busy so I had to wrangle my Mom into taking me.
    Believe you me, I had a lot of explaining to do when the Fonda striptease opening credits started up and young Ted got one of those awkward boners.

But, I did get the poster for that one too...

• Just arrived -- a few more for my maniacal poster pit.
    This Burn Witch Burn is my second 'replacement' poster this month.
    Lucky me won a third last night, but you'll have to wait until it arrives.

• Ted, you are on fire. Congrats!