Skip to content

January 2017

Comments

• Just picked up a collection of about 200 Daybills today, within it were these fine examples of British comedy at its very best!! 

• Carry on showing pics of them!

• Awesome haul... Post more!
  • Wowzers...fantastic stuff!
  • The late father (former projectionist) of the woman I purchased them from initially used to hang the Daybills he bought home on an old hook in the garden shed and there they remained for many a year. Example below with the GWTW re-release. 

U

I could only carry so many in my hand luggage so I'll pick up the remaining bills next week, the 'hooked' examples included A Night To Remember, Guns of Navarone 'greenish' (although I understand the jury's still out on what colour came first - yellow/blue or green?) Dunkirk and Disneys natural world series amongst others. 

The haul I bought back yesterday apart from the 'Carry On' group, unfortunately consisted of a tonne of stock, as well as Republic and MAPs, I'll post some more images as the day goes on.
  • Here are some highlights from the past month or so:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
  • edited January 2017
    Nice Brigitte, and also Jane. Classic beauties
  • edited January 2017

Right, that'll do for now, some good, some bad. Also have two suit cases of 11 x 14's to wade through. 
  • Great and keep them coming.
  • edited January 2017
    Any thoughts on what this rather sad bill was once advertising?

• OHHHHH....I'm catching up on all your wonderful new posters. I see you all have been busy. What a great start of the year.. I  like them all  :)
  • edited January 2017
    It is Pan -Americana ( 1945 ). What you have there is what is remaining of a beautiful full bleed Simmons RKO daybill and the only copy I have ever seen. What a pity.
  • HONDO said:
    It is Pan -Americana ( 1945 ). What you have there is what is remaining of a beautiful full bleed Simmons RKO daybill and the only copy I have ever seen. What a pity.
    Many thanks, I searched around for the missing sections, but alas no joy, it would have made a nice restoration job if only more remained.
  • HONDO said:
    Many thanks, I searched around for the missing sections, but alas no joy, it would have made a nice restoration job if only more remained.

Yes it is a shame. Apart from this poster do you have any other posters from the 1940's or perhaps even earlier ?
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Yes it is a shame. Apart from this poster do you have any other posters from the 1940's or perhaps even earlier ?
    I hope to collect the remaining titles next week, I'm pretty sure there was a Mysterious Pilot and some more RKO among them.
  • Will look forward in seeing them. If it is The Mysterious Pilot it should be a 1937 long daybill of the serial film, and if so is it possible to photograph the poster by itself so I can include it in my Australian poster file of serial images? 
  • Sure thing, I recall one of them as having part of the lower third missing, it could be that one?

Also the bulk of the older ones had a hole in the upper third from being hung on a hook in the garden shed for 30 odd years (as shown in my earlier Gone With The Wind post).
  • Life wasn't meant to be easy.
  • Any thoughts on what this rather sad bill was once advertising?

Pan-Americana (1945)
  • edited January 2017
    HONDO said:
    Life wasn't meant to be easy.
    A pity the rest of this one wasn't to be found either! 

Only from (59) and not incredibly rare or valuable but still a nice piece. 

• HONDO said:
    Life wasn't meant to be easy.
    A pity the rest of this one wasn't to be found either! 

Only from (59) and not incredibly rare or valuable but still a nice piece. 

This Chromo Print Litho isn't valuable but it doesn't turn up often. Actually the similar designed duotone version printed by A.& C. Printers a little later appears easier to find.
  • Oh lots of daybills!  Looking forward to seeing the rest when you get them.  Shame about the meat hook!
  • The late father (former projectionist) of the woman I purchased them from initially used to hang the Daybills he bought home on an old hook in the garden shed and there they remained for many a year. Example below with the GWTW re-release. 

U

I could only carry so many in my hand luggage so I'll pick up the remaining bills next week, the 'hooked' examples included A Night To Remember, Guns of Navarone 'greenish' (although I understand the jury's still out on what colour came first - yellow/blue or green?) Dunkirk and Disneys natural world series amongst others. 

The haul I bought back yesterday apart from the 'Carry On' group, unfortunately consisted of a tonne of stock, as well as Republic and MAPs, I'll post some more images as the day goes on.

Fantastic!!!! Great stuff so far!
  • @Charlie - Fonda nice, LaLa Land is unique, like it.
  • edited January 2017
    Ok, here's what I got. A gorgeous argentinean daybill for "Princess of the dark" (made in 1917, released down here around 1928). Pictured is Enid Bennett, who plays a blind girl, dreaming of a prince coming to her rescue. What does she get instead? The hunchbacked son of the town's drunkard... Early film writers were awesome!!
    The poster was designed at "Cristiani Estudios", owned by Quirino Cristiani, the guy who invented cartoons.

And this other daybill for "Down grade".

• Oh beautiful.  But I am not liking this daybill business...;)
  • Very nice Matais.
  • Sweet!
  • Gilbert, Fairbanks? Those are nice oieces!