Skip to content

Posters by Charlie Chaplin

Charles Spencer Chaplin (1889-1977) was an English comic actor and filmmaker who rose to fame in the silent film era. Chaplin became a worldwide icon through his screen persona "the Tramp" and is considered one of the most important figures of the film industry. His career spanned more than 75 years, from a child in the Victorian era to close to his death at the age of 88, and encompassed both adulation and controversy.

Raised in London, Chaplin's childhood was defined by poverty and hardship. He was sent to a workhouse twice before the age of nine; his father was absent, and his mother was committed to a mental asylum. Chaplin began performing from a young age, touring music halls and later working as a stage actor and comedian. At 19 he was signed to the prestigious Fred Karno company, which took him to America. Chaplin was scouted by the film industry, and made his first appearances in 1914 with Keystone Studios. He soon developed the Tramp persona and formed a large fan base. By 1918, he was one of the most famous men in the world.

In 1919, Chaplin co-founded the distribution company United Artists, giving him complete control over his films. His first feature-length picture was The Kid (1921), followed by A Woman of Paris (1923), The Gold Rush (1925), and The Circus (1928). He refused to move to sound films in the 1930s, instead producing City Lights (1931) and Modern Times (1936) without dialogue. Chaplin became increasingly political and his next film, The Great Dictator (1940), satirised Adolf Hitler. He abandoned the Tramp for his later films, which include Monsieur Verdoux (1947), Limelight (1952), A King in New York (1957), and A Countess From Hong Kong (1967). (Wikipedia)

In the Park (1915)
The Champion (1915)
The Champion (1915)
The Tramp (1915)

A Woman (1915) French poster

The Fireman (1916)

One A.M. (1916)

The Rink (1916)

The Vagabond (1916)

Easy Street (1917)

The Adventurer (1917)

The Adventurer (1917)

The Cure (1917)

A Dog's Life (1918)

A Dog's Life (1918)

A Dog's Life (1918)

Shoulder Arms (1918)

A Day's Pleasure (1919) French poster

Sunnyside (1919)

Sunnyside (1919)

The Idle Class (1921)

The Kid (1921)

The Kid (1921)

The Kid (1921)

The Pilgrim (1923)

The Gold Rush (1925)

The Gold Rush (1925)

The Gold Rush (1925)

The Circus (1928)

The Circus (1928)

City Lights (1931)

City Lights (1931)

City Lights (1931) Norwegian poster

Modern Times (1936)

Modern Times (1936) Belgian poster

Modern Times (1936)

The Great Dictator (1940)

The Great Dictator (1940)

The Great Dictator (1940) Belgian poster

Monsieur Verdoux (1947)

Limelight (1952)

Limelight (1952)

Limelight (1952) Italian poster

A King in New York (1957) Japanese poster

A Countess from Hong Kong (1967)

Comments

• Nice David!  A ton of work here...
  • I don't mean to sound like a beeyatch or anything and this is not how I mean it, but what is the point of these posts?

Is it for all us lazy people who can't be bothered going on the interwebs to see what pretty bits of paper are out there for a given actor/director etc?

Just wondering, not being bitchy I promise, which is rare for me :)

• There is no point...

...I'll stop now.
  • No no, you keep going...others LOVE these threads.  I've been inundated with messages saying how much they LOVE them...but you did get my hopes up with the A&C thread....
  • I've been inundated with messages saying how much they LOVE them...

'inundated'?

I suspect you are just saying that...I can read between the lines...

• Charlie has privately scolded me via several PM's, Matt is up in arms and threatening to come over and make me pay with a NY daybill, Sven, well I ca't repeat what he said, and Lawrence is just up in arms!

No really, it's twue, twue I tell you!

• And now you mock me...sigh

•  Ok, I'll go now...it was nice while it lasted. :c
  • edited February 2016

• Charlie has privately scolded me via several PM's, Matt is up in arms and threatening to come over and make me pay with a NY daybill, Sven, well I ca't repeat what he said, and Lawrence is just up in arms!

No really, it's twue, twue I tell you!

Charlie Chaplin is dead... Maybe this is a memorial?

• Modern Times (1936)

I actually joined the discussion board just to post in this thread. I'm a big Chaplin fan, and this was really cool to see this thread. It's funny that one of the responses to this thread was "Is it for all us lazy people who can't be bothered going on the interwebs to see what pretty bits of paper are out there for a given actor/director etc?"  Now I feel like a lazy person who can't be bothered to go on the interweb to see what pretty pieces of paper there are for Chaplin posters. But, in actuality, maybe it's just nice to see a collection like this, all together. It's like a mini art gallery.

But anyway, years ago I wanted one Charlie Chaplin movie poster for my office. I decided not to buy an original -- I had already spent enough on movie posters, and wasn't looking for investment purposes -- just to show those who come by my office that I'm a Chaplin fan.  So I wound up getting a cheap reprint of that Gold Rush poster that I quoted above. I do love it. 

But, if money was not an option, I'd be on the lookout for this Modern Times poster -- it's my favorite of all those posted here.
  • I'm saying nothing...(but I agree)  =)

I'd probably like A Dog's Life, but not the version shown here, the 3Sheet...
  • I don't mean to sound like a beeyatch or anything and this is not how I mean it, but what is the point of these posts?

Is it for all us lazy people who can't be bothered going on the interwebs to see what pretty bits of paper are out there for a given actor/director etc?

;) Well, my initial thought was that these posts might have a bit to do with SEO and attracting google searches to the forum. That can only be a good thing!
  • John said:

I don't mean to sound like a beeyatch or anything and this is not how I mean it, but what is the point of these posts?

;) Well, my initial thought was that these posts might have a bit to do with SEO and attracting google searches to the forum. That can only be a good thing!
    Deep thinking, but no, nothing more than sharing a post...
  • Trust me, if you add content like this regularly to this forum, people will find the forum when they Google search, and your forum will grow. This is the kind of post that makes this forum more than just a place to talk -- it's a great reference, and useful.
  • Wes_Block said:
    Trust me, if you add content like this regularly to this forum, people will find the forum when they Google search, and your forum will grow. This is the kind of post that makes this forum more than just a place to talk -- it's a great reference, and useful.

That's true.

I will add some images of Charlie Chaplin Australian posters when I get a chance.

• John said:
    Wes_Block said:
    Trust me, if you add content like this regularly to this forum, people will find the forum when they Google search, and your forum will grow. This is the kind of post that makes this forum more than just a place to talk -- it's a great reference, and useful.

That's true.

I will add some images of Charlie Chaplin Australian posters when I get a chance.

This is more along the lines of what I initially thought these posts were.  Come along and post what YOU have on a given subject...hence my surprise.

That's all...moving along now.

• Not posters but a cool metamorphosis video of him

• He certainly evolved...
  • 1918 colorized:

• I have this LC.  One of the few that shows him with joy.