Skip to content

April 2017

Comments

• Matt said:

Love the artwork on that Bogart, Rosa!

Martinati knew how to do his shit. ;)
  • That is a stunning poster, and thankfully it arrived ok.

With posters going missing, ends being cut off..FARK!  I don't think I would be able to take it!

Congratulations to you Rosa on another gorgeous piece!

• Thank you Ves and Matt. Glad you two like it:)
  • I showed off those African Queen scene cards last month.  Well, last week Bruce put up the title card.  Mine, all mine, mwah ha ha.

• Lovely Jay! Nice condition too!
  • tape on upper and lower edge.  Looks to be conservation tape, but hardened.  I will need to carefully figure out how to safely remove it, but more importantly, what it is hiding
  • Indeed! Great colors & artwork Jay! Very, very nice pickup! :plus_one:
  • Congratulations!!! Beautiful card and wonderful film!

Good for you :)
  • Crikey Rosa...

Worth the stress though.. :)

I'd leave the tape Jay, looks fine as is, nice card.
  • Great poster, Rosa!

Jay I must have looked at that title card 100 times in the past, and I never noticed til now that Bogart is not on it. But what a great movie!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Thank you @Paul hope you find the missing poster too.

And glad you like it @ Bruce. No one ships better than you. He could learn from you!
  • Wow! So many great posters this April.
    I've been outta commission for a bit, but I did pick up some 'vintage' paper.
    Three half sheets (22x28) and three one sheets (27x41)

• Gosh I always liked that Satelitte in the Sky poster...though I am more partial to the daybill.  Need to get me one.

Really like Beast with 5 fingers.

• I agree with the Beast with 5 fingers, Ted.  First rate.
    Also that Black Shield of Falworth.  Yondah lies da castle of my faddah da king.  I watched that one a lot on afternoon TV.
  • Hi all, now this obviously isn't a new acquisition, but I thought I'd get my 'newish' acquisition backed by my usual backer Dale. 

However I'm not overly impressed with the end result and thought I'd see if any of the backers here can spot the fault ;)

The funny thing is after sending him these images (which he failed to respond to any of them) and sending it straight back he called to say he couldn't see what the problem was.... I suggested he turn it over. 

Complete denial that the (very minor) pinching has anything to do with his backing and there was obviously a fault the paper beforehand? and that this is merely the weight of the paper trying to curl the linen and that it'll sort itself out over time! (eye roll) as something glued down that's pinching in all directions would highly unlikely free itself and flatten out over time... rant over :) 

Oh one last thing, he couldn't see any connection between the ripples directly opposite the pinched area and his rolling out work and chances are they were already there before it was backed (which they weren't) aaaahhhhh head explosion imminent!

:s 

• Hey Will ! Frustrating. I would probably want it rebacked free of charge. I sent posters back to the states before and the restorer has been accommodating ( they also paid postage)

But lets wait for @Dario, @Charlie and @Eisenhower  to see if its the poster paper or backing process. 
  • Hey Sven, unfortunately he's never admitted fault from anything I've questioned in the past. The fact that the other item I sent away with this came back covered in faults (which he took offence to being pointed out and denied responsibility for), even the mass of hairs and failure to correctly replace artwork on a small missing section was put down to me being picky.

He kept delaying starting them and eventually after 5 or 6 weeks rushed them through, which has obviously lead to problems.

• edited April 2017
    Wow..very sorry Will. That is not right, I had similar experiences with restorers in the UK, just awful, they have terrible skills and the material is inadequate. Your poster looks like one i had done in the uk.

Go to the court, take him to the Small Claim Court and tell him that you will be gathering evidence from other restorers and collectors to prove your case. Show him the links of work done by other restorers - there is plenty of free evidence out there showing posters in poorer state than yours -

I bet he will give you the money back (at the very least)

• The backside looks like it got a drop of water or something with and edge was wet and was set on it. The wrinkling on the front is a mystery to me but appear to be shrinkage related perhaps from putting the poster down on very dry masa that sucked the moisture out rapidly or something.  Or the wheat paste was too thin and allowed the poster to move as it dried...  not sure...
  • Curious to hear what Dario might say.
  • Great Haul Ted, liking the Beast with 5 fingers...

Crikey Wil, take some advice from Rosa, and chase this thing, I'm not sure I'd let him put that right, I'd prefer to get it fixed else where...

And on the plus side, last ones of the month...

Picked-up this press book...

And couldn't resist these two...

• Wil, that must be so frustrating and even more so the denial. Aarghhhhh! I feel for you.
  • Paul, that Hell and High Water is a corker. Best version I've ever seen.
  • Whoa Wil! Very sorry to see what appears to be some major blemishes on your linenbacked poster. I thought water too in the backside, but had no clue on the front other than he didn't roll it out correctly or laid it down so poorly.

My two years of backing posters is a limited amount of knowledge compared to others, but in all the posters I've backed, never had the wrinkling on the front. It looks like it needs to be rebacked. Both I would think, will not correct themselves. And isn't linenbacking supposed to be able to take out wrinkles in paper??

Good luck getting some sort of restitution. 

• Damn Paul! Those quads are sweet! Great artwork, bursting with color!!
  • Gorgeous paper Paul! 

• Hey Sven, unfortunately he's never admitted fault from anything I've questioned in the past. The fact that the other item I sent away with this came back covered in faults (which he took offence to being pointed out and denied responsibility for), even the mass of hairs and failure to correctly replace artwork on a small missing section was put down to me being picky.

He kept delaying starting them and eventually after 5 or 6 weeks rushed them through, which has obviously lead to problems.

That is terrible news for your Wil.  Sorry to hear you are having such a rough trot getting the guy to accept what are clearly issues with the backing.  How he can justify it not being his issue is beyond me.

One thing you said strikes me as odd.  From your post above it sounds like you have had issues with stuff he has done in the past, which he hasn't acknowledged and I am assuming corrected.  If that is the case, why keep sending to him and not find someone else who will do a better job.

I know he is local to you but local is not always the best, as Rosa has said.

Good luck to you in getting him to either correct the issues to your satisfaction, or giving you your money back.

Side note...question for you guys who do some resto...I am assuming it is harder/more work to reback something already backed?  Wondering if another restorer would charge more to reback, than to just back...

• theartofmovieposter

If that is the case, why keep sending to him and not find someone else who will do a better job.

I know he is local to you but local is not always the best.

Hi Ves, indeed having him on my doorstep was a huge factor in using him and to be honest to start with he was ok.

However more recently he's become a nightmare to deal with and always has excuses for repeated delays in starting work etc. then blatantly rushes things through.

I sent him A LOT of stuff recently and asked him to send the first few completed items back, this was the result.

He's very protective of his reputation and won't hear any criticism of his work what so ever (he still refuses to acknowledge this fault and that this and the creasing with it is the norm, even clutching at straws saying that the ripples wear already within the paper and that the water merely forced them to the surface???). He obviously use to dealing with one off collectors who he can blag with nonsense.

Any recommendations for Aussie backers? As although the shipping may be a little more (and chances are the backing costs), it's gotten to to point that I'm sick chasing this guy for every little thing.

This is how he returned a Gone With The Wind re-release (the corner was missing) Can you spot the missing text and printers marks? How about the hairs? Again none of this was his fault and I was merely being 'microscopic!' and he didn't have to time to google what should be there? 10 sec EMP search!

This crease (although I believe it to be a tear as he's tried to touch it up) also wasn't their when I sent it in with the Sound of Music Quad, again, nothing to do with him and the odd crease is to be expected with backing as you'll never get perfection?? If he'd just admit that he rushed these through and was sorry I'd let it slide, byt sadly this is not the case. 

I feel the NZ/Aussie postal service may be getting some business from me very shortly! 
  • Gees...that is quite bad.  I wonder if his work load has picked up and rather than turn work away, he is trying to get everything done and thus his quality is suffering....?

Actually now that I think of it, you would think that as a long time customer of his, he would go out of his way to make and keep you happy...considering the business you have sent him!  Guess not.  I've not used him and don't think I ever will.

I've never used any backers in Australia.   When I was getting stuff done, everything went to either the US or Dario in Canada.

I know a few people on this forum have used Michael Brewster (I think that is right) up in Sydney and speak very highly of his work.

I do have a poster here that was done by him, but based on the before pictures I was provided it didn't need much done to it so can't speak to his restoration abilities.  But the backing was done very nicely.

You could send him one thing and see how you like that...I've no idea on his prices or anything, so you would need to get in touch with him. 

Perhaps the guys on this forum whom have used him can chime with their opinion.

If you are willing to send them overseas to either the US or Canada, there are plenty of talented people there you could try...You could send off one thing first to whomever you are willing to give a try and see how you like their results.

I've never had an issue with any posters I've had...except the first one I sent off, I wasn't that impressed with the work, but I was a novice then so just sucked it up and didn't bother making a fuss.  I just didn't use them again.  I am sure if I had of said something they would have fixed it.

Though I have had people who have had things done with issues, but the restorer has always agreed to correct the issue, without fuss.

This sucks.  I am planning on have a few things done later in the year and this bad work and stolen posters has me very very concerned!

Keep us posted on whether or not you have any luck with your posters from this bunch...

• Sure thing, yeah I think his work load is pretty heavy, yet he's more focused on making fast money than maintaining high standards. 

Again, the lack of ownership of faults is my main gripe. Once he's finish what he's currently working on such as my orange bullets, Godfathers and advance deliverance (which I believe he's already started :( ) I may well ask for the rest back and look elsewhere. I've used Poster Mountain and a few others over the years, but the distance and pricing prompted me to give the local guy a chance.