Skip to content

Buyer Beware!

A new listing on eBay for a U.K. Quad of House of Frankenstein ( 1944). Advertised as an original poster with a price of 900 pounds U.K. ( $ 1,566.87 Australian ). What it should have said is '' an original re-release poster of House Of Frankenstein ( 1944 )''.

Comments

• The above poster as I mentioned was for a re-release in the U. K. Paul our resident quad man will confirm this I am sure. The re-release would have been sometime between the late 1940's until the early 1960's when Eros dropped  out of the film distribution business. I am hoping Paul may be able to pin down a closer release date.

• Quite stunning nonetheless
  • edited August 2016
                                                The Birds ( 1963 ). Three U.S. one sheets pictured above. The bottom image poster recently sold on eBay on the  9 / 8 / 2016, after 19 bids placed, for $ 305 AU. Before I say any more about these posters I would like to hear any members thoughts on the three posters ? Are they original, re-releases or reproductions and which ones are which ?
  • The top one is an original US one sheet.
  • Buyer beware is a good title for this thread. I think the second and third posters are both repros so 305.00 is way over the odds.
  • Are they stated as repros or originals?
  • John said:
    The top one is an original US one sheet.

Correct.
    David said:
    Are they stated as repros or originals?

Bruce's image is credited as being a reproduction.

The last image above for the eBay sold poster was advertised as original release.

• Images 2 & 3 are reproductions for the following reasons.

They measure 27'' x 40'' compared to the original being 27'' x 41''.

Both printed on glossy modern paper.

Both rolled and not folded as they would have been if original,

Both missing the entire white border on left hand side of posters.

Both nothing like an original US one sheet in terms of dot printing, etc.

Some of the information on the bottom of the posters is different that the original one sheet. The two posters are slightly different with this information as well, indicating definitely they are two separate reproductions.

• The person who paid 305.00 for the bottom poster must have thought it was original.
  • John said:
    The person who paid 305.00 for the bottom poster must have thought it was original.

I'm sure this would have been the case but not one of our members I hope.

The House Of Frankenstein quad  re-release is still being advertised on E Bay to Buy It Now for GBP  900.

• The House Of Frankenstein quad certainly does have the Eros films logo on it which confirms that it is a re release. Eros Films operated from 1947-1961 as Lawrence points out. The poster has no printers details on it but I think it is likely to be late 1950s and possibly early 60s.
  •          Life Of Brian ( aka Monty Python's Life Of Brian ) ( 1979 ). The daybill poster on the right is currently being advertised on Heritage & eBay as if it is from the original Australian release. It is actually from a later time and according to IMDB there was an 1983 Australian re-release, so that would be my thinking if the date is correct.  The image on the left is of course from the original 1979 Australian release.
  • Sven said:

100% positive feedback  (1163 ) for seller with eBay since 2005. Mentions items  have been stored since Dad passed. Sounds o.k. to me. Has anyone dealt with this seller before ?
  • Looks to me like a world record price for Dave Graveen repros, but what do I know?

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    Looks to me like a world record price for Dave Graveen repros, but what do I know?

I was just commenting on what it looks like at face value, but you could be right Bruce. One thing of interest is all are either title or great scene cards.
  • I think I am glad I don't really collect lobbies (as a general rule) based on what is being said here :)
  • HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    Looks to me like a world record price for Dave Graveen repros, but what do I know?

I was just commenting on what it looks like at face value, but you could be right Bruce. One thing of interest is all are either title or great scene cards.
    Naturally, because no one makes repros of bad scene cards!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:

Naturally, because no one makes repros of bad scene cards!

Absolutely right, but at the present time we have no proof one way or the other, but as the cards apparently are under a cloud of suspicion at the moment, as my thread says - buyer beware !
  • I have studied the creature cards in detail. For example , have a close look at the images of the original copies

For example #8
    http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/CREATURE%20FROM%20THE%20BLACK%20LAGOON/tag/xtype%3Alobby%20card/style/%238/archive.html

Now compare to the ebay image of creature card #8.  

There are two key but minor differences ( there may be more ) Have a look around the blue lake border and green border. 

• edited September 2016
    For card #8 , Also look below the first "r" in "Creature" in the originals and compare to ebay image..litle dash of yellow missing, it appears in all originals
  • Dave Graveen would digitally "clean up" his images BEFORE making repros. He wasn't doing it to deceive anyone, so why not make them look as nice as possible. I just wish he had marked them in some small way, because all the time I get calls and emails from people who think they "struck it rich".

It is not 100%, but whenever you see "all good titles" and "all good scenes", think David Graveen repros!

• Cheers Bruce!!
  • Good thread guys, keep 'em coming - we have a lot of collectors moseying in from Facebook watching this thread, hopefully they will join in and share.
  • Hey Hondo, don't know how I missed this thread..

Yes that House of Frankenstein Quad is from the 50's, as you and John rightly pointed out.  Did the guy drop the price or is it still up for sale?
  • Paul said:
    Hey Hondo, don't know how I missed this thread..

Yes that House of Frankenstein Quad is from the 50's, as you and John rightly pointed out.  Did the guy drop the price or is it still up for sale?

I don't know as I hadn't looked recently. Looking a few minutes ago it doesn't seem to appear on eBay at present. I wonder if he sold it or withdrew it ?
  •                                                                      A newspaper advertisement for the official 1950 Australian re-release of Thousands Cheer ( 1943 ).

The above poster is  currently being offered for sale as an original 1943 release on eBay at a price of AU$200.00. The problem is that the film is a 1950 re-release. The poster above is clearly showing ''MGM re-presents"' along with ''An MGM Masterpiece Reprint''.

\

• I let him know, he didn't respond but he ended his listing.

Then re-listed it with the same details! I guess by ending it he removes the fact it shows '1 question unanswered'

Someone else's turn.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DAYBILL-MOVIE-POSTER-RARE-ORIGINAL-THOUSANDS-CHEER-Gene-Kelly-/332067682611?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
  • Australian first release in 1969 one sheet.  -----  Australian re-issue one sheet from 1970.

Heritage is currently auctioning the poster on the right above as an original Australian release poster.

In 1970 Kinney bought Warner Bros and the Warner Bros. - Seven Arts logo was changed back to Warner Bros. The Australian trade publication Yearbook The Film Weekly, lists the Australian Sydney, N.S.W, releases as follows ---

May 22,1969, Bullitt,  WB-7, 111m.

April, 16, 1970, Bullitt ( R.I. ), WB, 110m.

Anyone currently bidding on Bullitt on Heritage are most likely thinking the poster is an original release poster. Current bid as a few minutes ago is $650. It is the same design, but just with different Warner Bros, details.

• edited July 2017

U.K. double crown poster circa 1969-1971. ---  U.S. pressbook 1969. Some press books have some pages marked international edition ).

Two Advertisements for later Australian screenings in 1971. Note the Sundown Drive-In advertisement is taken from the original Australian release material which has the Warner Bros - Seven Arts name and logo appearing on it.

Both Bullitt and Bonnie And Clyde were re-released in Sydney on 16 / 4 / 1970 as a double bill.  

This information should clear up why the re-release of Bullitt happened so quickly after the original release took place. if anyone was wondering,