Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Charlie said:
    Just watched There Will be Blood again - I think I enjoy it so much because I see a lot of myself in Plainview... 
    FINALLY got around to this one.
    Gawd damn he is a fine actor!  I don't think I have watched Lewis is anything I didn't like.
    Phenomenal...found it hard to take my eyes off him in any scene he was in!

If you see yourself in Plainview Charlie, I hope it's the drive and ambition for success...and not the looney bits! :)
  • Three Summers is politically incorrect, amusing and has some fine acting performances, and last but not least, it is very entertaining.

• Phantom Thread is reported  to be Daniel Day Lewis's last film. It is scheduled to be released in the U.S.A. on the 25th of December this year. Will Daniel's performance in this film earn him his fourth best actor Oscar?

• edited November 2017
    Deleted. Had been posted in error.
  • Oh two more films on my to see list!
  • Went to the used book stores to find old underwater films and picked up Sanctum (2011) and the original Poseidon Adventure (1972)...  Took in Sanctum last night and loved it!  Although, I think I've seen it before...

• Watched the orginal The Blob last night..you are right Ves, its a fun movie to watch!
  • Designing Woman on TV!
  • Never heard of the movie, I guess for good reason

• Saw Only The Brave tonight and I highly recommend it.
  • Only The Brave is an American film which tells the true story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, a group of elite firefighters who fought the Yarnell Hill fire in Arizona in June 2013. A very moving tribute to those brave men, featuring a fantastic ensemble cast.I can't recommend it enough.
  • Nice - I need to check this one out.
  • Scrooge 1935.

Finally got into the spirit of Xmas...Humbug...

• Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool ( 2017) I haven't seen yet, but I will when it is released in Australia and will then let you know what i think of the film.Annette Bening plays actress Gloria Grahame in the latter part of her life.
  • Just Watched "Australia Day" a Foxtel produced movie in QLD starring Bryan Brown.  Wow, a powerful movie, has anyone seen it??

•  
    The Last Post ( U.K. 2017 ) is a six part television series set in Aden in the 1960's. I have just watched the first episode on recommendation from a number of people. Looking forward to the rest of the series. 
  • Being a "real man of genius," I signed up for several movie streaming services a few months ago ... and have watched a grand total of one movie so far.

But I watched two great scenes from Fantasia last night, including the charming "Sorcerer's Apprentice":

I intended to watch the entire movie but realized dancing hippos are not really my thing....
  • Dunkirk was painfully slow and unfulfilling - I am surprised it was so widely heralded as a film worthy of an oscar.  It was very "visually stunning" but outright bland in story and excitement.
  • Watched a documentary on Gianni Agnelli and can't get my mind off of it this morning:

• Charlie said:
    Dunkirk was painfully slow and unfulfilling - I am surprised it was so widely heralded as a film worthy of an oscar.  It was very "visually stunning" but outright bland in story and excitement.
    I agree wholeheartedly.  I was so looking forward to this movie and was left flat, great visually but no story line and  a plot that was as boring as bat shit.  If it comes out on Blu ray for $10 I wont buy it.  I was so pissed when they showed the flotilla that represented about 30 boats.  How about using some CGI and layering the depth so they were several hundred vessels in the flotilla???

a Flop in my opinion................   Promised a great deal and delivered little.
  • Just saw this poster in EMP, nice simple design and looking forward to the movie!

Oppps! wrong paste....here we go 

• Haha...  Yeah with every fan review I see - me:

Also me: "Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him"

And me: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes..."

I really like The Last Jedi and really hate all the obnoxious cry babies whining about the franchise being ruined etc...
  • Rob said:
    Charlie said:
    Dunkirk was painfully slow and unfulfilling - I am surprised it was so widely heralded as a film worthy of an oscar.  It was very "visually stunning" but outright bland in story and excitement.
    I agree wholeheartedly.  I was so looking forward to this movie and was left flat, great visually but no story line and  a plot that was as boring as bat shit.  If it comes out on Blu ray for $10 I wont buy it.  I was so pissed when they showed the flotilla that represented about 30 boats.  How about using some CGI and layering the depth so they were several hundred vessels in the flotilla???

a Flop in my opinion................   Promised a great deal and delivered little.
    Exactly, so you managed to get 300,000 soldiers out on three cruisers (2 of which sank) and 20 or so civilian boats???  Head scratcher for sure - that thing should have looked like the Normandy beach scene from Saving Private Ryan.
  • Charlie said:
    Rob said:
    Charlie said:

Exactly, so you managed to get 300,000 soldiers out on three cruisers (2 of which sank) and 20 or so civilian boats???  Head scratcher for sure - that thing should have looked like the Normandy beach scene from Saving Private Ryan.
    Yep, Saving Private Ryan left you in shock after the Normandy Beach scenes.  Veterans actually got up and walked out of Cinemas because it was the first time in history that the War had been depicted accurately from a visual and gore perspective.  Dunkirk as a comparison was "WTF??  you have got to be kidding".  The evacuation was months or potentially a couple of years in the planning and involved commandeering thousands of civilian vessels and we got a handful of boats at best in the movie. 

The scale should have been bigger than Hitlers gas bill and left you with a "Wow, that was impressive" impression.  I give the movie a 3 out of 10 at best.

•  Musical and Pierce Brosnan fans, it will be a long wait until July 2018 when you can see Mama Mia! - Here We Go Again-. Cher this time around as well.
  • HONDO said:
        If you like well written drama you should like this TV mini series from the U.K. which started in 2013. The series is shot back to back in English and then in Welsh, with both versions having being screened. The version of Hinterland that I have viewed is the English version and I have viewed all the episodes made to date. Highly recommended for lovers of U.K. police dramas.
    Half way through the eight part series of Hinterland, series two at present,and it is even better than series one. The majority of television drama I view comes from the U.K.as they are the masters of this genre.
  • The first Mad Max. Been years. I remember parking at Melbourne University at one job. The car park was in the movie.

Image result for melbourne uni car park mad max

• Bought the 4 hour version of Dances With Wolves and just finished it off.  I have to honestly say that the extra hour plus actually added a lot to the original story.  There was a lot more character developement and stuff made more sense.  But I guess a 4 hour film just isn't going to happen in real life...
  • Just finished the brilliant 10 part documentary on the Vietnam war (for aussies its available on sbs demand). Its so well told and the eye witness ( both American and Vietnamese) accounts emotionally grab you.

The 94 year old mother (Jean)who tells her story of her sons loss 40 years ago is heart breaking.

John Musgraves account of the war..boy what a brave soul to recount the horrors

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1877514/