Skip to content

New Members, Please Introduce Yourself!

Comments

• Thanks, D! I had actually mentioned you mere minutes ago in another thread, referencing a pic (or pics) you had posted years ago on NSFGE of a wall of bad girl posters you had.
  • Hi everybody,I am Alpay from Belgium,am newbie,I decide to join the forum because I need more information about how to bleatching a poster,actualy I so a post in the forum with some discussion but to be honest I am a little confused.I hope you guys will help me with this.Thank you all in advance.
  • Welcome! I hope you find the information you’re looking for, and stay on the forum after you find it!
  • @postermaniak

Welcome to the forum, Alpay. 

Here's a thread that does a good job outlining the wet work steps including  bleaching a poster. 
    http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/discussion/124/wet-work-washing-deacidification-bleaching/p1

What's your interest in bleaching paper? Are you wanting to linenback paper?

• @postermaniak

Here's a thread that does a good job outlining the wet work steps including  bleaching a poster. 
    http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/discussion/124/wet-work-washing-deacidification-bleaching/p1

Hi Eisenhower,Thanx for welcome,yes exactly linenback posters,I all ready read this thread but honestly I am a bit confused what use for bleach bath.
  • @postermaniak

Hi Eisenhower,Thanx for welcome,yes exactly linenback posters,I all ready read this thread but honestly I am a bit confused what use for bleach bath.
    At the beginning of the thread Charlie outlines the steps for washing the poster. 

>>>>Step 1:  Deacidification with Calcium Hydroxide (Raises pH & give poster some alkalinity) 30 min

Step 2:  Bleach with Calcium Hypochlorite (Reaction with substances in paper such as albumin, sizing, chromophores and etc. create chloramines and more acidic environment) As Desired

Step 3:  Spray Acetic Acid to neutralize any unreacted chlorine and chloramines creating hydrochloric acid. 5 Minutes
    Step 4:  Deacidify the poster again with Calcium Hydroxide (you actually see solid Calcium Chloride leaving the poster)

Washing between each step...

I've not used Hydrogen Peroxide but have used Chloramine T but in literature it has fallen in disfavor because of the difficulty in removing it from the paper and the lack of control after rinsing.<<<<<<

Here another link to the American Institute of Conservation, Book and Paper Group. They have a specific chapter (quite lengthy, but full of necessary information to read prior to bleaching a poster) on bleaching. I would suggest reading. I've read it several times, and continue to "brush up" on the info. 

When i first started working with paper, i had no idea how much is involved, and for how long people have been experimenting with different methods of washing, deacidification, and bleaching paper, to name a few treatments. 

Hope this helps. 
  • Hello everyone, I'm Jeff from California. I'm relatively new to collecting older posters (pre-1990s) and have questions on how to identify authentic copies, and the best methods of storage if I'm not displaying them. 

I recently acquired folded U.S. one-sheets of "Halloween" and "The Thing." (I'm a little paranoid about whether they're authentic or not, since I got duped on a Cronenberg "The Fly" U.S. one-sheet a while back.)

Just wondering about the history of bootlegs/fakes for either of these particular posters - and the telltale signs for them. Both posters have sharp printing quality, which a friend told me is a good marker for authenticity.

Thanks!
  • Welcome Jeff! 

Halloween and The Thing are nice one-sheets. I'm not sure in what numbers they'd be bootlegs as to the demand for those titles, but always good to check. If you able to post images of the bottom border's they should have some identifying numbers or a GAU logo which should be sharp and clear as well. 

Here's a link to the EMP website that will allow you to at least verify if you copy has some similar markings, given the version you have. http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archive.html

Also, member Mel Hutson "HereComesMongo" has an authentication website that can be of help. http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Buying_Guide.html

My knowledge regarding authentication is limited so hopefully those sites will help, and of course others will chime in also.  
  • Welcome, Jeff!
  • Newbie here.  Been collecting for about 5 years.  I was looking for posters to decorate a theater room.  I found Heritage and eMoviePoster.com and have been hooked ever since.  Collecting John Wayne and 80's action movies. I don't know any collectors locally, it was nice to find this site.
  • Welcome aboard!!!
  • Welcome!

• Welcome aboard also. Great to have another John Wayne fan. 
  • Happy hunting and welcome to 'the club' :) 
  • Welcome Smuss! Looking forward to seeing some of your Duke gear! 

• Welcome! Just got me a john wayne searchers daybill   :)
  • I Appreciate the welcomes.  Wondering if I could ask a couple questions.
    How do I post poster photos to the board?
    How do you guys take such perfect photos that are not full of reflections and cropped so well? They are impreesive

• smuss said:
    How do you guys take such perfect photos that are not full of reflections and cropped so well? They are impreesive

Here is the eMoviePoster.com way

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Welcome, smuss! The more, the merrier!
  • Bruce that is quite impressive.  I'll have to do with my phone camera for now. But how do I post photos onto this message board? Not to tech savvy, I only know how to add attachments on email.
  • Download your pics onto your PC. Upload them to a Imageshack/Photobucket etc.
    Once uploaded, click selected pic then right click to copy it. Then paste in the leave a comment box here.
  • edited September 2018
    Here's the setup at Biltmore Movie Posters. The umbrella's were about $75 on Amazon, magnetic white board $5 if found at a local thrift store. *if you do use a free (hopefully) third party to host your images, place the URL in the box with the image on the top of our comment box. 

I have a 5 yr-old 32mg Nikon, and a tripod as well. 
    But certainly a phone works well also. 

• familiar...
  • I have a couple of original circus movie posters. The first is Greatest Show on Earth and the other is The Big Circus. Both are full-sized and restored by Igor Edelman in the late 1990s. I also have an Italian version of TRAPEZE, but that one is smaller . . . maybe 1/3 the size of a regular poster. I enjoyed circus (I taught trapeze at Club Med for a couple seasons), but the wife prefers other decor in our home so the posters and her other "rejections" sit at my office. I've always been curious as to their value.

• Welcome.

Value of course is subjective. But to get a "ballpark" figure, you might go to emovieposter, and search their Auction History. 
  • So happy to be here! I live in Maine, U.S. I've been scouring bits of info on linen backing and restoration from wherever I can find it for too long now ?!!  I got into posters with WW1 and WW2 bond and propaganda stuff. Have backed a few things so far and now I'm investigating the world of bleaching.. thanks for having me ✌️
  • Welcome Jeb! Lots of good info here!
  • Lots of new members popping in - don’t forget to introduce yourself...