Skip to content

The Saint RKO Series ( 1939-1943 ) Australian daybills

The Saint In New York ( 1938 )
The Saint's Double Trouble ( 1940 ) 
The Saint in Palm Springs ( 1941 )

The Saint RKO film series of eight films ( 1939 - 1943 )  so far available images.

The remaining five films we haven't images of are -

The Saint Strikes Back ( 1939 )
The Saint In London ( 1939 )
The saint Takes Over ( 1940 ) 
The Saints Vacation ( 1941 )
The Saint Meets The Tiger ( 1943 ) RKO British ( UK ) and Republic Films in the U.S.A. Due to some problems RKO sold U.S. distribution rights to Republic.

If anyone has images of any of the missing five images please share them here with us.

Worth while mentioning here is that there was another Saint film made ten years later after the last official RKO series entry.It was titled The Saint's Return ( 1953 ) made by Hammer Films and released in the UK by Exclusive films and Independent film Distributors ( IFD ) here in Australia.The only connection with RKO is that the film was released in the USA only by RKO under the new title of The Saint's Girl Friday.

Comments

• Not a daybill but a nice Aussie one sheet for Saint in London:

• edited May 2018
    Sorry, obviously not one of your requested titles Lawrence, but as an Englishman, you can't have a Saint thread without one shot of the suave Roger Moore! 

• Not a daybill but a nice Aussie one sheet for Saint in London:

Looking forward to seeing the image.

• I think he is trying to post this one.
  • Thanks Ves and I remember now you posted this image previously on the ''RKO 4 Star Logo Discussion'' thread. One sheets of course are rarer  to locate than the daybills so it is a great poster to own.
  • Oh it is beautiful, but sadly, again not mine :(
  • Yep that's the one - thanks Ves not sure what happened with the pic

Where's the rating's logo?....Sweet artwork!!!

Several pre-1940 Aussie posters don't have any ratings logo...seems to be random occurrence though and not necessarily tied to any printer, studio or style/format
  •  Take note that George Sanders's main head profile image pose in The Saint In London one sheet from 1939 appears again in the artwork from the different printer of The Saint In Palm Springs daybill two years later in 1941.

Several pre-1940 Aussie posters don't have any ratings logo...seems to be random occurrence though and not necessarily tied to any printer, studio or style/format
    Thanks Chris. It seems inconsistency is what's consistent in Australian printing.... ;)

HONDO said:

The Saint In New York ( 1938 )
    The Saint's Double Trouble ( 1940 ) 
    The Saint in Palm Springs ( 1941 )

Here is something interesting then. The Saint In New York originally had a censorship rating printed on the daybill, but if you look closely you can see where it was originally printed, then later painted over without using enough similar colour .

• An update. Just a note to let you that a daybill of The Saint's Vacation ( 1941 ), one of the earlier listed missing daybill titles, was auctioned at Christie's Melbourne Victoria on July 18 1993, and was sold for $99. We now know a copy of this daybill existed then and hopefully still does, and an image will turn up one day for us to see.