Skip to content

Did you know how we are able to identify so many obscure posters?

Did you know how we are able to identify so many obscure posters from every corner of the globe, week in and week out?

One of our 47,000+ bidders emailed us a correction on a Yugoslavian poster from a VERY obscure movie, and added the following:
"Keep up the great work. I still don't know how you are able to catalogue so many items -- every auction, every week, every month, all year. I hope you will share some of your secrets of success!"

He added, "The one's I find most difficult to catalogue are the unidentified Egyptian posters that are in Arabic, which I neither read nor speak, but I've discovered a few secrets to solve that issue."

We thanked him for his help, and we added the following to our reply:
"Yes, Arabic posters can be rather difficult to identify! Luckily, Google and/or Bing image search is able to find many of them (it usually requires translating the information on the pages). However, we still have to consult with experts for some of the more obscure posters."

He re-replied: "Yes, Google and Bing are good on reverse image searches. I've also found that Yandex (the Russian "Google") is also particularly good and seems to have spider-crawled more Arabic sites than Google or Bing; Yandex can sometimes find a hit that the other search engines miss. Here is a link to a site that you can upload an image and it will do the reverse image search on all three: Google, Bing, and Yandex: https://www.prepostseo.com/reverse-image-search."

And THIS is part of the "secret" to how we are able to identify so many obscure posters from every corner of the globe, week in and week out! What do I mean?

Part of it is that we have found lots and lots of websites (from the U.S. and all other countries) that have tons of data on obscure movies and posters. Many of these are very specialized to a single country, genre, film or star.

Part of it is that we have dozens of people like the above person who emailed us who regularly scan over our auctions and who send us corrections or additional information about current auctions (and also on ones from our Auction History). Many of these people are very specialized to a single country, genre, film or star, and that is fine! Say a person is an expert on James Stewart. They likely have a saved search for James Stewart items, and while they are looking at them, they will tell us of any errors we have made.

And the biggest part of our being able to identify so many obscure posters from every corner of the globe, week in and week out is that we have saved databases with ALL the past information we have previously uncovered in our research, so we always start out with information on all those items we auctioned before, and we mostly only have to research items we have NOT auctioned before.

This is purely a "labor of love" with us! We COULD simply present the name of the poster and take our best guess on the year, but we very much want our auctions to have an educational function as well, which is why we do lots of research every week, including on lots of posters from obscure movies that might well sell for very little!

Please consider becoming one of the many people who help us! The next time YOU are scanning over our auctions, and you see ANY kind of error (or omission) of ANY kind, please take a moment to click on the "Ask a Question" link on that page, and then tell us what is wrong, and we will quickly correct it.

With everyone pitching in, and with tons of hard work on our part, our Auction History can become the most accurate movie poster (and movies in general) source to be found anywhere on the Internet! Thanks very, very much to all those who have helped us in the past.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

Comments

• I personally wish to thank you Bruce for your passion and dedication in attempting to be the number one most accurate movie poster site on the internet. You are well and truly on the way to achieving this goal if you haven't already achieved it.
  • Nicely put Lawrence. And also, thanks much Bruce for your commitment to accuracy. Very cool. 
  • I personally feel pretty chuffed when I'm able to help the crew at eMovie update some details! :-)
  • Pancho said:
    I personally feel pretty chuffed when I'm able to help the crew at eMovie update some details! :-)
    Same here. Feels like giving back a bit to the a generous and dedicate company
  • HONDO said:
    in attempting to be the number one most accurate movie poster site on the internet.
    Thanks guys. But I see I did not express myself clearly. I don't think ANYONE could possible say we are not already the "most accurate movie poster site on the internet".

I have a bigger goal. I can't have more information than a site like imdb.com, but I CAN be more accurate than they are, and we have already found dozens of cases where they are flat-out wrong, especially on obscure or foreign movies, and I want to keep doing research (with the super help of people like Lawrence!) so that eventually you can look up just about any move on our Auction History and get solid information about it, more accurate than what is available anywhere else.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• edited November 2018
    Bruce you do so much for the hobby out of the kindess of your heart and true passion for the hobby and its nice to see members catch that passion and help along the way. Well done all! 
  • Thanks Sven. There really are a ton of great guys out there (and a few great gals, too!).