Skip to content

A Do You Know Your Classic Movies Quiz.

A new quiz aimed to test your knowledge on films that are now regarded as being classic films from the past. I am, I must say, excited about the possibilities of this quiz, I current;y have many other images that I intend to include here over a period of time. If you have seen any of the films that the images come from, you may immediately recognize them. Failing this though, you can still use your detective skills to come up with some answers,

As memory fades regarding details about a lot of viewed films, certain scenes from some movies clearly remain in one's mind.  The images that I will include here are mainly from films that I do remember details on, and that have  remained in my memory bank.

I prefer viewing films from the golden years of Hollywood to films on a whole that are produced today. There is still the occasional new  film that I do enjoy, like for example Elvis, Top Gun Maverick and  Where The Crawdads Sing.

I intend to not contribute to any other of my other quizzes for the time being, and solely concentrate on this quiz. Hoping the regular participants of my quizzes will enjoy this new quiz, and of course all other members are also welcome to join in the fun.

Let's see how the first four images are received.

C1
 C2
 C3
 C4

Comments

• I'm holding back and letting others have a shot
  • I only doing 1
    C3 - Black Narcissus

Oh I gonna love this quiz but need to refrain!
  • jayn_j said:
    I'm holding back and letting others have a shot
    Just do the one for now :)
  • Ok.  C4 - Duel in the Sun
  • edited September 2022
    I only doing 1
    C3 - Black Narcissus

Oh I gonna love this quiz but need to refrain!
    Correct. Black Narcissus was a 1947 release. It certainly is one of the most beautifully filmed movies of all time.

jayn_j said:
    Ok.  C4 - Duel in the Sun
    Correct. Duel In The Sun was a 1946 release. The scene that I had displayed, and the below image had been a toss up on which one to use. I finally decided that the following scene would have been far too obvious, and went with the  other one.

Seeing both Ves and jaynj don't wish to have to answer the majority of the images on the quizzes, I am hoping some other members may like to supply the answers for the remaining two images.To assist here some clues  hopefully well help.

C1. Considered one of the greatest films of all time.

C2. A well regarded 1940's film noir film.
  • C2 out of the past. One of my favourite movies
  • C1 Citizen Kane
  • Sven said:
    C1 Citizen Kane
    Correct.  Citizen Kane was a 1941 release. I originally viewed this film on television that used a cut soft focus C & C Television Movietime U.S.A. 16mm print. I must say that at this time that I wasn't too impressed. It was only years later when I saw the film on the cinema screen  via a brand new uncut Eric Dare 35mm print that the true worth of the film was discovered.

Sven said:
    C2 out of the past. One of my favourite movies
    Correct. Out Of The Past from 1947. The film is also a favourite film noir of mine. I just love the 1940's and very early 1950;s RKO black and white film noirs.

Welcome to this quiz Sven. and I hope you will enjoy the images I have ready to be included here in the future. Hopefully I can  look forward to seeing you participate here again. 

•  C5  C6
     C7  C8

I am extremely pleased that the first four images that were included here on the quiz have been successfully answered . Above are the second batch of four images that are from critically well regarded. films. One of the four films I have included in my top ten films of all time.

• C6.  The Defiant Ones
  • I believe C7 is Mrs Stanley Kubrick

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• C5 The Best Years of our Lives

• jayn_j said:
    C5 The Best Years of our Lives
    C6.  The Defiant Ones
    Both correct answers.

C5, The Best Years Of Our Lives was a 1946 release, and  C6, The Defiant Ones from 1958.
  • Bruce said:
    I believe C7 is Mrs Stanley Kubrick
    And the film title is ?
  • C8. I was getting a James Cagney vibe  and then I saw "wrestling" on the sign so going with Night and the City
  • I am wrong. I think I have the answer but I did need google
  • HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    And the film title is ?
    Paths of Glory

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Sven said:
    C8. I was getting a James Cagney vibe  and then I saw "wrestling" on the sign so going with Night and the City
    Sven said:
    I am wrong. I think I have the answer but I did need google
    I did like your Night And The City thinking though.

A little help I will provide.

The wrestling sign will not assist, but there is a solid clue appearing in the image. 
  • Boxing! C8 The Set Up
  • Sven said:
    Boxing! C8 The Set Up
    Correct, and I am pleased that you worked it out Sven. The Set-Up was a 1949 release.

What makes this film noir film somewhat more  interesting than other films of that time is due to the following.

The clock on the square at the beginning shows 9:05 PM, and the same clock at the end shows 10:16 PM. The movie takes place in real time. ( IMDb)

• Bruce said:
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    And the film title is ?
    Paths of Glory

Correct. Christiane Kubrick was married to Stanley Kubrick from 1958 until his death in 1999. She was billed in Paths Of Glory ( 1957 ) as Susanne Christian, who played the German singer in the very  moving scene at the end of the film. One of my top ten films of all time.

•  C9  C10
      C11 C12

Four more images of films that were critically well received when they were first released in cinemas. I don't think there will ne aany problem in them being identified.
  • C9 is Shane

• jayn_j said:
    C9 is Shane

Correct. Shane from 1953, A great film that I have viewed on numerous occasions.

C10. The Piano
    Correct The Piano from 1993.

• I only know Shane from those
  • Sven said:
    I only know Shane from those
    Some clues then..

C11. Set in Asia.

C12.  A Shane connection.

• I know the last one but will give others a chance.  The other I have no idea
  • C11 55 days at Peking?
  • HONDO said:
    Sven said:
    I only know Shane from those
    Some clues then..

C11. Set in Asia.

C12.  A Shane connection.

C12 is the connection jack palance?  I am thinking of a color movie but c12 is black and white