Skip to content

Temptation Island

There is some interesting history about this film and the daybill. Your imput appreciated?

Hondo

Comments

• Does it have anything to do with the headaches three women would cause?  :D
  • Nice one Chris! :))

• CSM said:
    Does it have anything to do with the headaches three women would cause?  :D
    I live with three. I agree.
    :)
  • The film Temptation Island was banned by the Australian censor in 1961 on the grounds of sex one would imagine. The daybill I believe, in keeping with the uncredited printer duotone style of that period, was printed for the New Zealand release As you can see the N.Z. censorship details have been stamped on the poster at a later date.

This wasn't the end of the story of Temptation Island. 

I am about to retire to bed so what happened next will have to wait a little longer.

Hondo

•  I know I said I was going to bed earlier but I just  had to finish this while my desire to put this story to bed was driving  me to complete it. Took a bit longer than I thought it would take though but I had to edit down a lot of information and make sure the facts were correct.. " Just the facts"

Temptation Island although banned for theatrical exhibition in Australia in 1961 was cleared for television release in January,1966, classified Adults Only and not to be screened before 8.30 p.m.

Channel 10 was due to screen the film on 22nd of July,1966 but was forced a few hours before the screening to withdraw the film after been asked to do so by The Australian Control Board The ban came after the station extensively advertised the film for it's ''Adults Only'' theatre. At the time it was thought it was believed to be the first time The Broadcasting Control Board had over-ruled the film censor's ruling.

The Broadcasting Board then viewed the film again and said no ban had been placed on it. The Chief Commonwealth Film Censor Mr. R. Prowse, when approached for a comment said TV  channels were subjected to more rigid censorship than film theatres.

Temptation Island was screened in a cut version on channel 10 on the 28th July, 1966 After a discussion took place between The Broadcasting Control Board , the Film Censorship Board and channel 10 management  several seconds of film, about 18 seconds were cut but a channel 10 spokesman statement said this would not effect the viewing. A later statement stated 24 seconds not 18 as earlier reported had been removed.

I have numerous newspaper articles I could post  but I don't wish to bore anyone with extra and in a lot of cases is repetitious details.If anyone is interested though just ask and I will oblige. I have posted one though from after the screening on  Canberra TV in October, 1966.

What I find amazing is a film is banned in 1961 and only five years  in 1966 the very same film is released for television with only 18 to 24 seconds removed. Why wasn't this done in 1961? What altered the way the censor thought.

Hondo

• 5 years is a long time in the world of censorship