Skip to content

Dating the Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Daybill

This is commonly referred to as an R58 - but I think not.

Hell, I love this poster, I actually own this one, it's been restored and it's now on my wall, but I don't think it's from 1958 at all.

The reason why it is dated 1958 is that the design is exactly the same as the re-release US Insert which of course is dated 1958, but the absolute earliest I can find a re-release of the movie here in Australia (from 1958 on) is 1966.

So unless better informed I would now like to suggest that the above poster is actually R66.

Yes-No?

Comments

• Yes makes sense david.
  • Oh and if u want the first release long daybill, i know where theres one! 
  • STFU...! X(

• Whats wrong david? Why u letting off steam?
  • Noooo, just a jealous streak rearing its head... :-\"
  • Lol no need for jealousy as i dont own it! Its for sale in a poster shop! :)
  • Yeah up that way. From memory 1.8k, im sure Matt can clarify..
  • Really, down the Nepean?

Hate to think what they are asking...
  • Yep, I remember now. It's hung up high on a column near the lobby card section.

And he has your Desire Me U.S. one sheet on linen too. Can't remember the price. Maybe $350
  • Problem with that retail shop, his prices are...retail!
  • Yeah u gotta pay up for quality posters!
  • Spend enough coin there does have its advantages.
  • I bet you have spent a shit load of coin there Matt!
  • In the early days, yeah.
  • Getting back to the daybill. There are plenty of copies out there which might support Dave's theory. At least one a year pops up on ebay. Got one myself. Just as sweet as the original.
  • Yeah the R66 is great but I have never seen an original

The 'what was formerly known as an R58' seems to sell for a pretty penny too. http://goo.gl/OTjUQT
  • I remember Greg got it off ebay maybe 3 or 4 years ago?? I think he more than doubled the price he paid for it.

Next time I'm down there, I'll take a photo. He had it linen backed.
  • If i remember right, the blank border at the top is trimmed.
  • Hmmm, that sounds about right. :-?
  • All evidence suggests that the daybill printer for MGM in 1958 was Chromo Print. Robert Burton doesn't start printing for them until 1963.
  • Most excellent - so that definitely dates the poster as post 1963 and closer to 1966, so R66 is looking more and more likely...
  • edited April 2014
    Yeah, it's post 1962 & looks it!
    1950s daybills are pretty rough printing wise & there is a lot of inconsistency in the quality.
  • Is this Mark ritchies?
  • It is, aka the Flower Power stalker...

Measures 13 1'/2 X 30 inches. Not trimmed at all. Advertised as a 40s RR.

• edited April 2014
    Ahh yeah thats the one! What was the price tag?
  • We heard from a guy who has been researching daybill years of release for many, many years, and here is what he said:

"I agree the daybill is from the 1960s. The first two films from Walt Disney MGM signed up to release in Australia after the collapse of  RKO distribution were Old Yeller & Perri plus 2 featurettes. Old Yeller was released in Australia in 1958 (IMDB INFO) & Perri in 1959 (The Film Weekly). Robert Burton Printers commenced printing daybills in Australia mid to late 1950s for film distributers including Columbia, Fox, Paramount & BEF. MGM daybills in 1958  until early 1960 were printed by Chromo Print. December 1959 Advertising & Commercial started to take over printing of MGM daybills.

This arrangement lasted only to early 1962 when Robert Burton Printers began printing MGM daybills for the first time in Australia. As there were a backlog of Walt Disney films  (MGM had signed an agreement after the original agreement to release Walt Disney product on an ongoing basis) I believe MGM only got to re-release the 1958 US re- release of 1958 between 1962 and 1964. After that various changes occurred in the MGM logos in Australia,  after 1964 would be ruled out. To sum up it is definitely is a early 1960s re-issue which I firmly believe (but no proof only years of daybill research) was re-issued by MGM between 1962 and 1964."

So this certainly seems to nail it to being exactly either 1962, 1963, or 1964!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• We heard from a guy who has been researching daybill years of release for many, many years, and here is what he said:

"I agree the daybill is from the 1960s. The first two films from Walt Disney MGM signed up to release in Australia after the collapse of  RKO distribution were Old Yeller & Perri plus 2 featurettes. Old Yeller was released in Australia in 1958 (IMDB INFO) & Perri in 1959 (The Film Weekly). Robert Burton Printers commenced printing daybills in Australia mid to late 1950s for film distributers including Columbia, Fox, Paramount & BEF. MGM daybills in 1958  until early 1960 were printed by Chromo Print. December 1959 Advertising & Commercial started to take over printing of MGM daybills.

This arrangement lasted only to early 1962 when Robert Burton Printers began printing MGM daybills for the first time in Australia. As there were a backlog of Walt Disney films  (MGM had signed an agreement after the original agreement to release Walt Disney product on an ongoing basis) I believe MGM only got to re-release the 1958 US re- release of 1958 between 1962 and 1964. After that various changes occurred in the MGM logos in Australia,  after 1964 would be ruled out. To sum up it is definitely is a early 1960s re-issue which I firmly believe (but no proof only years of daybill research) was re-issued by MGM between 1962 and 1964."

So this certainly seems to nail it to being exactly either 1962, 1963, or 1964!
    Well that narrows it down even more, thanks for the info. 

I will need to really dig deeper to find some advertising in those years as my original search only found ads for 1966 and nothing prior to that (in the 60s)
  • Matt said:

Measures 13 1'/2 X 30 inches. Not trimmed at all. Advertised as a 40s RR.

Well aint that a wonderful looking poster...who do I have to kill to get that
  • Super cool stuff David... Added to Facebook!