Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Looking For A Phantom Daybill?

Comments

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,308 admin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    David said:
    Freudian slip...?
    You'd think so but probably more so because of the alternate title on Gun Crazy...just in a luverly lady kind of mind
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Chris did you see my note on you poster site about The Mobster?
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    I did Lawrence - thanks. I knew it was retitled for "Dillinger".  Do you have any other information about it?  Does it date from the first Aussie release?
    CSM said:
    HONDO said:
    I did Lawrence - thanks. I knew it was retitled for "Dillinger".  Do you have any other information about it?  Does it date from the first Aussie release?

O.K. Chris this is what I know about it.

Dillinger was originally banned in Australia in 1946 on the grounds of violence and only allowed to be released in Australia in 1955.The film was retitled The Mobster for it's first Australian release and I don't know if this title was used anywhere else in the world. What is interesting is the word Dillinger isn't mentioned at all on the daybill. This information with similar wording of this information  was sent by me to eMovieposter.com last year so this information could be added to his site, which was duly done.

Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    CSM said:
    HONDO said:

O.K. Chris this is what I know about it.

Dillinger was originally banned in Australia in 1946 on the grounds of violence and only allowed to be released in Australia in 1955.The film was retitled The Mobster for it's first Australian release and I don't know if this title was used anywhere else in the world. What is interesting is the word Dillinger isn't mentioned at all on the daybill. This information with similar wording of this information  was sent by me to eMovieposter.com last year so this information could be added to his site, which was duly done.

Appreciate the info - thanks!
  • AMFAMF Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Does anyone know if any Australian posters for the Bergman film, Persona exist?
    AMF said:

The film was released in Sydney Australia by the major distributor United Artists in 1969. It would have released mainly on the arthouse circuit and bookings wouldn't have been many .Nevertheless daybills and one sheets would should been printed in limited quantities. Most likely no 3 sheets would have been printed. We can add this title to a growing number of films released in Australia where no paper has been located that we know of.
    Lawrence
  • AMFAMF Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    HONDO said:
    AMF said:

The film was released in Sydney Australia by the major distributor United Artists in 1969. It would have released mainly on the arthouse circuit and bookings wouldn't have been many .Nevertheless daybills and one sheets would should been printed in limited quantities. Most likely no 3 sheets would have been printed. We can add this title to a growing number of films released in Australia where no paper has been located that we know of.
    Thanks so much for that. I've been looking for ages now, at least now I have hope.
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

It's not mine, and it's not for sale, but now you know it exists...or maybe it was better when you didn't know????

or maybe it was better when you didn't know????
    Probably... :s
    David

Love to have one. One minor thing though in  the outside white borders along with the printer's name are missing. I am sure the printer would have been W.E.Smith but would like to know for sure. Great posting Ves.

Lawrence

It's not mine, and it's not for sale, but now you know it exists...or maybe it was better when you didn't know????

Damnnnn Ves - thanks for nothing! 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    CSM said:

Damnnnn Ves - thanks for nothing! 

Believe me, I thought twice before posting...

It is amazing how censorship on Aussie posters during the 40s & 50s was haphazard and arbitrary!  I am very surprised this artwork (along with the Gun Crazy title) exists...
    From research I did many many years ago, and what my swiss cheese brain can remember, and I am sure Lawrence and others will be able to chime in, it depending greatly on who was in charge at the given time...
    Didn't the Chief Censor stay in power for (seemingly) decades?
    David
    I thought there was a period in there (I can't remember how long it was or exact timing) that there was a change or a lapse or something...

There was a tightening in censorship towards horror films in the late 1940's and only relaxed in the late 1960's. Gangster films, apart from Dillinger & The Last Mile, which were  banned, were all released without too many problems.

Dillinger released finally in the 1950s as The Mobster but The Last Mile was never released theatrically.

The following gangster films off the top of my head that I would love to see daybills  for are -

Baby Face Nelson

Guns Don't Argue

Machine Gun Kelly

The Rise And Fall Of Legs Diamond

White Heat

I was going to post an image but am unable to do so at present so will download it later.

Lawrence

Just when you thought Peggy Cummins was bad in Gun Crazy.

Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,579 admin
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    My list is probably slightly newer due to my leaning towards 1970s horror and exploitation. Daybills I've never seen include:

Point of Terror, Terror - both the Norman Warren and Franco Prosperi films, Terror on Tour, Trip With The Teacher, New Year's Evil (I have some sort of poster for this one, but not a daybill), Asylum of Satan (Satan's Spectrum) - the William Girdler film, George Romero's The Crazies, Three on a Meathook, The Last Horror Film...

The list could go on!

Pretty much all of these titles were passed by the OFLC as 35mm prints at some point in the 70s and 80s, so it's not too far fetched to suggest that these films did see theatrical release, but I'll be darned if I've ever laid eyes on any paper for them!

The Crazies ( 1973 ) was passed for exhibition in Australia for public exhibition on the  first of October, 1974 with a R certificate on 35mm being submitted by Warner Brothers Australia. Although I  have never sighted a daybill or any other Australian paper I am sure it exists somewhere. There is a huge amount of films from the 1950s through to the 1979 and some beyond where any form of posters haven't been sighted by the general public. I recently was able to sight about 20 titles from the 1950s and 1960s from Columbia Pictures, BEF and United Artists that I have never seen before.  I wasn't able to take photos but I did make a list all the titles. Admittedly the titles are not from A films any mainly from serials and B films including some duotone titles that I am sure would have been the only daybills printed.

The good thing is because of this forum images are turning up for us to see including the fabulous Gun Crazy daybill so keep them coming.

Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭ Daybiller

Pancho I've got a Crazies daybill (and Martin), will try to get a photo over the weekend. I've never seen a Dawn of the 
    Dead daybill but there was a one-sheet (both one-sheet and daybill for `Night').
    Rick said:

Pancho I've got a Crazies daybill (and Martin), will try to get a photo over the weekend. I've never seen a Dawn of the 
    Dead daybill but there was a one-sheet (both one-sheet and daybill for `Night').
    I've been told by someone who has the original press sheet that there were only one sheets made for the Australian release of 'Dawn of the Dead'. I've got the waybill for 'Martin' but would love to see a daybill for 'The Crazies'! Seriously Rick - do you have every poster I want? :)  
    I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway: is there a daybill for the third film in the 'Blind Dead' quadrilogy?

I have the DB for 'Tombs of the Blind Dead', 'Return of the Evil Dead' and 'The Night of the Seagulls' but oddly I've never seen Australian paper for the third film, known as 'The Ghost Galleon' and 'Horror of the Zombies'. Why would films 1, 2 and 4 see local release but not part 3?
    Superfly was a huge blaxploitation film, but I've never seen a daybill for it. Anyone able to shed any light on it?

HONDO said:

There was a tightening in censorship towards horror films in the late 1940's and only relaxed in the late 1960's. Gangster films, apart from Dillinger & The Last Mile, which were  banned, were all released without too many problems.

Dillinger released finally in the 1950s as The Mobster but The Last Mile was never released theatrically.

The following gangster films off the top of my head that I would love to see daybills  for are -

Baby Face Nelson

Guns Don't Argue

Machine Gun Kelly

The Rise And Fall Of Legs Diamond 

White Heat

Tidying things up. The Rise And Fall Of 'Legs' Diamond ( 1960 ) along with White Heat( 1949 ) daybills since located. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HONDO said:

Newspaper files from 1945 onwards appear to have not record of this film being released in Australia. I have no record of it being banned and I cannot see why it would have been.The only thing I can think of is it was made on a shoestring budget and released by the king of poverty row distributors PRC and not all their product was picked up for distribution in Australia  so I am thinking no daybill.Just had a quick check of the more well known PRC titles such as Devil Bat, Fog Island &  Nabonga and couldn't find any daybill images. The only one of these three titles that appeared to have been released in Australia that I could find was Nabonga.Seems as if only selective titles were taken up for distribution in Australia.

Hondo

The above was written in reply to John asking about the existance of a Detour daybill in June 2015. 

For anyone interested in PRC I would like to share some recently gathered information and a few images..

Seven Doors To Death ( 1944 ), Today I Hang ( 1942 ), The Ghost And The Guest ( 1943 )  and The Black Raven ( 1943 ). Australian newspaper advertisements for four  PRC films that did receive a release, if only a limited one, in Australia. Today I Hang first released in Ipswich, and not in Brisbane, the capitol city of Queensland.

Some other titles found to have be released in Australia are - Strange Illusion, Bluebeard, Minstral Man, Nabonga and Fog Island. All of these last five titles were PRC U.S.A. released either in 1944 or 1945. Nabonga was peviously mentioned by me  in 2015 as being released here, but since then Fog Island that I couldn't locate anything for it to at that time to prove it being released here has now been confirmed that it did receive a minor number of bookings here in Austtralia. 

What I find very interesting is that none of the nine known PRC titles listed as being released here seem to have a single daybill image available to see. I thought that Chris would most likely like to locate a daybill of Strange UIllusion being a film noir crime film. Seen below is a U.S. one sheet. I couldn't locate either a U.S. insert or a 3 sheet but the one sheet could indicate a nice looking daybill was printed to add to his wants list.   

Finally it is a shame that what is regarded as the best PRC film that they ever released, being  Detour, never reached our shores. Around 286 films were released by PRC in the U.S. between 1939 and 1948. Very few films appear to have been acquired for Australian distribution but those that were picked up  certainly weren't of the quality of Detour.

There is one other film though that certainly appears that it wasn't released in Australia that deserves a mention here as well, and in the case of Detour should have been selected.. The film is Railroaded! from 1947, and it's an early film noir directed by Anthony Mann who went on to direct many other great film noirs and westerns including T Men, Side Street,  Winchester 73, The Naked Spur, The Furies, The Far Country and Bend Of The River.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Confessions Of An Opium Eater ( 1962 ) original U.S.A. insert poster.. For whatever reason this film certainly appears to have not obtained an Australian theatrical release, so Ves you need to cross this Vincent Price title off your daybill wants list.

The film was screened on Austalian television under the title Souls For Sale, the re-issue title, on of all places the Australian Broadcasting commission in 1993.The newspaper television screening review above wasn't complimentary in any way.

Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    You’re squashing my dreams Lawrence!   I’ve always wondered about a Detour daybill and Railroaded was certainly another I hoped to find.

Oh well appreciate the research and info 🙂
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

CSM_2_Point_0 said:
    You’re squashing my dreams Lawrence!   I’ve always wondered about a Detour daybill and Railroaded was certainly another I hoped to find.

Oh well appreciate the research and info 🙂

Lawrence