Skip to content

Australian Press Sheets

Australian Press sheets and Press Books have been pretty much neglected over the years and many have been thrown away or disposed of without a second thought. The trouble is that they provide really valuable information in terms of Australian poster that were printed.

I am compiling an inventory of the many Australian Press sheets that I have and scanning them as I go so that there is a record of them. I wish I had done this in the past but it is obviously very time consuming.

I imagine that many of the Aussie collectors have Australian press sheets. If you do, I think it is worthwhile taking a scan of the entire press sheet before selling or throwing it away. Maybe one day, we can get a searchable database up and running that could be used as a reference (perhaps the federal government can cough up a couple of mill to help fund the project!).

In the meantime, if you have scans of older press sheets or press books you are welcome to send them to me and I will add them to my database.

Comments

• Will be a great additional resource to help date Australian posters. Great plan John that will be very time consuming but a ultimately rewarding project. I am currently working on my ''There Are Australian Daybills And One Sheets Existing For These Films'' thread so I have a good idea what the work load will be like.
  • I only have a handful, and they are all for more recent stuff...so not much help here I'm afraid.
  • Apart from the images that are shown on press sheets they also show what was printed eg a 24 sheet, 3 sheet, one sheet and daybill was printed for Gentleman Prefer Blondes but for Go West they only printed one sheets and daybills. That sort of information should complement the work that Hondo is doing.
  • Yes this sort of information will be of great value to my research and in general determining releases dates. Curious to know if you know John which of many releases the Go West is from. Won't re-releases possibly present a problem though in determining  the years of the re-releases as press sheets weren't dated were they?
  • I have a few 1970s and 1980s press sheets - are these too 'new' for this project?
  • Not at all, I am trying to get a record of as many Australian press sheets as I can. If you are able to send scans of the ones you have to me that would be good. I have about six boxes of press sheets to go through from the 30s to 90s but I think it is a worthwhile project because it really helps in identifying Australian posters.

• How is the inventory process going John?
  • I am scanning and cataloguing as many press sheets as I can but I have recently purchased some massive collections of movie posters that will take all my time for the forseeable future. I will have to put the press book project on hold for the time being.
  • John said:
    I am scanning and cataloguing as many press sheets as I can but I have recently purchased some massive collections of movie posters that will take all my time for the forseeable future. I will have to put the press book project on hold for the time being.

It is understandable about the press sheet project being not a priority with you.

It is great news about you purchasing some massive collections of movie posters. I hope you have obtained some exciting titles among the purchases, and even that some well known sort after previously unseen titles are among them.

• I only recently came across this image that I had forgotten that I had. As I hadn't noted at the time of  finding this image on Google who had included it there I am wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding the origins of this large collection of press sheets? This image goes back many years since I collected it.