Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Ask Your Linenbacking & Restoration Questions

14567810»

Comments

• JustinJustin Member Posts: 6 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Types of linen / canvas? 

After scouring the forums, I've found what kind of paper to use (PH neutral, around 80g, typically Japanese Masa).

But as for the linen... From what I've read people now use canvas?

What are the typical weights used for backing (in grams or ounces) for both linen and canvas?

I've read to use untreated linen, but what does that mean exactly?

Also with the canvas, is it generally called duck canvas

My issue is that in Paris theirs a garment district where they sell everything under the sun but w. restoration / backing, I want to make damn sure I get the right goods... And find the right translation.

Thanks a heap. I'm back in Paris and after I get my next shipment in, I'll get started on my first resto project and post the resulting disaster (in parts) on these forums.
    Kentucky-bred Eurotrash
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,408 admin
    Yeah, not sure who uses actual linen, but most use cotton duck canvas. Unprimmed. I get mine from Jerry's Artarama. 60x30, 12oz; although I've read some use 14oz, i get nice results from the 12oz. 

Masa, i use a soft white, 70gsm, pliable enough when wet/damp to be laid down nicely and glued to the canvas. I get mine from Talas in NY.

Absolutely post some pictures of your linenbacking adventures, would love to see them!