Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Where Are These Daybills?

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

Chris has previously showed us his copy hanging on the wall of Night And The City. Is this new copy a separate and second copy then?
    Lawrence
  • darolodarolo Member Posts: 49 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Sven, I think I have Treasure Sierra Madre image, I'll look. In the meantime here's Spellbound.

• darolodarolo Member Posts: 49 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Probably the only rare one in this shot is Woman on Pier 13.

• SvenSven Member Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Cheers Dave. Pier 13 is a beauty.  I think Matt has one also..a dam good acquisition 
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,494 admin
    Wowza again! More nice Daybills!! Drummond and Falcon are my favorites! 
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:

Chris has previously showed us his copy hanging on the wall of Night And The City. Is this new copy a separate and second copy then?
    Nope I do not have the daybill but I do have the insert on my wall.  Ves shared a pic of the daybill before and I assume this is a second copy although not certain...
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    darolo said:
    White Heat is one of the few 40's crime daybills I haven't had, I have an image of a photocopy though. This poster dates from the 50's however, it was released early 1951.

Very interesting...
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 890 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited October 2018
    HONDO said:

The Australian 1953 Australian re-release one sheet  and extracted from the preceeding 1933 image posted by Ves is what appears to be a one sheet with a very similar design. It appears then the original 1933 artwork was copied in 1953.

The NZ '53 sniped version.

Although im not sure why they needed two snipes?
    Post edited by collectahollic on
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,643 admin
    My only guess is that both snipes covered something. Bottom right obviously the Aussie rating and the top, maybe it was rated with a stamp then later revised with a snipe? A scene or two deleted maybe?

Matt said:
    My only guess is that both snipes covered something. Bottom right obviously the Aussie rating and the top, maybe it was rated with a stamp then later revised with a snipe? A scene or two deleted maybe?

Or just wanting the censorship message to get through? Being such a popular film it would greatly appeal to under 14 year olds more so than a lot of other films receiving this rating. The printer's credit are difficult to read, but I believe the printer's name is F. Cunninghame which would explain the lesser quality of the artwork.Southern Studiso as well possibly? Wil would you please confirm the full printer's details appearing on the poster?
    Lawrence
    The printer has to pay the person to put 2 snipes on instead on of 1. And print those snipes. They want to make money (the printer)  I don't see why they'd do that. Without payment to do so? 

Wil do you know the person who has this KK? Get some info about the snipes possibly.
    Matt said:
    Wil do you know the person who has this KK? Get some info about the snipes possibly.
    Planning on it being mine imminently Matt. As for the upper snipe, from the earlier posted image (with the Aussie decal) it appears it's only covering flames, so rather bizzare. Or as Lawrence said, maybe they were just trying to get the point across?
    HONDO said:
    Wil would you please confirm the ull printer's details appearing on the poster?
    No problem Lawrence, in bed right now (11:44 in kiwi land) will confirm tomorrow.
    Okay bud, thanks. And wow, great pickup if you can get it. Good luck.
    HONDO said:

Matt said:

Or just wanting the censorship message to get through? Being such a popular film it would greatly appeal to under 14 year olds more so than a lot of other films receiving this rating. The printer's credit are difficult to read, but I believe the printer's name is F. Cunninghame which would explain the lesser quality of the artwork.Southern Studiso as well possibly? Wil would you please confirm the full printer's details appearing on the poster?
    Another thought is the person  applying the snipes became bored and their mind wondered, and a second sniped was placed on the poster due to a slight lack in concentration.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Wil would you please confirm the ull printer's details appearing on the poster?
    No problem Lawrence, in bed right now (11:44 in kiwi land) will confirm tomorrow.
    Thanks Wil.
    Lawrence
    Fantastic find Wil!
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Matt said:
    Thanks Matt. There's a couple of nice war themed Daybills along with it that I'm after such as the hitler "will it happen again" 1948 doco/production. Not a big hitter, but rather 'unique' artwork. Fingers crossed I'll be able to post some better images shortly. 
    Clearly the Aussies need to patch up relations with NZ and get over there to join the action - seems to be where all the good stuff is now  :o
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Matt said:
    Thanks Matt. There's a couple of nice war themed Daybills along with it that I'm after such as the hitler "will it happen again" 1948 doco/production. Not a big hitter, but rather 'unique' artwork. Fingers crossed I'll be able to post some better images shortly. 

Will It Happen Again ( 1948 )  original U.S.A. insert design and a re-titled 1950's re-release 2 sheet poster. Looking forward to seeing the daybill image to see if it resembles the insert design.
    Lawrence
    Clearly the Aussies need to patch up relations with NZ and get over there to join the action - seems to be where all the good stuff is now  :o
    I'm pretty sure all the really good stuff left these shores many, many years ago.
    edited October 2018
    HONDO said:

Looking forward to seeing the daybill image to see if it resembles the insert design.
    @HONDO Very close, although Hitler looks much older and deceased :) 

I like the Will It Happen Again? poster image Wil. Thanks for posting.

The great looking Speed To Spare daybill I don't ever remember seeing before. It certainly is a rare one too,along with Will It Ever Happen?.

And the familiar Australian one sheet image .
    Lawrence
    Thanks Lawrence, I definitely prefer the daybill to the OS of STS. 
    Thanks Lawrence, I definitely prefer the daybill to the OS of STS. 
    Yes the Richardson Studio daybill artwork does it for me too.
    Lawrence

The original long Australian daybill of A Night At The Opera* 1935 ) image is missing as far as I am aware, but also  appearing to be missing is the Australian 1949 re-release daybill poster that would have the wording of An MGM Silver Anniversary picture included on it.

An original Australian helald is the only poster I have been able to locate for the 1935 release and nothing at all from the 1949 australian re-release, except an Australian newspaper advertisement from 1949.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Colditz Story ( 1955 ) daybill. Previously mentioned on this thread as being a missing daybill, but now an image has since surfaced. Unfortunately the poster was printed by F. Cunninghame and leaves a little to be desired with John Mills image , but the red colour is great though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

X Marks The Shop daybill image and Bruce's nicer designed U.S.A. insert image for comparison.

Tammy ( aka Tammy And The Bachelor ) ( 1957 ). The Australian daybill has turned up, but unfortunately it is a F. Cunninghame designed and printed poster once more.

( John ).

Jack the Giant Killer ) 1962 ). Is there a full colour daybill existing for this film? I believe that there was one printed? Due to the short lived censorship rating printed on the poster this poster certainly has to be an early printing.

The Hitch-Hiker ( 1953 ). Original U.S.A. insert and one sheet posters.

Australian  newspaper advertisement for Australian screenings in 1954.

One would think the missing Australian, most likely to be Simmons printed, daybill would be a colourful great looking film noir poster. Where are you?

The Sound Of Fury (1950 ) ( aka Try And Get Me! ).

Another film noir that I would like to see an Australian daybill image of.

Bitter Springs ( 1950 ). Second printing australian daybill, Australian ad blocks and one used in  an original 1950 newspaper advertisement.

The above daybill is usually advertised as being printed for the original Australian release in 1950, which it not the case, and the reason for this is as follows.

The definate prooof is contained in the following Newspaper article publised in the Newcastle Morning Herald And Miners Advocate NSW on January 2 1954. 

Talking about Aub.'s work it states in the above story - '' He has designed posters for but one of the major film companies for films such as 'Moulin Rouge'  and 'Bitter Springs' ...' 
    The original poster Aub. designed would have been a full colour poster printed by W.E. Smith who he worked for at this time.  
    The above daybill displayed above was printed by F, Cunninghame who were very profific in producing follow up daybill poster printings in the 1950's. My guess only is this poster would have been printed at  the earliest in 1951. but may easily have been later than this. The ad blocks for Boiier Springs above clearly display the wording ' Distributed in Australia by EAGLE LION. Distributed by B.E.F.' This Eagle Lion / BEF distribution advertising was used in Australia up to late 1951, when  after Eagle Lion was absorbed by United Artists. BEF and Rank/BEF logo advertising took over in  late 1951.

There have been many second printing daybills available to see and purchase over a long period of time, but one has to wonder where an original 1950 Aub. Moleley designed for  W.E. Smith daybill is ? 

( John ).

Caged ( 1950 ).  Originally listed on this thread in title only in August 2015, here is now an Australian newspaper advertisement and an Australian one sheet printed for the first release here.

Perhaps these images may give us an idea as to what the missing daybill may look like.

The Steel Trap ( 1952 ).   U.S. insert poster and an Australian newspaper advertisement from 1953. 20th Century Fox Australian  daybills designed by W.E.Smith around this time were limited in detailed artwork, so the ad design possibility could indicate what the daybill may look like.

Sudden Fear! ( 1952 ). Original U.S.A. insert poster and a 1953 newspaper advertisement from the Australian release.

Two more absent film noirs, that I eagerly and hopefully will see see daybill images of one day, especially the Simmons / RKO Sudden Fear! 

Crack-Up ( 1946 ) . An original U.S.A. insert and an Australian newspaper advertisement  from 1947. The full bleed Simmons RKO daybill that would have been printed for the Australian release of this classic film noir title would most likely be a beauty. 

Cry Of The Werewolf ( 1944 ). Original first release U.S.A. insert poster and an Australian newspaper advertisement from 1945. Should be a nice looking W.E.Smith Australian daybill somewhere, which hopefully will surface soon.

Counter-Attack  ( 1945 ) original U.S.A. insert poster, and a re-titled in Australia as One Againsr Seven newspaper advertisement from 1945. A little known film these days and no Australian film posters have seemed to have surfaced.

Interestingly the scene of Paul Muni pointing a tommy gun on the American poster has gone from a tommy gun to Paul Muni showing a threatening fist on the Australian ad. What were his next words I wonder. Were they perhaps something like - ''be careful or you will seriously get this hand''.                        
    Lawrence

White Cargo ( 1942 ).  Marchant & Co. original full colour daybill and the same design printed in one colour, also by Marchant.  This then leads me to comment on the following  Little Nellie Kelly daybill.

Little Nellie Kelly ( 1940 ). Released in Australia in 1941. Marchant & Co. one colour daybill. The missing original full colour daybill, one would believe would be the same Marchant design as well. If and when a copy turns up it certainly will be a great looking poster.

I have also discovered some interesting findings regarding the usage of the same artwork plates by two different printers. This information will be included soon on Hondo's This And That thread soon.
    Lawrence

Some thoughts on what the missing Richardson studio Australian long daybill and one sheet of Alfred Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn ( 1939 ) from Paramount may look like, particually the one sheet.
    Lawrence
    edited November 2019
    Image result for jamaica inn australian poster
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Image result for jamaica inn australian poster

Yes an Australian one sheet image is available to see and possibly it is in some cases the first time being seen by some people. Thanks for Chris for sharing the image here.

The same Jamaica Inn one sheet image  of Charles Laughton was also used on the above Australian newspaper advertisement in 1939.

The Australian daybill image to the best of my knowledge hasn't been sighted to date. The absent daybill should be a Richardson Studio / W.E.Smith long daybill. One wonders what it may look like? Is the following original U.S. insert a guide?  

Lawrence