Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Sci-Fi Fims Although Not Banned In The 1950s & 196Os Were Not Theatrically Released In Australia.

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
Any thoughts ?
Post edited by HONDO on
Lawrence

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited August 2015

Two films that were not banned but also not theatrically released in Australia in the 1950s and 1960s are ---

QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE

VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS

To cover myself I am going to add as far as I am aware the two films were not banned or not theatrically released in Australia.

Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,556 admin
    Do you know the reasons why they weren't released?

Sorry I just discovered From The Earth To The Moon ( 1958 ) was eventually released in Australia by MGM in 1964. I removed this title from my original posting above. From The Earth To The Moon and also Enchanted Island ( 1958 ), which was also released by MGM in Australia in 1965, were involved in a court case in the U.S.  I suggest going into Google  and searching   Waverly Productions V. RKO General, Inc. to read all about it as it makes interesting reading.

With Queen Of Outer Space and Village Of The Giants I have no idea why they didn't make to our shores. 

Lawrence
    edited August 2015

Village Of The Giants ( 1965 ) &  Queen Of Outer Space ( 1958 ).

Images I thought appropriate for above mentioned films.

Lawrence

Target Earth ( 1954 )

Target Earth was an independently made science fiction film distributed in the U.S.A. & Argentina by Allied Artists Picture Corporation and possibly also in Mexico as well so I am thinking perhaps Allied Artists had the South American screening rights as well as the U.S. and possibly Canada. I am fairly sure the film wasn't banned in Australia as I think it was never submitted for classification in the first place as Allied Artists didn't have the Australian distribution rights and no other Australian film distributor managed to secure the screening rights.

The DVD rights appear not to be owned by Warner Brothers who now own the majority of the Allied Artists catalogue.

The plot concerns giant robots from Venus invading Chicago. Only one robot costume was constructed for this film and it was used for all the robot scenes. That is why you never see more than one member of the  ''robot army'' in a shot. On learning this it makes one ( me anyway ) want to have a look at the film to view the one robot army ( pictured above ) in all its glory and how the producer managed to convince, if at all, that there was in fact an army of robots invading Chicago. There are at least two drawn on the poster above and my how they have grown in size.

The film's producer Herman Cohen had a dismal track record with having few of his horror films released in Australia. Those that were passed for exhibition were cut.The vast majority were banned  from exhibition in Australia or rights possibly not taken up with titles including Konga, Black Zoo, Horrors Of The Black Museum, Blood Of Dracula, How To Make a Monster I Was A Teenage Frankenstein & I Was A Teenage Werewolf.

Richard Denning who made a fair few low budget horror and sci-fi films throughout his career was an actor that I remember playing the Governor in the long running original series of Hawaii Five-0 as well as being in An Affair To Remember and Beyond The Blue Horizon with the lovely Dorothy Lamour.

Lawrence
    HONDO said;

Target Earth was an independently made science fiction film distributed in the U.S.A. & Argentina by Allied Artists Picture Corporation and possibly also in Mexico as well so I am thinking perhaps Allied Artists had the South American screening rights as well as the U.S. and possibly Canada. I am fairly sure the film wasn't banned in Australia as I think it was never submitted for classification in the first place as Allied Artists didn't have the Australian distribution rights and no other Australian film distributor managed to secure the screening rights.

I have just established that Target Earth did receive an Australian theatrical release in Sydney NSW on June 12 1958. The Australian distributor for this Allied Artist film was United Artists. Contrary to my thinking that Allied Artists didn't have the Australian distribution rights it certainly turns out that they did.   

The original U.S.A. insert poster,  This film was possibly the last U.A. Australian released Allied Artist film before Paramount took over Australian distribution from U.A. in 1958. 

Obviously the Australian produced Target Earth daybill and other poster sizes are extremely rare. Love to see an Australiab daybill.  

The 1954 U.S. released film certainly took a long period of time to reach our shores. 

Lawrence