Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• 205 is an all time favourite with an outstanding soundtrack, although I'll take 207 and leave for someone else:

The Train (1965), Burt Lancaster in the lead.

Sorry Wil the wrong train for 207.
  • Noooooooooo. In that case 205: The Battle of Britain (1969) 

• edited September 2018
    jayn_j said:
    I'll take 206 as 633 Squadron (1964)

Correct Jay.

The great Australian actor John Meillon, who appears in the image I had posted, played flight Lt. Gillebrand an Australian in the film.

For non Australians John Meillon would be best known for playing Walter Reilley in Crocodile Dundee ( 1986 ) and Crocodile Dundee 11 ( 1988 ).

• Noooooooooo. In that case 205: The Battle of Britain (1969) 

Correct Wil.
  • FWIW, I have lobby sets for both Battle of Britain and 633 Squadron.  Neither one is loaded on my site though :(

• # 207 clue.
  • HONDO said:

Final clue is to concentrate on the famous actor in the foreground.
  • edited September 2018
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Possibly Dirk Bogarde, therefore a long shot at 207: The password is courage (1962) during a possible escape attempt?

Also your first clue resembled Director Andrew Stone.
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Possibly Dirk Bogarde, therefore a long shot at 207: The password is courage (1962) during a possible escape attempt?

Also your first clue resembled Director Andrew Stone.
    Correct film title, actor, and yes the image was of Andrew Stone along with his wife Virginia Stone, who among other things was a film editor, but not on this film. They were a team who produced this film and often worked together. You can easily watch this film for this great train derailing sequence on the internet.
  •  208 209

Three from the U.S.A. this time.

• Too hard, or perhaps interest has waned with this quiz? Please let me know.
  • 208 Too Late the Hero

• edited October 2018
    Too hard for me Lawrence, I've been through a mass of images for Dawn Patrol - Wings etc. still no joy with the last one. 208 could be Gregoey Peck in MacArthur (1977)?
  • #210 is Hell's Angels (1930)

I was thinking macArthur for #208 as well, but could not find a matching image.\
    #209 - tried The Longest Day and others.  Could not find a match.  Too tough.
  • Matt said:

208 Too Late the Hero

Correct.Too Late The Hero from 1970.

• Too hard for me Lawrence, I've been through a mass of images for Dawn Patrol - Wings etc. still no joy with the last one. 208 could be Gregoey Peck in MacArthur (1977)?
    Matt answered # 208 correctly with Too Late The Hero.
  • jayn_j said:
    #210 is Hell's Angels (1930)

I was thinking macArthur for #208 as well, but could not find a matching image.\
    #209 - tried The Longest Day and others.  Could not find a match.  Too tough.
    Correct for # 210.
  • HONDO said:

I did think this one was really hard, so some clues then. The film is set in 1953 during the Korean War. Starring a well known Universal-International contract player and a little known actor at the time the film was made, who later found super stardom in Hollywood.
  • Could the image be a not so subtle clue? 209: The Steel Helmet (1951)?

• Could the image be a not so subtle clue? 209: The Steel Helmet (1951)?

Not The Steel Helmet.

A tagline from this low budget independently made film is ''There's A Fine Line Between Soldier And Killer''. The image shown is nothing more than a helmet on a rifle raised in a trench to draw enemy fire response. A famous film director also stars in a leading role in the film, and he ended up having  long lasting screen collaborations together with one of the other actors over following three decades.

• HONDO said

A tagline from this low budget independently made film is ''There's A Fine Line Between Soldier And Killer''. The image shown is nothing more than a helmet on a rifle raised in a trench to draw enemy fire response. A famous film director also stars in a leading role in the film, and he ended up having  long lasting screen collaborations together with one of the other actors over following three decades.

In that case 209: War Hunt (1962) where awarding winning director Sydney Pollack (staring as Sgt Owen ) met Robert Redford.

• HONDO said

In that case 209: War Hunt (1962) where awarding winning director Sydney Pollack (staring as Sgt Owen ) met Robert Redford.
    Correct and good work Wil.

War Hunt ( 1962 ) original film poster and a later printed film poster with United Artists hoping to benefit from Robert Redford's new found fame.

•  211 212 213

Three more British films.

• edited October 2018
    212: Sailor of the King (1953) For some reason I'm having trouble with adding an image.

I'm also guessing 211 is the Longest day scene where the two German fighters strafe the british beach? 

212: Sailor of the King (1953) For some reason I'm having trouble with adding an image.

I'm also guessing 211 is the Longest day scene where the two German fighters strafe the british beach? 

212 is correct Wil. Titled Sailor Of The King in the U.S.A. and most of the world including Australia. The original U.K.title was Single_Handed.

211 isn't The Longest Day though. Good guess nevertheless. 

• #211 is the 1958 version of Dunkirk

• edited October 2018
    jayn_j said:
    #211 is the 1958 version of Dunkirk

Damn! How'd I miss that. That's what you get for trying to knock these off at 4am. :) Well done.
  • jayn_j said:

Correct Jay.

jayn_j said:

Damn! How'd I miss that. That's what you get for trying to knock these off at 4am. :) Well done.
    Not to worry Wil there will be others to test your knowledge. 

A clue for the remaining # 213 is that it was released in the early 1960's The leading actor and actress met for the first time on the shoot and later married. The Beatles had a  connection with the actress.

• HONDO said:

A clue for the remaining # 213 is that it was released in the early 1960's The leading actor and actress met for the first time on the shoot and later married. The Beatles had a  connection with the actress.

Thanks for the clue Laurence, however the three possibles (Jane Asher - once engaged to Paul McCartney, Eleanor Bron - HELP actress and Mia Farrow - stayed with Maharishi Mahesh in India at the same time as the Beatles) have all drawn a blank in their filmographies for a 60's war flick. Will keep looking.
  • I don't think any of the Beatles ever met the actress Lawrence is referring to.  They dedicated a song to her.