Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Overstreet Guide to Collecting Movie Posters

CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,641 admin

Well I was able to get a plug for VMPF in the Overstreet guide.  They gave me four pages for the interview I submitted...  Summed it up by stating I started VMPF with my two poster buddies...   Not sure I can reproduce the pages but it is quite a treat!

http://gemstonepub.com/-the-overstreet-guide-to-collecting-movie-posters

That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...

Comments

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,307 admin
    Four pages of what interview?!

...and very cool.
    David
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,389 admin
    Very nice!  Hadn't heard of Overstreet guide before now, is it something that is released/revised and new editions released? When would it be released with your interview?
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,641 admin
    Overstreet guide has been around for ages as a comic book resource...  It may be a version based book but there are no price guide sections.  Book is already out.
    Never heard of it, still cool you're in there.

Might buy it just so I can see Charlie's piece...or do you have a spare from that pallet lot you bought?
    David
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,641 admin
    I have original doc I sent, so I can post that... 
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Duck Do
    It's more than a Hobby...
    edited November 2015
    You have a great ear, David!

McCartney/Lennon was the greatest duo of all time. Thank goodness George Martin was around as well! =)

Thread seems to have taken turn since Charlie left! =);)
    Where did I go?
    edited November 2015
    Charlie said:
    Where did I go?
    To the store for more beer?  =)

which does remind me...
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,485 admin
    Sounds cool, I will have to get me a copy
    Finally got to sit down...  Had a two day golf tourney - Two man match play... 1st place!!!

Here you go - pretty close to what was published.  The article had pictures of my posters.  I got four pages!

Movie Poster Collecting Q&A

Charlie – Houston Texas

How long have you been collecting movie posters?

Since 1998 or so – 17 years.

Why did you start collecting movie posters?

Fell in love with movies and wanted something to connect to the film. 

Are you a big fan of movies or do you just collect for the art? If so, what is it about movies that you love?

Big fan of movies and especially certain actors and actresses. I have purchased a few posters just for the art but the bulk of my collection is centered on specific films and/or actors and actresses. Eastwood, Audrey Hepburn, and Elizabeth Taylor being the bulk of my collection.  What I love about movies is they simply allow you to escape for a short period of time and often allow you to question yourself about the world, relationships, and the future.

What attracts you to collecting movie posters?

They are a part of the films production, part of the history of making the film.  For example Bill Gold (whom also designed Casablanca) worked on pretty much every poster for Eastwood starting with Dirty Harry up to Mystic River…  They are wonderfully full of color, they are delicate, and an immediate visual que to recall the film.  Think about pretty much any classic poster: Dial M for Murder with the hanging phone, Unforgiven with William Munny holding his pistol behind his back – I mean sure he ended up killing the antagonist with a shotgun but the poster immediately makes you recall the film.  I think also the people whom really collect posters are very close, it is a very small world.  You make friends all over the world.  I live in Houston and my buddy in Argentina just sent me a Butterfield 8 poster because he knows I like Liz Taylor and my friend in Australia just sent me the poster from a well-known Australian film call “Red Dog” because I was an immediate fan.  I can tell you many more of these stories. We all take care of each other.

What was the first movie poster that you collected?

I can’t recall the exact one.  It was either Great Expectation (1998) - the art portrait of Gwyneth Paltrow by Francesco Clemente (the real artist whom made all of Finn’s work) or the poster from Rushmore, Wes Anderson’s follow-up to Bottle Rocket.   Funny thing is I had no real sense of them being investments and hung them up straight away with push pins in my room.  I never thought I would end up having thousands of posters – just thinking these two were so cool to have over my desk…  Something to look at while I did my homework.

What is your favorite piece in your collection?

There are too many to name.  The first one that comes to mind straight away is the Polish poster for Picnic (see actual image of my copy below).  I fell in love with this one straight away.  Never thought I would find it and after searching for many years found it from a very small seller in Poland that sold out of a coffee shop (the way I understand)…  Paid and arm and a leg but have never regretting buying it.  The art is by Waldemar Swierzy. 

What is the most valuable poster in your collection?

Probably a tie between my Breakfast at Tiffany’s US One Sheet and my Dial M for Murder US 3-Sheet.  Both range from $4,000 to $8,000 depending on the auction and/or retailer (below are images of my posters).

Which posters do you want to add to your collection?

I need a few more Audrey Hepburn US One Sheets to finish off a set of them, namely the Roman Holiday.  I need a first release Rear Window to go with my Dial M for Murder 3-Sheet and To Catch a Thief 6-Sheet.  And I’ve been pining for a War of the Worlds US One Sheet.  But I never have the discipline to save up.  I go a year or so in between bouts of discipline, buying less valuable posters and then I’ll quit for six months and save up for a big one.

Do you collect different movie poster sizes?

I pretty much have every kind from every country.

Do you collect other movie memorabilia?

I like photo stills.  Photo stills are really fun because you will see a classic image on tumblr or facebook and wonder where it came from.  Then you find the original still and you pump out hundreds of dollars to have it.  My favorite is this Liz Taylor from A Place in the Sun – her eyes in this photo are just beyond compare.  Where else are you going to find this in a vintage format?

Do you have a preference on what type of movie art you collect?

Not really.  I don’t typically collect for the art. Some collectors will buy posters of movies they have never seen.  I am guilty in buying some posters of films with actors/actresses that I love and haven’t gotten around to seeing all their films.  Some buy based on artist – I know one guy that is a huge Bob Peak fan (Superman and Apocalypse Now…).  Drew Struzan – Star Wars and even Saul Bass (Anatomy of a Murder, Vertigo…).  But I personally very rarely buy just for the art.

Do you focus on a time period, genre, artist, or anything else?

Movies and Actor/Actresses.

How much does condition impact your decision to purchase a poster?

Some.  For modern posters with clay based ink, the posters have to be pretty darn close to perfect.  I can be satisfied with some edge wear because I know that if from a theater attendant taking out of the frame but if a modern poster has issues in the middle part of the poster I typically stay away.   Breaking of the clay based ink reveal white creases. For older posters as long as most of the art is still there I can be satisfied.  I also restore posters, so anything that I can fix, I will buy.

You should also be aware of the standard grading scales – which I am sure you have researched.  Some use their own but the Jon Warren guide is heavily referenced.

Is linen backing a factor for you when it comes to purchasing posters?

Linenbacking is a hot topic for me.  I started an entire website dedicated to investigating the practice and what collectors should know.  I had a bad experience with a restorer and decided to learn the art/science on my own.  It basically chemistry.  I even introduced a restoration scale on my blog.  This may educate you more and feel free to use any of the pictures and the scale as long as you credit my name… 

http://pulpfixin.com/blog/2012/11/17/emerging-necessity-of-a-conservation-support-and-restoration-scale/

The bottom line is that a collector will never really know what they are buying and what has been covered up with a linenbacked poster.  Even the best and most well educated collectors and sellers can be fooled.  One example I recently posted on movieposterworks was about what you don’t know about your restored poster.  One of my friend’s posters got wet from a roof leak and I am helping him by relining a couple of his linenbacked posters.  Just looking at it there appeared to be minimal airbrush work and it looked great.  Once I pulled off the support the restorer didn’t even bother to remove much of the tape residue, electing to cover it with acrylic (permanent paint) .  The acrylic doesn’t wash away and made the impregnated parts of the poster hard to work with.  The acid in the paper had yellowed it and once that acid had been removed, with a good deacidification wash, the paint and the paper no longer matched…

http://www.movieposterworks.com/blogs/pulpfixin/48297987-what-you-dont-know-about-your-linenbacked-poster

What about restoration?

I recently wrote a blog post on this.  There has been much conversation on the differences between conservation vs. restoration…

http://pulpfixin.com/blog/2014/09/17/conservation-vs-restoration/

Do you consider resale value when purchasing posters?

Sure, it’s hard not to.  You want to buy a poster for less than you could possibly sell it for at some point.  Preferable 20% or more below auction values because consignment fees typically range from 20% to 50% depending on the final hammer price.  But then some posters, I don’t waste any time trying to find a lower price. 

Where do you buy your posters?

Everywhere they are sold.  I like eBay because you can find better deals if you are educated enough to avoid the fakes.  In 17 years I can count on one hand the number of fakes I’ve purchase thinking they were original.  You just have to be smart.  If the deal is too good to be true it probably is. 

How do you store them?

Flat files mainly – I have 35 drawers full. I place a poster and then have either acid free paper or poly bags in between them.  I also keep a bunch rolled in boxes designed specifically for movie posters.

Do you decorate with them?

Sure.  If I am willing to take a break from buying and purchase frames.  I have probably 30 up at any one time.

What advice would you give to someone new to the hobby to avoid overpaying or buying reprints that are claiming to be originals?

Buy from a reputable dealer.  Join a forum ask as many questions as you can.  I started out on www.allposterforum.com asking for help in identifying if a Pulp Fiction poster was authentic and then later started my own with two of my poster buddies www.vintagemoviepostersforum.com .  Poster collectors love to help other collectors.  Like any group, it takes a commitment and thick skin for longevity – but we never shy from fast and free help.  Overpaying is also a subject of contention.  Is it overpaying if you were willing to spend the money?  Posters are valued differently by different collectors.  Some people will spend thousands on James Bond posters, I wouldn’t pay much more than what I had in my pocket other than to potentially flip it to another collector.  The best advice is to buy what you like from a reputable dealer, based on what you can afford, enjoy them, and don’t worry about the rest.  I underline “you”, because many new collectors seem to think there is this standard set of posters every collector should have – I’ve seen it time and time again.  Just buy what you love, not what you think other people will like.   

" Just buy what you love, not what you think other people will like."

Well said, great article Charlie. And congrats on the golf result!
    David
    Very cool, nice long piece! A great testimony for the hobby, and certainly a satisfying personal accomplishment. :clap:

oh, and congrats on the 2-man match play 1st place!
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Enjoyable read charlie! ! Well done mate!
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Hey Charlie what rear window poster do you want?
    edited November 2015
    The first release US OS is my first choice...  But I've considered the other formats. To complete the Hitchcock-Kelly hat trick...
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Interesting interview Charlie...I had no idea Overstreet was moving into the poster arena
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• MirosaeMirosae Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Just read this interview Charlie.  Very good, informative and helpful. So very true you should buy what you like, and pay whatever you want for it (or can afford).

Rosa -
    Love some paper