Skip to content

Amicus daybills

Howdy!

I've been collecting Amicus daybills for some time now and there are a few titles that I've been unable to locate any Aussie paper for. I'd love any info (either in the affirmative or the negative) about the missing titles.

Missing daybills:

* The Skull
* They Came From Beyond Space
* The Terrornauts
* The Vault of Horror
* From Beyond The Grave

Daybills that do exist / I have:

* Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
* The Psychopath
* The Deadly Bees
* Torture Garden
* The Mind of Mr Soames
* The House that Dripped Blood
* I, Monster
* What Became of Jack and Jill?
* Asylum
* Tales From The Crypt
* And Now The Screaming Starts
* Madhouse (AKA The Revenge of Dr Death)
* The Beast Must Die

Comments

• There is a daybill existing for From Beyond The Grave printed in duotone in the style of Warner Bros. / Roadshow daybills of that period. I would describe it as a light brown redish colour on the white background.  

Not sure if any of the other four titles were released in Australian or not. I will do a little research and get back here at a later time.

• Love to see the FBTG if anyone has one!
  • Pancho said:
    Love to see the FBTG if anyone has one!

Have had problems downloading the image but will have it soon for you to see one way or another. 
  • Thanks Ves for downloading the image for me. Enjoy Pancho.
  • HONDO said:

Have had problems downloading the image but will have it soon for you to see one way or another. 
    Try hotlinking it rather than uploading it
  • Hmmm... only an NZ daybill perhaps?
  • Pancho said:
    Hmmm... only an NZ daybill perhaps?

The film was classified M by the Australian censor on 01 /01/ 1974 and the applicant was Warner Brothers Australia. This would make it certain that an Australian release took place.
  • There's no M rating on the daybill pictured - hopefully there's a full colour AUS daybill out there!
  • Pancho said:
    There's no M rating on the daybill pictured - hopefully there's a full colour AUS daybill out there!

The daybill is presented in the style of a lot of the Warner Brorhers / Roadshow daybills from the 1970s and  would have been the only style printed. The example was from a batch printed solely for New Zealand usage. The ones printed for Australian distribution would have had the M rating printed on them but apparently are scarce but I am sure one will surface at one time or another considering it is from the 1970s.
  • Following up on Pancho's inquiry regarding a daybill for The Vault Of Horror ( 1973 ) from Amicus. I have recently spoken to a representative from the Australian Attorney Generals Department in Sydney. N.S.W. regarding this film. This is where all film classification records including banned films in databases are held. In their records they have no record of the film being banned or submitted for 35mm Classification at the time of the original overseas release date. The only record for this title was in 1984 and again in 1985 when the film was passed for videotape exhibition by two different applicants. Alternative titles for this film were also checked but nothing found under these titles. In conclusion no Australian daybill was printed.
  • Well, since starting this thread about 2 years ago:

Missing daybills:

* The Skull - No image located.
    * They Came From Beyond Space - No image located.
    * The Terrornauts - No image located.
    * The Vault of Horror - confirmed by Hondo as having no Australian release.
    * From Beyond The Grave - NZ daybill located (and purchased). Still no Australian image located.

The one that most puzzles me is 'The Skull'. Starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee and based on a story by Robert Bloch (the author of 'Psycho'). 
  • Pancho said:
    Well, since starting this thread about 2 years ago:

Missing daybills:

* The Skull - No image located.
    * They Came From Beyond Space - No image located.
    * The Terrornauts - No image located.
    * The Vault of Horror - confirmed by Hondo as having no Australian release.
    * From Beyond The Grave - NZ daybill located (and purchased). Still no Australian image located.

The one that most puzzles me is 'The Skull'. Starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee and based on a story by Robert Bloch (the author of 'Psycho'). 

Checking out all The Film Weekly Australian trade yearbooks from the 1964-1965 edition through to the 1971 edition, The Skull, They Came From Outer Space and The Terronauts do not appear within the list of Sydney, NSW film releases covering this period of time. Checking out limited newspaper material available from the 1960s and 1970s none of the three titles were located.

It would appear to me that none of the three films obtained a theatrical release in Australia. Information on banned theatrical films pre 1971 is incomplete. Of the three I doubt that They Came From Beyond Space would have been banned, had it been submitted to be classified. It was science fiction and not horror.

My thoughts are that The Skull, which was released in the U.K. U.S.A., and it appears throughout the World by Paramount Pictures, would most likely have been banned by the Australian censor. The Terrornauts & They Came From Beyond Space were screened as a double bill in the U.S.A. by Embassy Pictures. Not certain why these two titles weren't released in Australia but poor quality, along with limited overseas distribution in Australia for certain Embassy Pictures product at that time, may have been the reason.