Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Recent hangings...

Comments

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Wonderful! But don't forget the ceilings. LOTS more space there!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,470 admin
    Yeah, Awesome! My first thought was also, did he talk to Mel?!  :D
  • BobBob Member Posts: 18 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Here are a few of my my current framed ones.

A Dutch (quite old) Tom Mix poster.
    The Spanish version of The Left Handed Gun (in which Billy the Kid has red hair!).
    Reflections in a Golden Eye, also from Spain.
    And the well known US 1-sheet of One Eyed Jacks.

These two might be interesting to see for Rick.

To the left we have the Turkish poster of Charro!, and to the right the Spanish one.
    That Turkish poster happens to be my favorite Presley poster.

• rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member, The Framer Posts: 633 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Awesome posters!  Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, and glad the pics are appreciated.

I have nowhere near the amount of posters you guys have, and of the ones I do have (mainly western posters), I only have very few in a frame because of the limited wall space.

This one I forgot, hanging in the hall, the little but nice Belgian poster of the same movie.

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited April 5
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Great looking posters Bob. 

I'm sure Ves wouldn't mind owning a copy of  the Spanish The Left Handed Gun.

Great Dutch Tom Mix serial poster
    Lawrence
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,470 admin
    edited April 6
    great stuff, Bob! That Tom Mix poster has me thinkin....where can i find one! Love the Westerns! Keep'em coming!
    HONDO said:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Great looking posters Bob. 

I'm sure Ves wouldn't mind owning a copy of  the Spanish The Left Handed Gun.

Great Dutch Tom Mix serial poster
    I don't think it's that rare, is it? I've seen it on eBay a few times over the years, and prices for Spanish posters rarely go high (at least not for Elvis movies).

great stuff, Bob! That Tom Mix poster has me thinkin....where can i find one! Love the Westerns! Keep'em coming!
    It's currently on eBay, but sadly at a very high price, $700:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Poster-The-Miracle-Rider-1935-Dutch-19-5-x27-5-VF-7-5-Tom-Mix-Joan-Gale/222227769189?hash=item33bdcea765:g:5BQAAOSwHoFXvKFt

I was lucky, a few years ago, when a friend dragged me from one antique shop in Amsterdam to another (I live 200km north of Amsterdam btw), and at this one shop, the owner had just bought a huge stack of promotional posters from the 30's and 40's, mostly from circusses, and all in pristine condition. You won't believe the bright colors on the circus posters! They came from the son of a collector who had recently died. The shop owner had bought them very cheap, so he could also sell them cheap. He had just priced the Tom Mix poster at EUR 75 (you can still see his handwritten pencil price in the upper right corner), so I got it for that low price. I must admit though that I regret not buying at least one of the circus posters, these were really something.

I had been wondering if The Miracle Rider, seeing there appears to be a lot of copies around, was original release or a re-release from the 1940s. 

Dug around a little and found that it was a 1949 re-release in The Netherlands. A lovely poster nevertheless

Arebu - 'Tom Mix en zijn paard Tony / De Razende Ruiter/ The Miracle Rider' - 1949

Originele Nederlandse filmaffiche: re-release uit 1949 van "The Miracle Rider' met silent movie-ster Tom Mix in de hoofdrol

Originele filmaffiche (Express Film) uit 1949. Nederlandse re-release door Express Film van de originele western uit 1935.
    Voorzien van stempel Nederlandse filmkeuring links boven.
    Ontwerp: (Studio) 'Arebu', Amsterdam
    Afmetingen: 69,5 cm hoog x 49,5 cm breed.
    Conditie B+ : normale vouwsporen, verder puntgaaf.
    Druk: 'Arebu' - Amsterdam.
    Verzending: gevouwen in versterkte en beveiligde omslag

The Miracle Rider is a 1935 Mascot movie serial directed by B. Reeves Eason and Armand Schaefer. The serial stars silent movie cowboy star Tom Mix in his last major film role.

In 1930s Texas, following the murder of his father, Tom Morgan joins the Texas Rangers to avenge his father's death and to follow in his path as a proponent of Indian rights. His task as a Ranger is to stop the evil Zaroff and his gang, who are smuggling the elements for a powerful explosive from a mine on Indian land.
    This was Tom Mix's last film and his only sound serial. Tom Mix was still an A-list star in 1935, alongside Charles Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. and Mary Pickford. He was paid $40,000 for four weeks work on The Miracle Rider, which he used as urgent funding to support his circus. (bron: Wikipedia, IDMB)

Lawrence
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,835 admin
    Nice!
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    HONDO said:

I had been wondering if The Miracle Rider, seeing there appears to be a lot of copies around, was original release or a re-release from the 1940s. 

Dug around a little and found that it was a 1949 re-release in The Netherlands. A lovely poster nevertheless
    Great information, thank you Hondo!

I was able to find a bit of info as well in one of Hake's books.

That pic was taken from this great book, from 1994:

• RickRick Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Nice Charro, thanks Bob.
    Bob said:

Curious to know if any Australia daybills or other Australian film poster sizes appear in this book?
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Bob said:

Curious to know if any Australia daybills or other Australian film poster sizes appear in this book?
    I went through the book page by page, and there were no Australian posters anywhere. The Dutch Tom Mix turned out to be an exception, there are a few UK items, but the rest is all US.
    I don't collect vintage western merchandise myself, but I do enjoy these kind of collector books very much.
    The only problem with this particular book is that it is absolutely loaded with images, but these are all very small, and most are in black & white. There are some full color pages though, like the one below.
    I for one would very much welcome a big coffee table style book on the subject of vintage western memorabilia!

There is also this nice book, similar in subject. Much less complete, but with larger images of the collectibles.

Alrighty. The topic of the moment inspired me to dig into some of the stuff that I haven't looked at for ages. And someone in this thread mentioned to keep the western posters coming. So here are a couple more items, including a poster that might be of interest to Hondo.  ;) 

I don't want to derail this thread anymore than I did already, so this will be my final post on the subject.

This is a book that comes highly recommended to fans of westerns and western lobby's. Though the theme of the book is quotes from westerns, nearly every page is filled with high quality stills and lobby cards and half-sheets.

Two extra brilliant nostalgic western  film related books you have now included here. The Tall In The saddle one looks to be one of particular interest.

Thanks for the Hondo And the Apaches poster image, featuring the other Hondo.

I appreciate you checking out the first book for any Australian film posters for me.

Three nice looking books to have in your home.
    Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,579 admin
    Yeah thanks for sharing Bob!
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    So I got really bored this week, and finally got around to swapping out the long ones.  Apologies for the crap pics with glare.

Another stroll through your wonderful museum of art.  :) As always, they look great Ves! Such beautiful colors!
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Beautiful Ves!
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,835 admin
    Been getting some stuff on the walls at the new house... Taking forever to move.

That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    YOWZERS! Somebody’s been bizzay! Looks great, Charlie! The 1 sheet for Pixar’s Soul (advance maybe) would go well with your La La Land.
    OMG!  How fantastic!
    Nothing better than putting posters up for the first time.
    So many wonderful posters!  Well done :)