Skip to content

The Asphalt Jungle ( 1950 ) Daybill

I believe this The Asphalt Jungle ( 1950 ) daybill is a 1954 re-release daybill.  The film was re-released in the U.S.A. in 1954 and in Australia in 1954 as well to capitalised on the then huge popularity of Marilyn Monroe. The daybill has the same pose of Marilyn as on the U.S. re-release 1954 poster artwork and notice the word Masterpiece on the poster.

Comments

• Aside from it being a later RR poster, the almost bigger question is: Given it is likely a later re-release, capitalizing on Monroe's growing fame and star quality, how is it that she was given NO credit on this daybill??  :o 

Her name is completely missing. How was that kind of blatant oversight pulled off and achieved? Another major dropping of the ball, I'd say.
  • A newspaper advertisement from the Sydney Morning Herald of the 16th of July, 1954 advertised  ''Sexy, sensational Blonde behind a dirty double-cross  MARILYN MONROE  ''THE ASPHALT JUNGLE'' with Sterling HAYDEN''. Someone was on the ball then to capitalise in on Marilyn's new found fame. The leaving off of Marilyn Monroe's  name, used to great advantage on the U.S. paper re-release, is just one of an alarmingly number growing oversights and errors perpetrated by Australian distributors and printers on daybill and other posters.
  • Definitely looks like a RR.

•     

1954 U.S.A. re-release 3 sheet and insert posters of The Asphalt Jungle, with the Marilyn Monroe pose on both posters being very similar.

The only Australian daybill poster image seemingly available to view at this point of time is the above Simmons printed one. I still believe that this poster that was printed for the Australian re-release in 1954. The MM pose is exactly the same as appears on the U.S. re-release 3 sheet.

The following U.S.A, 1950 first release  insert and 3 sheet poster artwork would have most likely been  used in some form or another on a first release Australian daybill, which just isn't the case with the above daybill artwork.

The original U.S.A. insert and 3 sheet posters from 1950.  I am thinking, and believe  that a  yet unsighted  first release Australian daybill would have most likely have been printed by W.E.Smith. What seals up my belied that this daybill is a re-release is the word masterpiece printed on it, and the prominent Marilyn Monroe pose that only appears exactly  the same on the U.S. 3 sheet and  is similar on the insert. As seen above this MM pose  on the daybill just doesn't appear of the original U.S. insert or 3 sheet versions.

Is the absence of a first release daybill of The Asphalt Jungle due to the popularity of Marilyn, along with perhaps a scrapping of any remaining first release daybill once the re-release version was printed? Ladies Of The Chorus, Love Nest and Be Your Age  ( aka  Monkey Business ) are other Marilyn daybill posters that I cannot locate images of.

Your thoughts?

• Asphalt Jungle certainly looks like a reissue
  • Apart from John is their anyone else that would care to comment and agree or disagree with my re-release belief?

I very much would like to hear what others think.
  • edited August 2022
    Always thought is was a re-release too myself.
  • Thanks to Ves for responding and earlier on to John as well.

More images supporting my re-release belief  will follow soon.
  • I've always thought it was a re-release. As Hondo pointed out the pose is the same as the 3sh RR, would seal it.
  • Thanks Matt for your reply.

Now some more images that should certainly confirm that the only known Australian daybill version is a 1954 Australian re- release, and not an original first release 1950 poster.

A newspaper advertisement for the 1955 Melbourne Victoria re=release. The Marilyn pose and the masterpiece among thrillers usage tie in with the daybill.

The above ad from the U, S. A. 1954 re-release press book shows the couple running hand in hand, This same image appears on the Australian daybill. As far as I see  this image wasn't used on original U.S, advertising.
  • Heritage Auctions and eMovieposter have both sold this daybill, as original too and I'm pretty sure that's accurate. 
  • darolo said:
    Heritage Auctions and eMovieposter have both sold this daybill, as original too and I'm pretty sure that's accurate. 
    We will have to disagree here.

What evidence do you have to support an original release? I cannot find anything myself. Just because the two sources you mentioned state the poster is original doesn't necessarily make it so.
  • I would base the poster seen as being original down to the following. 1. It's printed by Simmons, who were printing MGM daybills in 1950, but not in 1954 in fact not even beyond 1950 from what I can see.  All the daybills 1953-54 are Smith printings. 2. It uses the long form - A Metro Goldwyn Mayer Picture, from about 1950 onwards daybills used the short form - an MGM Picture. 3. It doesn't have Monroe listed in the cast at all, which is consistent with the original but obviously not with the reissue. Given that MGM would have reissued this (just 4 years later) to cash in on the Monroe fame, not to print the most crowd pulling name on the poster goes beyond a mere error and into the realm of gross negligence.  Monroe's name wouldn't be missing - if an ad printed for a Melbourne theatre or any theatre correctly adds Monroe's name then you can be sure that a printing campaign to send this material nationwide would have enough eyeballs scrutinizing it in the production to avoid a glaring error like that. From looking at 1954 publicity materials the exploitation really was all about her - I would think a reissue daybill would have Monroe dominating the poster.
    4. Monroe was generously used in posters from the 1950 release - U.S. Belgian, French. Not just posters either, pictured on original publicity photos such as a photo that the image on the daybill was copied from. 5. 1954 posters state to some degree that it is a reissue, there's quite a difference in meaning between A masterpiece and The masterpiece, which doesn't need elaborating, but obviously it's about singular and plural. A masterpiece among thrillers is basic spruiking and doesn't stand it out from other so-called masterpieces - which could be many in number.
    I think it's a vanishingly small likelihood that after 3-4 years since their last MGM poster, Simmons Ltd printers come out of the shadows, print posters for one MGM movie or perhaps just one size (daybill), go against the convention that was now adopted and print Metro Goldwyn Mayer on the poster instead of MGM, are dutiful enough to have a decent image of Marilyn Monroe on it but are unable to add her name to it - no one in the process picks up on this oversight.  
    That said I'll happily give a reissue price for this daybill if one is available.
  • Well said!
  • It is interesting in what Dave has mentioned above.

All the four points that were raised I will respond to shortly. with my different thoughts and some images too.

• My response to Dave's comments.

1. It's printed  printing MGM daybills in 1950, but not in 1954 in fact not even beyond 1950 from what I can see.  All the daybills 1953-54 are Smith printings. 

I think it's a vanishingly small likelihood that after 3-4 years since their last MGM poster, Simmons Ltd printers come out of the shadows, print posters for one MGM movie or perhaps just one size (daybill )

The following  daybills are three examples of Simmons  posters printed post 1950 that cancel out your above thoughts.

Tea And Sympathy ( 1956 ) first release daybill  poster, along with two 1954 titled stock daybill posters produced for Tennessee Champ and The Student Prince.  

2. It uses the long form - A Metro Goldwyn Mayer Picture, from abby Simmons, who wereout 1950 onwards daybills used the short form - an MGM Picture.

As previously mentioned, and examples displayed above, some post 1950's daybills were actually produced by Simmons.

I suggest that the original long form MGM usage applied to The Asphalt Jungle was simply a case of just copying the 1950 used wording from material used at that time.

I think it's a vanishingly small likelihood that after 3-4 years since their last MGM poster, Simmons Ltd printers come out of the shadows, print posters for one MGM movie or perhaps just one size (daybill), go against the convention that was now adopted and print Metro Goldwyn Mayer on the poster instead of MGM,

Another fact is that the long form A Metro Goldwyn Mayer Picture wording was still being applied occasionally to W.E. Smith printed MGM  daybills  located up to at  least 1953 in Australia. I have a few examples of this taking place with the latest released example being Torch Song ( 1953 ) seen below. Surely this then would have one believe that the long form MGM name usage on The Asphalt Jungle daybill  would have been a distinct possibility.

3. It doesn't have Monroe listed in the cast at all, which is consistent with the original but obviously not with the reissue. Given that MGM would have reissued this (just 4 years later) to cash in on the Monroe fame, not to print the most crowd pulling name on the poster goes beyond a mere error and into the realm of gross negligence.  Monroe's name wouldn't be missing - if an ad printed for a Melbourne theatre or any theatre correctly adds Monroe's name then you can be sure that a printing campaign to send this material nationwide would have enough eyeballs scrutinizing it in the production to avoid a glaring error like that. From looking at 1954 publicity materials the exploitation really was all about her - I would think a reissue daybill would have Monroe dominating the poster.

Human error, or did they believe Marilyn's image alone was all that was required to sell the film?

4. Monroe was generously used in posters from the 1950 release - U.S. Belgian, French. Not just posters either, pictured on original publicity photos such as a photo that the image on the daybill was copied from

The Marilyn pose and other material from the daybill covered  earler on this thread correspond with the U.S.A. 1954 re-lease and not the original U.S. 1950  poster artwork.   

5. 1954 posters state to some degree that it is a reissue, there's quite a difference in meaning between A masterpiece and The masterpiece, which doesn't need elaborating, but obviously it's about singular and plural. A masterpiece among thrillers is basic spruiking and doesn't stand it out from other so-called masterpieces - which could be many in number.

They simply applied original wording to the re-issue daybill artwork.
  • Good homework on this poster but it's not quite complete. None of those Simmons posters state Metro Goldwyn Mayer on them whereas the earlier Simmons - 1950 and before are all A Metro Goldwyn Mayer Picture.
    The Asphalt Jungle has the earlier Simmons Ltd Sydney wording same as Annie Get Your Gun from the same year, then there is many years gap and the Simmons handwriting and wording on those 3 pictured (1954-56) is quite different (and each is the same handwriting). And even the best one of those three, Tea and Sympathy is well below the litho quality of those earlier Simmons - missing the crayon texture very evident in Annie Get Your Gun and the Monroe image in Asphalt Jungle. Simmons MGM output 1954 onwards looks very cheap.

• All good points that you make, and you may well be right in believing the poster under discussion is a first release daybill. I'm still sticking with my thoughts that it is 1954 Australian re-release daybill poster though.

To definitely solve this question and to receive an answer, what we really need is either one  of the printed Australian press sheets from 1950 or 1954. Another different daybill poster, if one does exist would be brilliant..  
  • From Trove and the original release - they quote "A Masterpiece among thrillers", probably from the original press sheet.

• Two more Simmons printed MGM daybill posters. Both Friendly Persuasion and The Opposite Sex from 1956. I don't believe that there will be any other post 1950 Simmons printed MGM full colour daybills yet to be located for any first release titles. I am saying this after completely going through my comprehensive MGM Australian daybill images library. 

I am wondering if these two posters, along with Tea and Sympathy daybill which were all late 1956 releases in America were all printed from the one production sheet of paper. John mentions on his website that this was a common practice at that time to do this.

Comparing these three images to The Asphalt Jungle daybill one has to remember that these three examples are from 1956, a few years after The Asphalt Jungle was printed that a lot can happen in those two years with poster wording application.

The following two included earlier stock posters, although they were 1954 released films I firmly believe that they printed later than 1954, and I am thinking 1956. I am also thinking that there may also be a missing yet unseen third stock poster as well that had been produced at the same time as the other two. 

• From Trove and the original release - they quote "A Masterpiece among thrillers", probably from the original press sheet.

Good one , BUT it is possible that the tagline was just being recycled.   

• Agreed, just pointing out that it wasn't being used in the same way they used to say "An MGM Masterpiece Reprint"

So, where Is an original press book? The suspense is killing me.
  • Same here. Either pressbook, where are you?

By the way I am thinking the artwork on the Friendly Persuasion daybill  is superior to The Opposite Sex and Tea And Sympathy poster artwork..
  • Great stuff...Loving it!
  • The following  Australian press sheet has surfaced. The front page has an image that is very similar to the Australia daybill that has been under discussion since July 2016.  1950 or 1954 is still the question? No definite proof that it is either. What would be great is that another daybill or press sheet to surface. A extreme long shot I imagine is for an Australian one sheet may one day turn up. 

A point that I don't believe that I have previously mentioned is that where a pre 1960 film has been re-released, posters of the re-release are normally available in large numbers, whereas the original version is often either missing altogether, or only available to locate in very small numbers, 

( Matt / Back To The Flicks )

• edited February 7
    No further thoughts?
  • To me, the Australian press sheet clinches that the daybill is first release. I can't see how Marilyn would not be prominent;y billed on a re-release, as she was on the U.S. re-release.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• You may well be correct, but no definitive proof that it is the case.

I would still like to see an alternative daybill and Australian press sheet surface.