Skip to content

THE RETURN OF SCARFACE Movie Poster Identification Details

edited July 2016 in The '30s

I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO ATTACH A PHOTO. I'LL KEEP TRYING.

WHY DOES IT SAY THIS NEXT TO MY POST? Mexican Lobby Card

====================

THE RETURN OF SCARFACE Movie Poster Identification Details

I have a movie poster entitled:

THE YEAR'S SMASH HIT AGAINST CRIME

THE RETURN OF

SCARFACE

- WITH -

PAUL MUNI - GEORGE RAFT

BORIS KARLOFF - ANN DVORAK

HENRY ARMETTA - KAREN MORLEY

There is only writing; no images. Off white background (may have been white at one time).

41" H x 28" W

THE RETURN OF SCARFACE in in BLUE. The rest of the writing is in RED.

The movie SCARFACE came out in 1932.

I was told that this poster is from 1934. I acquired it from the archives of a museum.

I cannot find any information on a movie entitled THE RETURN OF SCARFACE, therefore I cannot verify the year, value, etc. of the poster.

I see the link to attach images. I will attempt to do so.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Mexican Lobby Card is the lowest ranking a member can get on this forum - it is allocated automatically

The rankings are:

Level       Name
    Criteria

Mexican Lobby Card

1 post
    One-Sheeter

• 5 points
    • 50 posts

Daybiller

• 20 points
    • 500 posts

Three-Sheeter

• 50 points
    • 1000 posts

Elite Collector

• 200 points
    • 2500 posts

The rankings serve no purpose other than when you get a certain number of points you can trade them for an original Breakfast at Tiffany's One Sheet Movie Poster.

Posting photos is very easy (except for two members here), basically you hotlink the image by pasting the image URL into the space provide when you click the icon in the tool bar above your comments area (the one to the right of the chain image)

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/discussion/1085/photos-on-the-forums

---------------------

The clue is in the word 'Return of...' suggesting it is a re-release, as to which year without the image hard to call.

The only 'blue' poster I can find is this one which was a re-release in 1941 - but it does not have the wording 'the return of'

The original from 1932 looked like this

• edited July 2016
    One question: Are you sure the width is 28 inches? A typical onesheet poster from that era was usually 27" wide.

And with this poster being all text (blue and red), along with no images, no director's name etc, I would wager a guess that this was some kind of locally produced re-release poster, with it sounding a bit like a broadside in appearance, almost.

Is there any information printed on the bottom border anywhere? If so, what does it say?
  • Thank you for your comments. I am still trying to figure out how to attach the image.
  • edited July 2016
    Thank you for your comments. I am still trying to figure out how to attach the image.
    You don't attach, you hotlink - use a free image hosting service like Photobucket to hotlink the image and then follow the above instructions
  • The poster really is 41" H x 28" W. There is nothing written in the borders. I have requested further assistance in posting photos. Thanks again for your (everyone's comments).

I am going to attempt to add photos, staring with one.

• edited July 2016
    Added photos

• edited July 2016
    Your above URL sent me to a 404 error (broken link-Page Not Found) image on Flickr. :s

The image link itself should end with .jpg

In the mean time, can you say whether there is any information printed on the bottom border or not?
  • edited July 2016
    Added the photos on behalf.

Pretty cool. I could not begin to date it.

A news-stand poster or but likely an advance (given the blank area at top).

• edited July 2016
    Nice looking poster, and it's a re-release poster (from both the title & the wording, "the year's smash hit..."), maybe this was a local poster made for a screening later in 1932 in some city or town. Scarface initially opened on April 9, 1932, so maybe this poster is for a re-run in the Fall of that same year? (Just a guess here, tho).

Unused as the blank area at the top has no hand written/filled in play dates or times.

There looks to be no information on the bottom border, indicating a printer, either.

A cool poster for sure.

But if someone didnt know better, from the way the title is presented, it certainly reads like the name of a sequel, since there is no movie called The Return of Scarface.
  • so maybe this poster is for a re-run in the Fall of that same year? 

Agree.
  • edited July 2016
    David said:
    so maybe this poster is for a re-run in the Fall of that same year? 

Agree.

I disagree due to George Raft's name not appearing on the original 1932 poster at all ( Bruce has it as R37 for some reason ) and here it is on the poster under discussion top billed with Paul Muni. In 1932 he wasn't a star or even well known and appeared in another 1932 film unbilled. In Scarface he only plays a very small role. I believe the return indicates a re-release in the period when George Raft became a star. The supporting cast names are also altered in order. Raft's first star billing was with Night After Night released in the U.S.A.30 October, 1932. There was a re-release in 1934 & 1941 and possibly 1937 so I think the poster was from one of those re-releases when George Raft was now a big star.
  • HONDO said:
    David said:
    so maybe this poster is for a re-run in the Fall of that same year? 

Agree.

I disagree due to George Raft's name not appearing on the original 1932 poster at all ( Bruce has it as R37 for some reason ) and here it is on the poster under discussion top billed with Paul Muni. In 1932 he wasn't a star or even well known and appeared in another 1932 film unbilled. In Scarface he only plays a very small role. I believe the return indicates a re-release in the period when George Raft became a star. The supporting case names are also altered in order. Raft's first star billing was with Night After Night released in the U.S.A.30 October, 1932. There was a re-release in 1934 & 1941 and possibly 1937 so I think the poster was from one of those re-releases when George Raft was now a big star.
    Makes sense.
  • edited July 2016
    The bold presence of Raft's name is key, as Hondo mentioned.

Perhaps making it a (locally made) late 1930s/early1940's re-release poster.

(And I'd still like to know if it's actually 28" wide? Or 27)
  • Hi All:

Thank you so much for your expert comments and information.

I measured SCARFACE again, and it is 41 x 28. Is that an unusual size? I will measure it yet again with another tape measure.

Interesting that George Raft's name does not appear on the original poster. TCM/Turner Classic Movies may be featuring Paul Muni movies since they've been doing a promo about his career.

The poster is from the archives of the Brick Store Museum in Kennebunk, Maine. It was one of two that they had so they put it in a raffle which I won. The collections manager said that it was from 1934. She did not now how the museum acquired it.

I initially thought that I would give it to a friend as a present since she is related to Boris Karloff. Then I got my tax bill, and thought that if the poster was actually worth something, I would sell it! This happened with a painting that I bought at a rummage sale for $.25 and found out that it was worth $350! I can't imagine SCARFACE being worth much since there are no images, and there are rips/tears. Any ideas? Should I decide to sell it - would be on eBay - I would appreciate everyone's permission to use your comments in the listing. Please advise.

There were several theaters in Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. Perhaps this poster was used at one of them with the theater name/dates on top, and the museum's 2 were left over unprinted. A re-release poster from 1934 is possible, but since it says, "THE YEAR'S SMASH HIT AGAINST CRIME" it would be more logical that it was re-released later in 1932 just locally (maybe for Christmas), perhaps after George Raft's "first star billing in Night After Night released in the U.S.A. 30 October, 1932" (per Hondo).

While Googling I found this interesting site about the movie. It shows a poster without George Raft, and Boris Karloff is called: Boris "Frankenstein" Karloff.

http://www.filmsite.org/scar.html

Again, thanks to everyone for your expertise. This has been an interesting and informative and fun journey.

• Not the same poster as yours, different posters different demand different price.

Don't book that world cruise just yet.
  • Thanks David!

Can I book a subway to Broadway! (:-) !

I knew it was not the same poster as mine. I think my poster ... as the phrase goes ... is worth a "buck two eighty!"

• David and all:

For amusement ... re my query ...

"WHY DOES IT SAY THIS NEXT TO MY POST? Mexican Lobby Card"  ... and your response ...

"Mexican Lobby Card is the lowest ranking a member can get on this forum - it is allocated automatically" ...

I signed up at ATT to ask a question ...

My ranking is ...

"Wrecking Ball" ...

If I have to emulate Miley Cyrus ... I will cancel!

• I think it has some cool factor which will make it collectible, I imagine it is one of just a few (if not the only one) of this poster, being from a re-release (year unknown) reduces the value/demand.

But there is still plenty who would like to have it in their collection.
  • Hi People!

Thank you all again for your expert info on my SCARFACE poster.

I am going to put it on eBay. I'd appreciate your letting me know how much to start it at, and what you think it might be worth. I have no grandiose expectations. If I collected SCARFACE posters, I would want an image. Unless anyone has an objection I will use the info from your postings stating that I got the info from the Vintage Movie Posters Forum. Please let me know. I will post the eBay link after I list it for your input of changes/additions/errors, etc. Thanx.

Have a wonderful weekend. It's hot and steamy here in Maine, but it's better than 20 below zero with ice and snow!

Oops! Forgot to measure the poster again with another tape measure. Will do.

All the best,

Star

• Hi All:

Thank you again so much for your expert comments and information. I appreciate it.

I measured SCARFACE yet again with another tape measure, and it is 41 x 28.

I am ready to list it on eBay. I have been looking on eBay and Googling around, and I just can't figure out what to start it at since I have no idea of its worth, and don't see anything similar. I'd appreciate your assistance with this. Due to no image, I don't have much hope in selling it, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks muchly,

Star

• Answer is simple, based all that you now know - what's the bottom number would you be happy to net (after costs such as packaging and fees), not what you want for it, what you'd be OK to get for it.

That's the number to start the bids at - if there is any interest then they will come.
  • David!

Thanks!

I did it - I listed it. If there are any bids, then I will have an idea of its value.

eBay item number: 191930113133

I would appreciate any corrections, additions, deletions, etc. from this knowledgeable group.

Thank you all for your input and comments. Appreciate it.

Regards,

Star

• Wow Poster People!

Seconds after I listed the poster, I get an email from an eBayer offering to pay $100! So, I can believe that it's worth at least that.

I never accept offers out of eBay. What I do for people is change the auction to Buy-It-Now when I agree to sell the item. Then the person can legitimately purchase it on eBay. I told this person that I want to let the auction run its course.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Star

• edited July 2016
    Wise decision.

Post a link to the poster