Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• Frog Dreaming.
    Didn't make it to the end.  Some things just don't date well.
    Maybe I was too sick for this one :)
  • edited September 2019
    Zombie films, can't say I'm a fan.
  • Matt said:
    Zombie films, can't say I'm a fan.
    Yah agree.  As its an aussie film thought I would  give it a try, but they just seem to be pointless shoot em up films.
    I don't understand the attraction at all, but there would be plenty out there who feel the same about the golden oldies I like.

Apparently it was made on a next to nothing budget over a weekend.  THAT is impressive for any film.
    It looked half descent, just wasn't a fan of the subject matter, violence, ridiculous story....I'll stop here.

• Baptise, Killing Eve ( series two ) and Deep Water are all  television series that kept me involved and intrigued.
  • Avengers End Game.

Sad...though I am sure a whole bunch of spin off films are in the works.

Really liked this series, the humour makes it.  DC could learn a few things there.

Fat Thor was so funny!

• Fisgerman's Friends ( 2019 ) & 1917 ( 2019 ). Viewed there two films at the cinema in Decemder 2019 anf January 2020. Both highly recommended.

• Uncut Gems
    I am no Adam Sandler fan.  Can't really think of anything he's done I liked.
    He was sensational in this one.  Great film and performance by him.
    Hihgly recommended.

• Gosh, the treatment of our first peoples here is shocking.  
    Hearing the story of their lives from the kids of the time is heartbreaking....
    The more I learn the more I understand why there is such resentment to this day...

• Parasite and JoJo Rabbit. Cinema of the very highest standard in filmmaking experienced here. Around Oscar results time each year is the best time to see quality movies at the cinema.

Meanwhile on television I am currently watching the latest series 9 of Death In Paradise. Love this show.
  • Recently saw Parasite too.  What a film!  Superb.  
    And speaking of telly...The Third Man was on this afternoon.  Need to get me that on DVD.
  • I saw both.... Loved JoJo Rabbit. Saw it in theater and at the house now... Loved it.  Much better undertones than Parasite...

Parasite was not that spectacular a film to warrant Best Picture. It was a gimmick political film about income inequality... Basing the award just on a theme was terrible... 1917 or Once upon a time were much better films... JoJo third...

The Academy has become a bitch to political agendas... Losing credibility every year.

Parasite was an average film with political undertones. Not worthy of the award...

• I haven't seen 1917 (no intention), nor Jojo (yet) so can't comment on those.
    I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but Once Upon a Time better than Parasite?  Yeah, nah.  
    I can't believe Pitt won everything for this role actually.

If I recall correctly you didn't think much of Shape of Water either, so I think its just a matter of different strokes for different folks.
  • I’m not sure I would say I didn’t like it. I thought it was a fun film. I just keep trying to figure out (perhaps similar to you and Pitt) why it was worthy of being called the best film of the year. Maybe I don’t understand what that award means or the criteria associated with it.  

• I am looking forward to seeing Greyhound later this year. Viewing the trailer though i would wish that they hadn't gone a little too far using CGI, and have had the film look a little more realistic.
  •  

I have just watched the first episode of Endevour series seven. Has to be the best police drama on television at the present time. Superbly crafted episode and I am now looking forward to viewing the remaining two episodes in this latest series.

• Bear Koala Hero recently screened on Foxtel's LifeStyle channel is an inspirational  49 minute Australian  documentary, featuring a  rescue dog who is trained to seek out injured and sick Koalas. The doco covers Bear and his team of human handlers during the aftermath of the horrific bushfires that took place in Australia in recent times.

Try and seek this one out and be guaranteed to shed a tear ot two. ****
  • So have decided to try and get through the mountain of movies I have accumulated to watch during this isolation period.

First up Alex & Eve 

Funny and enjoyable Australian film about the clash of cultures.  Nothing new or unexpected to be seen here, but found it enjoyable none the less.
    Anyone with the poster...you know where to find me! ;)

The Round Up:

As depressing as I expected it to be...Melanie Laurent was superb.
    I must admit this was not part of the holocaust stories I was familiar with.
    I am always saddened to remember just how truly awful we have been to each other.

One Red Blood:

An absolute icon and treasure of this country.
    It was interesting to learn more about the brilliant man from him.
    Eye opening to say the least...

Red Obsession:

WOW!  I mean I knew there was money in the wine market, but WOW!
    Prices paid were absolutely staggering to me!
    A very interesting and different take on clash or coming together of cultures/worlds.

Fire Over England:

Wonderful film with some great names.
    Flora Robson as the Queen was wonderful, but Vivien Leigh stuck out like a sore thumb.
    Not hard to see why she is considered a superb actress.  Beautiful and enchanting as ever.

I'm Alright Jack:

Absolutely hilarious!  Everyone in this was absolutely hilarious.  What a great way to end my mini movie marathon.
  • How could I forget!

Carol:

Rooney Mara makes this film  I mean wowee.
    Will certainly have to hunt more of her films.
    Cate wonderful as always, but I got the same "tortured soul" feeling from this as i did from Blue Jasmine.
  • WFH must be hard work....
  • That's just Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday arvo.
    Imagine what I could have gotten through if I didn't have to actually work, nor home school the two girls, nor do the house work etc.  Definitely very lucky to be in the position I am in.
  • Guess I'm lucky, the only hardest thing I did today was clean the gutters. Not the smartest thing to do considering how windy it is. Copped most of it in the face. 
  • Not in yet Matt?
  • Got it done before the heavy rain came.
  • I meant the new place?
  • edited March 2020
    Oh the new place. 

Fark me! The contractor carpark had 5 cars in it on Friday. 2 plumbers were working on my place, installing the pump for the in ground water tank. I don't think the virus is a fault, more likely the contractors haven't been paid. There were cleaners working on my row of Townhouses too.
    We're close yet so far away.....
  • edited March 2020
    Far out man.  That is so annoying!  Can't imagine it would get any faster in the current climate.
    Hopefully it is done and dusted this year?

Slow weekend for me with the movies, only managed to get through 1 saturday night.

Hell or High Water:

This was most enjoyable.  Great performances all round, and loved the ending.
    Bridges was wonderful, tones of Tommy Lee in No Country...

And then Cool Hand Luke was on the telly, and I couldn't resist the blonde haired blue eyed wonder.
    Such a wonderful movie, he is sublime in this one.

• Newman....classic. 

A favorite. 
  • Such a great movie.  Pretty close to perfect isn't it!

Ok, a few more knocked off the list this weekend.

The Imitation Game
    What a wonderful film and great performance.
    Dare say not an area I knew a great deal about so I did find it very interesting.

Next Up Lion:

Tears were shed, I admit.  Haven't had a cry in a film for a while.
    What a story (I did know a fair bit about him before watching it) but wonderfully told and beautiful performances.  Highly recommend this one.

Being Evel:

All I knew about him before this was how bad he was at being a daredevil.
    But boy did I learn what a complete d$%k he turned into as a human being.
    Seems you really do get what is coming to you.

More aussie films to tick off the list:

Jasper Jones

It was ok, pretty much as expected here.  Not one I would revisit.

Beneath Clouds
    I could have sworn I had seen this one before, and yep I had.
    Still don't get it.  Went nowhere and found both of them so friggen annoying.
    Disappointment all around.
  • Captain Newman MD

Tony Curtis was a delight in this one.
    Such a touching movie, with lots of humour to boot.
    Most enjoyable!

Loving Vincent
    Have been wanting to catch this for ages, and it was on the telly tonight so why not.
    Looks wonderful...just wonderful!
    Worth a watch just for the style.
    An interesting and touching look at the last days of his life.

• Both Lion and Captain Newman, M.D.( viewed many moons ago ) were excellent viewing. Jasper Jones was o.k. as you say but it was overall disappinting

Ves you have certainly been viewing a lot of films recently. Many genres covered but no superheroes?