Skip to content

GWTW re-issue date

I notice John is selling a GWTW onhe-sheet. It is listed as a 1940s re-issue. I'm not disputing that, I don't have any idea, but as I have one I just wonder if anyone knows the exact year? Hondo? I've tried to link my photo but it won't work for me.

Comments

• For a few minutes it was listed for $400, then boom.

• It is definitely 1948 or after that when the Not Suitable For Children  classification replaced the Not Suitable For General Exhibition rating. A key to help me pinpoint a year is the name of the printer, but I am unable to read the printer's details on the poster. John hopefully may assist with these details.

• edited February 2017

Or Rick...as he has one as he said...see below, but interesting enough, his printer info seems to be on the other side???

• The printer's information being on either side is very interesting. I cannot read the printer's details on Rick's poster either so Rick would you oblige supplying these details ?
  • edited February 2017
    I have never seen one of these before and initially thought it to be 40s. I have done a bit more research on it and now believe it to be 1950s based on the fact that the printer is W.F.Schey. I have adjusted the price accordingly. BTW It was never listed at $400.00. As Bruce, often says it's always best to email me if you ever see any errors or omissions. I am always happy to make necessary revisions if needed.
  • Wonder if Rick's is by the same printer?
  • W.F.Schey is the printer but mine is on the right lower side. John I wasn't saying you had an error, I just assumed you didn't know the exact year and thought someone on here might be able to help. I had no idea.
  • My feeling is that it must be 50s but not sure. Strange about the printers details being on different sides.
  • Rick said:
    W.F.Schey is the printer but mine is on the right lower side. John I wasn't saying you had an error, I just assumed you didn't know the exact year and thought someone on here might be able to help. I had no idea.

Queue Lawrence to graciously explain why the printer details would be on differing sides...I'm just curious.
  • Still looking into this query. I would love Rick to post a clearer ( non-reflective ) image Of his GWTW one sheet clearly showing the printer's details.
  • HONDO said:
     I would love Rick to post a clearer ( non-reflective ) image Of his GWTW one sheet clearly showing the printer's details.
    Good luck with that...the posting of an image I mean :rofl:
  • Me and photos and this board don't like each other. It's in a protective folder but I'll see if i can get a close up
  • If it is a 1950s release wouldn't there likely be a daybill counterpart?  I ask as I do not recall ever seeing a daybill listed as a 1950s release - only 1940s, 60s, 70s etc.
  • I will go out on a limb here and state that one of the two GWTW Australian one sheets appears to have been printed for the official 1955 Australian re-release. The printer credit fits the bill, but the main reason I believe it is 1955 as some newspaper advertising from 1955 is almost the same as the one sheet. There was also another Australian re-release that happened circa 1962 and W. F. Schey printing for MGM was still in play. I am thinking that Schey recycled the earlier design and that is why the printer's credit happened to have been printed ( unintentionally ) on the other side of the poster this time. Did a bit of checking for one sheet posters printed by Schey around the 1955 and 1962 period and it appear the vast majority had the Schey name, printed in different forms, appearing on the right hand side of the poster, but there were exceptions such as Hit The Deck from 1955 where the printer's name appeared on the left. I had been hoping to have found 1955 would have had all posters printer's details uniformly printed on one side and 1962 all credits on the other, but alas life doesn't work like that. This means we really don't know for sure, if my theory is correct regarding the two posters, which poster is the original 1955 version and which one is the 1962 version. I will also state. before someone would perhaps have raised this,  that there is a possibility that both versions were printed at different times for the 1955 release. If this is true I am wondering then, where is the 1962 Australian one sheet version image? None of the preceding proves the release dates of the two posters but only my thoughts on possibilities regarding the release dates, based on information gathered and years of research knowledge. Over to you to make up your own mind. 

• Thanks Lawrence
  • Lawrence, can you show the "newspaper advertising from 1955 is almost the same as the one sheet"?

I ask because this poster is almost a twin to the U.S. 1961 re-release poster, and nothing like the U.S. 1954 re-release poster (see both below).

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Oowww...I love a good mystery!
  • How about this one. Is it absolutely positively  40s release?

• All though the Australian newspaper design is similar to the Australian one sheet images appearing on the poster, and I should have described it ''similar'' instead of ''almost the same'',  looking at the 1954 U.S. RR one sheet I will now declare the Australian one sheet poster would be from the Australian 1961RR. The Gable & Leigh image is the same but the action scene on the bottom solves the problem. This scene has a soldier whipping a horse he is riding that is pulling the carriage carrying Gable & Leigh that is the same on the 1955 Australian newspaper advertisement that is on the U.S.1954 one sheet. As Bruce previously mentioned the U.S. 1961 one sheet poster is almost identical to the Australian one sheet and looking at the bottom scene the soldier whipping the horse is situated in a different section ( the centre not the left hand side ) on the poster and the two stars who should be sitting in the carriage don't appear to be in the picture and Vivien Leigh running also appears on both in the same area, which would indeed prove the Australian one sheet was printed for the 1962 Australian RR. As I am having a fewproblems at the present time so I will forward the newspaper advertisement to Ves and ask her would she mind downloading the image onto this thread.
  • Thanks to Ves for downloading the 1955 Australian newspaper advertisement for me.
  • edited February 2017
    It certainly appears to be 1961 re release. I have amended the description accordingly!

Next question is why are the printers details on different sides on the two one sheets that are displayed in this thread.
  • John said:
    It certainly appears to be 1961 re release. I have amended the description accordingly!

Next question is why are the printers details on different sides on the two one sheets that are displayed in this thread.

Was one printed for the original Australian 1962 re-release and the other one a second followup printing ? The printing side of film posters is something that I have not looked into to any great degree, so please forgive my question.If this was the case wouldn't the printer use the same plate which would have had the printer's name in the same position?
  • Look, I am pretty blind at the best times...but the printer detail on both look different to me.  John's looks longer.

Need a better picture of Rick's or at least exact printer line from both.  Would that help?

• Look, I am pretty blind at the best times...but the printer detail on both look different to me.  John's looks longer.

Need a better picture of Rick's or at least exact printer line from both.  Would that help?

Would be great and you never know what may turn up.
  • John said:
    How about this one. Is it absolutely positively  40s release?

There was a U.S. 1947 re-release carrying the above tagline.  A re-release of sorts also happened in Auatralia in 1947. Australian newspaper advertising concentrated on tag lines such as ''At popular prices'' with no mention of ''Everybody wants to see''. In January 1950 there was an official nation wide re-release in Australia with the ''Everybody wants to see'' tagline appearing in various newspaper advertising along with a' 'Silver Anniversary masterpiece'' mention. IMDB incorrectly mentions the Australian re-release as being 2 / 6 / 1950, but countless advertisements date if from starting in  January. I am convinced the above poster is a trimmed Australian 1950 daybill, possibly missing a'' Silver Anniversary'' reference along with the other poster credits.

• Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Thanks Lawrence and Bruce. The reason I ask is because I also have that daybill and it is also trimmed in the same way. I wonder why they cut off the bottom section on these posters and if anyone has ever seen a complete version. 
  • John said:
    Thanks Lawrence and Bruce. The reason I ask is because I also have that daybill and it is also trimmed in the same way. I wonder why they cut off the bottom section on these posters and if anyone has ever seen a complete version. 

It seems strange that two posters were trimmed. I am wondering if MGM had planned to re-release GWTW in 1949, but was delayed until January 1950 and it was decided that the 1949 '' A Metro Goldwyn Mayer Silver Anniversary Picture'' reference had now finished and  decided instead of just removing the wording by covering it up decided to trim the poster? Just a thought and the only reason I can think of. It is possible an original printed 13 x 30 version doesn't exist ? A terrible thought.
  • Never had or seen one, but the two copies of the trimmed, are they used?