Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Snipe and tape removal

13»

Comments

• CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Sven - did you find the isopropyl worked better than Un-Du and that's why you're switching?

As a side note has anyone found a product that will remove paper tape?  Heptane (like Un-Du) works pretty great on cello tape but I haven't been able to find anything that will release paper tape :(   I am trying to avoid full submersion bath in water...
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• SvenSven Member Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Sure i have a pic to upload Mark! Will do soon, promise. 

Hi Chris in this tape removal process i noticed the isopropyl had slighly less paper skimming than the undo , and it peeled faster with the same amount.

I think before i make the switch i will keep both on hand and continue to compare the two. 

Wish i had a paper taped poster to try on.

Type your comment

Here tis the tape removal

The tape itself was cello tape which stained through to the front, so I am assuming the tape had been on for many years? Who knows how many.
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

-Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• jbrmrsjbrmrs Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Hello! I recently got a daybill for The Devils (1971) which has a huge R18 sticker slapped on the top, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience removing these stickers specifically? Likewise, would the methods covered in this thread (isopropyl) be suitable for attempting removal? 

I haven't done anything like this before and I only got the daybill to display in my room, so I'm not too concerned with it being perfect, but I am a fan of the text beneath this sticker so would very much like to uncover it.

This was the only daybill sticker-removal discussion I could find online, so any help would be hugely appreciated!
  • DarioDario Member, Restoration Yoda Posts: 164 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Looks like water would be the best option. Soak soak soak the snipe, front back!

Cheers,
    dario.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited May 5

For anyone that may be interested this is the exact style of Australian daybill of The Devils that had the censorship snipe attached to when used in New Zealand. 
    Lawrence
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Our NZ friends used a lot of different methods for adding their censorship details on to posters. This looks like one that they glued. If it is, anything such as UnDu won't work, I'm afraid. Sometimes that glue dries up enough that the sticker comes off without too much convincing, other times it will probably need to be soaked (as Dario said). Never tried soaking a poster myself - that's pretty high end restoration work, isn't it?
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,502 admin

I've heard that most snipes are water based glues, so I would think that spraying/soaking only the portion of the poster that has the snipe will loosen it up if the glue is water based. place a soaked paper towel underneath, and on top, and keep it soaked for 10 mins? take a sharp knife and gently, ever so carefully try to lift a corner off. If it's water based it should slide right off. If not, try for a 5 more mins.

If unsuccessful, then I'd try UnDu, or in the states we use Bestine. Good luck!

• jbrmrsjbrmrs Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thank you all so much, this is really helpful! I might try giving it a gentle soak in that case.

Is there any risk of damaging or warping the poster itself through a front-and-back soak of the sniped portion, and any precautions or post-soak / post-removal actions I should take to prevent that?

I'll report back with how it goes, success or no!
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,502 admin
    The paper is likely to emerge wrinkled after soaking to remove the snipe. typically a poster is bathed and backed after removal of snipes. You can try placing some blotter paper or paper towels if nothing else to dry the corner and place books on top of wet area to flatten as it dries. Replacing the paper towels or blotter paper to ensure moisture is removed. It could 2-3-4 days but it will help the paper dry flatter that it would otherwise.