Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hondo's This And That

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

Creature From The Black Lagoon ( 1954 ). Original 1954 Australian Hobart Tasmania newspaper advertisement, Australian daybill and one sheet.

Anyone care to rate the best and most effective artwork from above?

My ratings are -

1) Advertisement ( great creature image and Julia Adams actually looks like Julia Adams ).
    2) One sheet ( I like the speargun image ).
    3) daybill.
    Lawrence
    edited November 2019

Stone ( 1974 ). Australian Daybill designed and printed for the original Australian release. I have never sighted any other Australiam posters, with the exception of lobby card material, from the 1974 first release - have you?

Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I always thought that was from a later 80s release?

There is a black & white NZ daybill but it literally looks like a bad photocopy of the Aussie version!
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

What about this one?

I don't believe this poster is first release. More ionformation soon.
    Lawrence
    I always thought that was from a later 80s release?

There is a black & white NZ daybill but it literally looks like a bad photocopy of the Aussie version!
    Stone was originally banned in New Zealand in 1974, but finally passed by the Appeals Board and  given a rare R20 classification in 1975.

Yes they adapted the original Australian daybill for New Zealand. They removed the MAPS printing credit, lightened the Australian R certificate image and covered over the BEF Australian film distriobutor credit which had appeared under the word widescreen.. 

Lawrence

BEF 1974 Press sheet page featuring slightly different image press ads, and a Canberra ACT newspaper advertisement  that used one of them in 1974 .
    Lawrence

‘’The film originally ran c. 124-126 minutes but after the five year agreement with GUO/BEF expired, director Harbutt trimmed the film to c. 98 minutes for sales and further cinema screenings, and this is the version which turns up on DVD (with the 4% differential between tape and film perhaps explaining the time difference). There is reputedly a stand-off between Harbutt and the NFSA regarding a restoration of the full original cut’’ – Oz Movies.

The following two daybills and Australian one sheet are not credited on the posters as being BEF releases. In fact no distributor is shown.

The question asked here then is where do these posters fit into the Australian theatrical release picture?

After the five year theatrical cinema release contract with BEF came to an end in 1979 the original producers Hedon Productions submitted the film again to the Australian censorship department and the film was passed for public exhibition  on 35mm once more on November 1 1979. 

I believe the film sometime after Novemver 1979 was perhaps self distributed by Hedon Productions before being handed over to Eric Dare / The House Of Dare  to be released theatricially under their Garland Productions label. I am thinking the three posters pictured above were commissioned  to be printed by Hedon productions themselves. The only other sighting of the lone bIker image appears on the Hedon Productions VHS slick. The video slick doesn't list a distributor on it, with only Hedon productions printed on the VHS tape label. Apart from a government record showing Roadshow distributing the film on tape, no record of this version found located, so when was the following tape distributed? 

Different artwork on the Roadshow Home Video slick passed by the Australian censor May 20 1985.

Using the original BEF artwork the Garland Productions most likely very early 1980's release daybill, along with some Garland Productions ( Eric Dare ) advertising.

Finally in 1995 Premium Films released a 21st anniversary re-release print. 

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    At work so only had a quick read.  Proper read later, but many thanks!  Comments to follow
    Can't make out the press sheet.  Do we have a better picture?
    edited November 2019
  • RickRick Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:

Creature From The Black Lagoon ( 1954 ). Original 1954 Australian Hobart Tasmania newspaper advertisement, Australian daybill and one sheet.

Anyone care to rate the best and most effective artwork from above?

My ratings are -

1) Advertisement ( great creature image and Julia Adams actually looks like Julia Adams ).
    2) One sheet ( I like the speargun image ).
    3) daybill.

1. Ad
    2. Daybill
    3 O/S
    edited December 2019
                                                                                                              TradeMe.co.nz )
    Norman... Is That You? ( 1976 ). Rare Australian daybill originating from New Zealand. Stamped in two places with '' This has been stolen from HOLLYWOOD CINEMA AVONDALE. Phone 833393. a reward is offered for its return". Avondale is a suburb in Auckland N.Z. The cinema appears to be stiill operating to this day.

Odd to say the least. Were all the posters used by the cinema stamped this way just in case they were to be stolen. Interesting to know the history here?
    Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:
    Norman... Is That You? ( 1976 ). Rare Australian daybill originating from New Zealand. Stamped in two places with '' This has been stolen from HOLLYWOOD CINEMA AVONDALE. Phone 833393. a reward is offered for its return". Avondale is a suburb in Auckland N.Z. The cinema appears to be stiill operating to this day.

Odd to say the least. Were all the posters used by the cinema stamped this way just in case they were to be stolen. Interesting to know the history here?
    Well, as it happens, I do know a bit of the history there. The Hollywood was known for many years as "Jan Grefstad's Hollywood Cinema" built in 1915 and proudly boasting a Wurlitzer organ. Jan was a real character and was also proprietor of another cinema in Auckland that screened Sexploitation films. I met Jan back in the 90s and he had a mountain of posters. He may have gone through a stage where he stamped some of them with a reward being offered but I don't think he did that very often. The phone number on the stamp is late 70s and it changed to another number in later years.
    He held Poster Sales occasionally but didn't sell much at all. I started going to see Jan in the late 90s and he would give me a couple of hours to go through as much from the piles of posters as I could. It was a bit like searching for a needle in a haystack but there were some gems there at great prices. Jan would often drive me back to my hotel and I heard plenty of stories about his involvement in the Cinema. He was working on a book about the history of NZ cinema at the time and I think the manuscript ended up in one of the museums in NZ. 
    Jan passed away suddenly in 2002 at the age of 61. He was one of the great characters of NZ Cinema industry.
    John

There were numerous Australian film posters printed for How The West Was Won ( 1962 ), but were they all printed for the first release? More information soon on daybills, one sheets and 3 sheets of How The West Was Won that are all credited as being printed for the Australian first release, but is this the case?
    Lawrence

This online displayed poster image was used in advertising a 45th anniversary 35mm screening of Stone on November 28, 2019 at The Astor Theatre in Melbourne. The R rating doesn't appear on the image as it previously did on the original earlier film posters using this design that were most likely printed around 1980.

Lawrence
    What is going on here?  I don't believe I have ever seen an Aussie poster adapted for another country - excluding NZ of course (let alone what appears to be the Netherlands?)  Weird...

Sven said:
    Total madness Chris!  

HONDO said:
    What is going on here?  I don't believe I have ever seen an Aussie poster adapted for another country - excluding NZ of course (let alone what appears to be the Netherlands?)  Weird...

Well spotted Chris.

Fury Of The Pagans  is the title printed on the poster under the covering snipe.

The poster as  Chris suggested was adapted in The Netherlands with the censorship stamp appearing in Dutch reading Centrale Commissie voor de Filmkauring. The English translation is Central Commission For Film Inspection, also known as CCF.

Apart from New Zealand nothing known from me of this practice happening in any other countries either. Very odd indeed, and for The Netherlands of all places for this to happen makes it even more far out.

I noticed that The Netherlands censorship stamp also appears on Postman's Knock ( 1962 ) Australian posters for the daybill, one sheet and 3 sheet printed for this title. No Dutch title change here but certainly proof Australian posters were used in The Netherlands, at least in the 1960s.Fury Of The Pagans was released in Australia in 1962 by Columbia Pictures  and Postman's Knock in 1963 by MGM.

Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Nice find Lawrence.  Such an odd & random mystery here!
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Psycho ( 1960 / 1971 Australian re-release daybill. Something a little out of the ordinary here. Any idea?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lawrence
    HONDO said:

Psycho ( 1960 / 1971 Australian re-release daybill. Something a little out of the ordinary here. Any idea?
    Paramount sold all rights for Psycho to Universal in 1968. Universal re-released Psycho in the U.S.A. in 1969. A re-release U.S. insert poster that was printed and issued by Universal follows below for this re-release.. 

The Australian re-release daybill poster image for the 1971 Australian re-release follows. The U.S. re-release wording was not used on this  duotone poster. There is also the exact same designed daybill poster available in a blue duotone.

What makes this Universal daybill poster very unusual is that a Paramount logo ( current for 1971 ) also is incorectly printed on the poster. It's not as though the poster artist was copying the Paramount logo from the original release material as the Paramount logo used then was a completely different style altogether. The Universal logo used is incomplete also, as displayed below.

Logo used.

Logo that should have been used.

Another odd image that appears on the daybill poster is of Anthony Perkins pictured with a clenched fist. It almost looks like he may have been holding a weapon that had been removed.I am positive though that this wasn't the case. 

The following image of Anthony Perkins is the one that was normally used on Psycho posters.

Lawrence
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 653 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    The RR pressbook cover shows that we do have another case of the Aussie censors deleting knives from posters!

Pancho said:
    The RR pressbook cover shows that we do have another case of the Aussie censors deleting knives from posters!

I was right then with my original thinging that there had been a weapon / knife in his hand. Ruled it out after looking at only limited material from re-release material, which all was minus this scene. I should have looked further into U.S.A. re-release material and researched more thoroughly into the matter as I normally would do.

Good wotk Pancho.
    Lawrence
    edited December 2019

Mr.Smith Goes To Washington ( 1939 ) original release 15'' x 40'' daybill.

A second printing daybill 13'' x 30'' in size. Listed by HA as being ''Pre War Australian daybill"'.  Due to the poster size and the Columbia logo that appears on the poster it would most likely to have been printed sometime during the period 1942 and 1945. There is no reason to believe that the film was re-released in Australia. The only U.S.A. re-release occured in 1949 and this poster is certainly not from  that period  of time, It would certainly appear that a second printing was organised by Columbia Pictures, most likely due to the huge popularity of the film at the box office in Australia. 

Lawrence
    edited January 3

The following are my thoughts on the various Australian film posters that were printed for the release of How The West Was Won ( 1962 ) in Australia.

How The West Was Won was released in Cinerama cinemas commencing December 26 1962 in Sydney and January 1 1963 in  Melbourne. The film showed exclusively  in Sydney and Melbourne until 1964.

The 36th Academy Awards were held for best 1963 films in April13 1964. Although the film was released in the USA in December 1962 it ended up being included in the 1963 films up for judgment. The film  ended up winning three academy awards.

Up to the time How the West Was Won was given a wider general release in Australia following the Academy Awards announcement I don't believe any Australian posters had been printed, Possibly U.S. posters were used for the roadshow releases.

Not long after the awards the film, now in general release in 35mm opened in Canberra ACT  July 10 and Queanbeyan NSW July 24 1964. Newspaper records limited for me to provide other dates and venues.

The following Australian one sheet and 3 sheet carrying the ''Winner of ( 3 ) Academy Awards '' notation, one has to believe were printed  for the post 1964 AA Australian general release. I haven't been able to locate a daybill with a mention of the AA wins.

The following posters certainly appear to be from the late 1960s.

Australian one sheet and daybill. These two posters I believe are second printings and were printed sometime between 1967 and November 1971.  My reasoning here is that the ''For general exhibition'' rating changed to ''G'' in November 1971. The MGM logo seen on the one sheet in that form was only introduced in Australia 1967 and was used in the 1970s also. The daybill doesn't have the logo appearing on it, but seeing the design is the same as the one sheet it certainly appears the two posters that were printed by different printers would have been from the same time. You will notice also that the AA mention is absent as this information was now old news.

This now leaves only the following mystery poster.

A rare Australian daybill printed in this case for usage in New Zealand. The question here is when was this poster printed? I have seen another image of what may be another copy of this design. Was it printed for the post 1964 AA general release? Seeing no other daybill that would qualify for this period has been found it has to be a possibility, but why no AA mention printed on it then? Printed by Robert Burton who also printed the one sheet which does include the AA info. 

Another thought is when did the other capitol cities of Australia release the film in 35mm? Was it 1964 of perhaps earlier? The plain MGM Logo for some reason has me thinking possibly earlier and this could be the daybill printed around that period, if there were other capitol cities that released the film antyime before the AA  announcement in 1964. If this did happen then this could explain why this daybill is so rare,  and then  perhaps why so very few posters were originally printed.

Any thoughts on this last daybill version or anything else regarding any of this information I have written about How The West Was Won?  I would like to hear any comments if anyone has any.
    Lawrence
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 653 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    A little outside my wheelhouse, but does the MGM logo help at all? t seems different to the other posters.

A rare Australian daybill printed in this case for usage in New Zealand. The question here is when was this poster printed? I have seen another image of what may be another copy of this design. Was it printed for the post 1964 AA general release? Seeing no other daybill that would qualify for this period has been found it has to be a possibility, but why no AA mention printed on it then? Printed by Robert Burton who also printed the one sheet which does include the AA info. 

Another thought is when did the other capitol cities of Australia release the film in 35mm? Was it 1964 of perhaps earlier? The plain MGM Logo for some reason has me thinking possibly earlier and this could be the daybill printed around that period, if there were other capitol cities that released the film antyime before the AA  announcement in 1964. If this did happen then this could explain why this daybill is so rare,  and then  perhaps why so very few posters were originally printed.

Any thoughts on this last daybill version or anything else regarding any of this information I have written about How The West Was Won?  I would like to hear any comments if anyone has any.
    Have you noticed something odd about this daybill?
    John

Pancho said:
    A little outside my wheelhouse, but does the MGM logo help at all? t seems different to the other posters.

This MGM logo in this form is the only presentation of it that I have ever seen on any daybill posters from the 1960s or any other decades as well.

If anything it hinders rather than helps in establishing when the poster was printed.

Lawrence
    John said:

Except for the MGM logo that I just mentioned in my reply to Pancho's question, and the huge out of proportion oar - nothing else stands out to me at all as being odd.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    John said:

Except for the MGM logo that I just mentioned in my reply to Pancho's question, and the huge out of proportion oar - nothing else stands out to me at all as being odd.
    I think they made an error with this daybill. They left out the names of the directors, producer, writer and composer. They fixed that up in the other daybill. 
    John

The "mystery" daybill is rare and some were clearly printed for NZ without censor details but it was also printed for the Australian release with Australian censorship.

John