Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Rare Look At Australian Film Poster Formats Available In 1935 For The Film Shanghai

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

Nice enlarged images taken from an Australian 1935 press sheet from Bruce's Archives. One can only imagine what the original posters, particularly the Richards Studio daybill, would have looked like. 
Lawrence

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

A glimpse at another film's available Australian poster collection, this time from 1933. From Everyone's September 20, 1933 issue the available 24-sheet, 6 sheet, one sheet, three sheet and daybill designs printed for The Good Companions ( 1933 ) Australian film release.

from the same issue what about this then. One doesn't like to think about all the huge amount of  advertising maerial that would have been printed over the years, and that the vast majority of it no longer exists. 

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    How great!  I love it.  Thanks for sharing and do share any others you come across in your travels!
    theartofmovieposters said:
    How great!  I love it.  Thanks for sharing and do share any others you come across in your travels!
    Appreciate that you liked it. If I do find any other material as comprehensive as Shanghai and The Good Companiond are, I will certainly display it here, but this material is very difficult to locate in such detail.

Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Great stuff, Lawrence!

Is there an online archive of EVERY issue of "Everyone's" or just some select issues?

I have a massive collection of similar U.S. magazines, and if I ever get time I will start adding cool ads to my site.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Bruce said:
    Great stuff, Lawrence!

Is there an online archive of EVERY issue of "Everyone's" or just some select issues?

I have a massive collection of similar U.S. magazines, and if I ever get time I will start adding cool ads to my site.

It appears every issue totaling 916 issues is available to access. The period that Everyone's was published was between 10 March 1920 through to 20 October 1937, later becoming The Film Weekly that existed until the very early 1970s.  Use https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-522690001 to access Everyones issues.

Thanks Bruce for your appreciation. Your comment regarding thinking of publishing U.S. advertisements from the past, if you ever find time to get it off the ground, certainly would be marvelous. 

Lawrence

I just remembered that I had this image of an advertisement publised in Everyone's March 7 1923 issue, advertising a selection of larger film posters of Cecil C. De Mille's Manslaugher ( 1922 ).

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited June 15

Diamond Jim ( 1935 ) Australian daybill and one sheet.

( State Libraty Of Western Australia ) ( BA - 3118 / 75 ).

Four 24-sheet Diamond Jim posters displayed on billboards for screenings in Perth, Western Australia  in 1935.

Rare to have this combinations of film poster styles from 1935 being available, one would have to think.

Interestingly the daybill relegated Jean Arthur's billing to third, whereas the one sheet, 24 sheet and all overseas advertising at the time had Jean Arthur's name billed second.
    Lawrence