Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

1950's First Release Australian Daybills Not Designed By Richardson Studio For Paramount Pictures

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
 O.S.image comparison.

There were a number of films released by Paramount Pictures in Australia in the 1950's that  I am convinced that there were no daybill posters designed by the Richardson Studio for theses films. I believe these displayed five feature films daybill posters would have been designed and printed in duotone by an uncredited Australian printer for the film's first release. Note that these posters don't have A Paramount Picture wording on them only A Paramount Release or Released By Paramount Pictures appearing on them.The details for the five films are as follows.

Immediate Disaster ( a.k.a. Stranger From Venus ) Rich & Rich Ltd. USA television first release in 1954. No Paramount Pictures connection known.
Godzilla King Of The Monsters ( 1956 ). Toho Company. Embassy Pictures / Transworld Releasing Corp in the U.S.A. Released in Italy & Argentina by Paramount.  
Gilbert Harding Speaking Of Murder ( 1953 )  Danziger Productions Ltd. / Paramount British Pictures. A compilation of 3 stories from a U.K. television series called  Calling Scotland Yard. 
Alaska Patrol ( 1949 ) Burwood Pictures Corp. / Film Classics. No Paramount connection known.
S.O.S. Submarine ( 1941 Italy  then edited & dubbed and released in the U.S.. in 1948 by Screen Guild Productions. No Paramount connection known.

There were five other films that may also fall into this category of first release duotone daybills, but until an image turns up we won't know for sure. The titles are -

The Ninth Commandment ( a.k.a. Sansualita ) ( USA Barefoot Savage ) Ponti- De Laurentiis Cinematografica / Paramount Films Of Italy - I.F.E.Releasing Corporation ( U.S.A.) Italian film with subtitles. 
Oriental Evil ( Breakston - Stahl Productions / Classic Pictures. No Paramount connection known .
Ten Dollar Bettor ( 1951 ) Jack Broder Productions / Realart Pictures Inc. No Paramount connection known.
Breakdown ( 1952 ) Pegasus Productions / Realart Pictures Inc. No Paramount connection known.
Gambler And The Lady ( 1952 )  Hammer Films / Lippert Films. Exclusive Films ( U.K. )  & Lippert Pictures ( U.S.A. ). No Paramount connection known.

Newspaper advertisement placed during the film's run in Newcastle N.S.W. in September 1953.

The reason the just mentioned five titles may be either duotone or Richardson Studio / W.E.Smith full colour daybills is because of the following three titles were also independently released films overseas, but were released in Australia by Paramount Films and were produced by Richardson Studio / W.E. Smith. All three have A Paramount Release and not A Paramount Picture printed on them. A point to make is that no duotone versions of any of these three titles have been sighted.   

Crashout ( 1955 ) Filmakers Releasing Organisation ( States rights system ). No Paramount connection known.
Mad At The World  ( 1955 ) Filmakers Releasing Organisation. No Paramount connection known.
The Big Chase ( 1954 ) Lippert Pictiures, Inc. No Paramount connection known.

Lawrence

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited September 2018

Strand Theatre Newcastle N.S.W.                                                                          Australia Cinema Melbourne Vic.

Strand Theatre Newcastle N..S,W.

Some more information regarding this very little known film The Ninth Commandment. To have a foreign language film with English subtitles released in a major Newcastle cinema in 1953 was most unusual. This film would have been mainly screened at the big city art house cinemas, but being from Paramount and the Newcastle Strand Theatre at that time mainly screened Paramount product probably had something to do with it.
    Lawrence

Additional backup with the Godzilla one sheet now surfacing, and thus adding to my belief, that Paramount Pictures as previously mentioned didn't produce any Richardson Studio designed full colour daybill versions for a number of films in the 1950's, and in the case of the one sheets a decent full colour version.

Lawrence

Every Day's A Holiday ( original title L'oro Di Napoli ) ( USA title The Gold Of Naples ). ( 1954 )

Three Crooked Men ( 1959 )

Triple Blackmail ( 1955 )

Three Cornered Fate ( 1955 ) 
    \

Lady In The Fog ( 1952 ) ( Released in the U.S.A. as Scotland Yard Inspector ).

Images presented sourced from vavious sources including bruce, John, Trove and IMDB, 

Some more obscure film titles for films released in Australia in the 1950's by Paramount Pictures Australia, that possibly may not have had any full colour daybills designed by the Richardson Studios for, with only cheaply  produced duotone versions designed instead.

The titles are -

Every Day's A Holiday ( L'oro Di Naples original Italian title ) ( 1954 ). Paramount Films Of Italy. Released in Australia in an edited version.

Three Crooked Men ( 1959 ). Danziger Productions, Paramount British Pictures. There is a possibility that this title may have been designed by Richardson Studio. I base this on the fact that another Danziger Productions / Paramount British  Pictures film titled Links Of Justice from 1958 had a Richardson Studio / W.E. Smith colour daybill design produced for its Australian release. 

Triple Blackmail ( 1955 ). A compilation film of 3 episodes of the U.K. television series The Vise. Danziger Productions. Paramount British Pictures.

Three Cornered Fate ( 1955 ). A compilation film of 3 television episodes of the U.K. television series The Vise. Danziger Productions. Paramount British Pictures.

Lady In The Fog ( 1952 ). Hammer Film Productions, Exclusive Films. Released in the U.S.A. under the title Scotland Yard Inspector by Lippert Pictures.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HONDO said:

Additional backup with the Godzilla one sheet now surfacing, and thus adding to my belief, that Paramount Pictures as previously mentioned didn't produce any Richardson Studio designed full colour daybill versions for a number of films in the 1950's, and in the case of the one sheets a decent full colour version.

Stumbled across this Australian newspaper advertisement placed for a  one night only screening in Queanbetan N.S.W. in 1963. The artwork is certainly more impressive than that was produced for the Paramount daybill and the one sheet appearing above.

Some information on this cute Australian duotone daybill. It would certainly appear that  Paramount Pictures Australia only had a short term release agreement in Australia, with this being from 1957 to circa 1964. By 1965 and through to at least 1969 Godzilla King Of The Monsters was screened in Australia on double bills with other Regent Films ( RFD ) releases. This would certainly seem to me that the above daybill would have been produced for a circa 1965 Regent Films re-release.

I'm sure I smile everytime I look at this image.
    Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:

Some information on this cute Australian duotone daybill. It would certainly appear that  Paramount Pictures Australia only had a short term release agreement in Australia, with this being from 1957 to circa 1964. By 1965 and through to at least 1969 Godzilla King Of The Monsters was screened in Australia on double bills with other Regent Films ( RFD ) releases. This would certainly seem to me that the above daybill would have been produced for a circa 1965 Regent Films re-release.

I'm sure I smile everytime I look at this image.
    This is my all-time personal favorite daybill! Anyone have one for sale?
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Hi Lawrence, here is Three Crooked Men. 

HONDO said:

Three Crooked Men ( 1959 )

Some more obscure film titles for films released in Australia in the 1950's by Paramount Pictures Australia, that possibly may not have had any full colour daybills designed by the Richardson Studios for, with only cheaply  produced duotone versions designed instead.

Three Crooked Men ( 1959 ). Danziger Productions, Paramount British Pictures. There is a possibility that this title may have been designed by Richardson Studio. I base this on the fact that another Danziger Productions / Paramount British  Pictures film titled Links Of Justice from 1958 had a Richardson Studio / W.E. Smith colour daybill design produced for its Australian release. 

It would appear then  that Links Of Justice and Three Crooked Men daybills were allocated to Richardson studio / W.E. Smith due to the Paramount British pictures  connection. On saying this an earlier Danziger Production / Paramount British released  film  only warrented a  non Richardson cheaply designed duotone daybill produced by an unknown printer. Links Of Justice along with Three Crooked Men were produced as full length theatrical film releases whereas Gilbert Harding Speaking Of Murder was a theatrical film release edited from three episodes from a cheaply made television series As I had previously mentioned ''Gilbert Harding Speaking Of Murder ( 1953 )  Danziger Productions Ltd. / Paramount British Pictures. A compilation of 3 stories from a U.K. television series called  Calling Scotland Yard.'' 

This leads me to believe even more now that the previously mentioned missing daybill titles for ''Triple Blackmail ( 1955 ), a compilation film of 3 episodes of the U.K. television series The Vise. Danziger Productions. Paramount British Pictures.'' along with  ''Three Cornered Fate ( 1955 ). A compilation film of 3 television episodes of the U.K. television series The Vise. Danziger Productions. Paramount British Pictures.'' would have warrented only a cheaply produced non Richardson daybill.

A big thank you to Sven for sharing the rare Three Crooked Men daybill image. 

I'm sure this will be daybill title Chris to want add to his want list. 

Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I have that wonderfully awful Godzilla daybill Bruce, but sadly only one copy.
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Rick said:
    I have that wonderfully awful Godzilla daybill Bruce, but sadly only one copy.
    I understand!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html