Skip to content

Aussie 22 x 28s?

I know Hondo recently posted some details about a US half sheet (22 x 28) being used for an Aussie release of 'The Vulture' and while I was looking through some of my AUS press sheets the other night I noted this odd entry on the list of accessories for 'Motel Hell'.

Seems like some films did use 22 x 28s here in Australia? I know that Carrie had a unique style 'half sheet' that measured 22 x 28 but in a portrait orientation (as opposed to the US landscape):

1b093 CARRIE Aust special poster 1977 Stephen King Spacek before and after her bloodbath at the prom  7k474 CARRIE 12sh 76 Stephen King Sissy Spacek before and after her bloodbath at the prom

I wonder what the 'Motel Hell' 22 x 28 looked like?

Comments

• I've never seen an Aussie 22x28 for Motel Hell. maybe it was a half-sheet import, though i guess it could also be like the Carrie.
  • I've auctioned 48,497 Australian posters, and never ONE half-sheet!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

•  
    Bruce said:
    I've auctioned 48,497 Australian posters, and never ONE half sheet!
    My following explanation is I beieve why there were no Australian half sheets sold by Bruce, as none were printed here and all half sheetsl were imported from the U.S.A.

My thoughts are that the Motel Hell and the Carrie half sheets used here were U. S.A. printed. An example below of a U.S. Carrie half sheet where it was used outside of the U.S with foreign Quebec Canada censorship information attached.  

The avaibility of U.S.A. half sheets to have been part of posters in Australia seems to have been long term thing. Apart from The Vulture half sheet previously mentioned by me and again by Pancho above, there were also the following Come Blow Your Horn and Jailhouse Rock half sheets with Australian censorship snipes attached.  We know for certain that at various times Paramount. MGM and United Artists made them available to Australian exhibitors. If any other Australian distributors also followed suit it is uncertain at this point of time of this happening, as no proof appears available. 

The half sheet  usage here I believe would have been more prevelant than one would imagine. My thinking for this is for two reasons. The availabliity of this size wasn't always advertised as being available on Australian press sheets, and I believe that censorship stickers weren't always applied to the posters when used here, so we really don't know the extent of the usage in Australia. We do know  though that  the U.S. half sheets were used in Australia at least between the late 1950s through to the early 1980's by Paramount, MGM and United Artists.

I haven't really looked into Australian Press sheets to any great extent, but I just located this United Artists Love and Death ( 1975 ) Australia 1976 press sheet. You will notice the 22 x 28  cards quotation, thus suggesting to me that the cards were surely imported as it would have been far too costlly to have printed this style using card stock in Australia for such very limited demand one has to think, when limited numbers could be imported in from the states for very little outlay. 

Hopefully everyone will agree with me that there weren't any 22 x 28 half sheets printed in Australia and that most likely only limited amounts of this style were imported into Australia by an unknown number of Australian film distributors. 
  • The Carrie portrait 22x28 was printed by MAPS - surely it’s not the only example of that style of poster?
  • Pancho said:
    The Carrie portrait 22x28 was printed by MAPS - surely it’s not the only example of that style of poster?
    It is possible to see an image of the Australian MAPS Carrie half sheet then? 
  • It's above in this thread, portrait format not landscape
  • edited February 2020
    That image is from Bruce and isn't from MAPS as far as I can see.The image is a U.S. half sheet.

• This one.  Is Aussie.  R rating and maps in the corner...had a couple myself.
  • edited February 2020

This one.  Is Aussie.  R rating and maps in the corner...had a couple myself.
    O. k. then. My next question is, are the MAPS posters for Carrie printed on card stock as advertised on the Australian press sheet for Love And Death, or  are they on the usual paper allocated to the Australian daybills and one sheets? 
  • And I still don't know what the heck it is, so would love to know!

• I would be very interested in knowing if the Motel Hell poster size advertised as being 22 x 28's on the Australian press sheet was printed on paper also.

• Annie Hall ( 1977 ) United Artists Australian press sheet advertising 22 x 28 cards. Ir would be great to get to the bottom of this mystery of this poster sizes  involvement in Australian distribution.

• Network ( 1976 ) United Artists Australian press sheet again advertising 22 x 28 cards. Another title to add to the mysrery.

• An original U.S.A. half sheet of Girl Happy ( 1965 ) that was displayed in New Zealand, proving this size poster travelled overseas. Image courtesy of Wil. 
  • Good evening folks!

Just to muddy the waters some more, here's the Aussie press sheet for Carrie...listing BOTH a half sheet AND a 22 x 28! 
  • Oh wow!  Now that's weird!
  • So the poster is the half sheet we reckon?
  • Yeah...I would think so. That means that we're back to having no evidence of an Australian 22 x 28.

• I have checked into this query over the last week and have come up with the rollowing information.

The only poster that I found printed in the 22 x 28 size in Australia is Carrie and this poster printed by M.A.P.S. was printed on paper and not card. Why this poster, seeing that there was an imported poster as well, was printed would de interesting to find out why, as the two posters would appear to have been the exact same design.

All the known 22 x 28 size posters found or advertised as being on card appear to have been imported from the U.S.A. as follows.

Jailhouse Rock and Never So Few from MGM from the 1950s.

Come Blow Your Horn, The Vulture, Harlow and The Carpetbaggers from Paramount in the 1960s.

I discovered that starting in Australia, numerous titles released from 1969 ( could be earlier though ) and extending to 1980 films released by United Artists. The 22 x 28 size poster was discontinued in the early 1980's in the U.S.A., which would have stopped the usage in Australia around that time.

The followinfg information from Bruce I thought would'd go astray here.

''Half-sheets measure 22" x 28" and are printed on heavy card stock, the same as inserts, and similar to that of lobby cards. They were sometimes folded twice immediately after printing, although sometimes they were left unfolded, but most collectors don't consider folding in this way a defect (learn more about the folding of inserts and half-sheets). Most movies have two different styles of half-sheets. The "A" style (sometimes these have a "T/A" in the corner of the poster) which is almost always the exact same image as the title lobby card. The "B" style is almost always an image that appears on no other size of movie poster for that movie! Note that these were almost always referred to as "22x28 displays" in pressbooks, and NEVER as "half-sheets". That term is one that was coined in movie poster exchanges and was carried over into the hobby, because half-sheets ARE roughly half the size of one-sheets. But if you are a purist, they ARE "22x28 displays.''
  • Another one I located:

United Artists seem to be a common company popping up...
  •  A list of all the United Artists Australian press sheets that I have located advertising the 22 x 28 availability.

Previously mentioned titles being Motel Hell, Love And Death, Annie Hall, Network, Carrie and now Hammer.

There is also Billy Two Hats, The Thomas Crown Affair, Zorro, a.k.a. Cassius Clay, Mr. Hercules Against Karare, Midnight Cowboy and Live And Let Die.

• This is fascinating...  Good work Lawrence!
  • Charlie said:
    This is fascinating...  Good work Lawrence!
    Appreciate you letting me know that.

Interestingly this Paramount pressbook for The Carpetbaggers ( 1964 ), along with the pressbook for another Paramount release Harlow ( 1965 ), advertise the 22 x 28s as being 22 x 28s stills for some reason or another. 
  • Are we to assume that most cinemas didn't take up the 22 x 28 option for advertising?
  • Pancho said:
    Are we to assume that most cinemas didn't take up the 22 x 28 option for advertising?
    I would think only the larger cinemas, particuarly in the big cities would have had the space to display them. Some of these venues may not have ordered them anyway, but the larger cinemas would be the best bet to where they ended up, but most likely were ordered sparingly

Most Australian cinemas used either only one style of poster, or varying combinations of one sheets, daybills, lobby cards and stills in their cinema displays, leaving little space to display the more costly card paper posters. 

•  ( True Grit, 1969 ) ( Once Upon A Time In The West, 1968 ) ( Love With The Proper Stranger, 1963 )

Three more examples of where U.S.A. 22 x 28 cards were advertised as being available in Australia.

With the only examples I have found so far, it would appear that United Artists, Paramount and MGM are the only known distributors who imported 22 x 28s for usage in Australia. Their details of distribution follows.

Paramount released  in the 1960s ( 7 )

United Artists in 1969 ( 1 ) , 1970s ( 11 ), very early 1980s ( 1  )

MGM in the 1950s ( 2 ). Interestingly there is one example of a 1960s Girl Happy card being used in New Zealand.  
  • edited January 2022
    Some additional thoughts have come to mind. We will never know the number of imported 22 x 28 cards imported into Australia due to two reasons.

Firstly the number of Australian press sheets that detail this information  are scarce in number and very  difficult to find.

Secondly it would appear that  the majority of the 22 x 28 cards would have met the same fate of the commonly used U.S.A. 11 x 14 lobby cards when they were displayed in Australia, with very few having any censorship rating snipes attached to them. 

Did Columbia, Universal, Warner Brothers and 20th Century Fox ever import any of their U.S A. 22 x 28 cards into Australian for use here, one has to wonder?

Any thoughts or images would be apprecuiated.

• HONDO said:

With the only examples I have found so far, it would appear that United Artists, Paramount and MGM are the only known distributors who imported 22 x 28s for usage in Australia. Their details of distribution follows.

Paramount released  in the 1960s ( 7 )

United Artists in 1969 ( 1 ) , 1970s ( 11 ), very early 1980s ( 1  )

MGM in the 1950s ( 2 ). Interestingly there is one example of a 1960s Girl Happy card being used in New Zealand.  
    After just obtaining access to numerous Australian press sheets from the 1930s to the 1980s, I have discovered another two Paramount examples of U.S.A. 22 x 28s distributed in Australia in the 1960s. As well another four examples of United Artists 22 x 28s were confirmed as being distributed here, with one being in very late1968 and three in the 1970s.

New updated totals of now known imported 22 x 28s into Australia follow below.

Paramouunt released in the 1960s a total of  9 titles.

United Artists released in the 1960s have a total of 17 titles, consistring of 2 ( 1 in 1968 and 1 in 1969 ), 14 in the 1970s and 1 in circa 1980. 

MGM released in the 1950s, known so far titles is 2, plus one known example from the 1960s of a card being used in New Zealand.

After also examinng numerous cards originating from Columbia, Universal, Warner Brothers and 20th Century Fox press sheets from the same period of time, no examples at all were found of any 22 x 28 advertised card distribution taking place in Australia.. 

The Vulture ( 1966 ) original 22 x 28 card  previously mentioned by me on this thread, showing added Australian censorship.