Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Need help with Australian 1-sheets/daybills of Elvis' first 4 movies for upcoming book

BobBob Member Posts: 18 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
Hello everybody,

I'm in the finishing stages of a book about the promotional material that was produced around the world for Elvis Presley's first 4 movies.
The book, which will be published later this year by FTD, contains circa 2200 images of posters, lobby cards, standees, pressbooks, stills, heralds, etc. on 490 pages.
The Australian posters and daybills will of course also be presented in the book and I was hoping to get some help with completing the Aussie entries.

What I have of the first 4 films, is the following:
Love Me Tender: 1-sheet, daybill
Loving You: daybill (only in low resolution)
Jailhouse Rock: 1-sheet, daybill (first issue), daybill (60's re-issue, in 3 color variations), glass slide
King Creole: 1-sheet (only in low resolution), daybill (first issue in two variations, with and without age rating)

If anybody is able and willing to share missing posters (and other material not mentioned above), I would appreciate that very much!
Also upgrades of the items I only have in low resolution are very welcome. As are vintage newspaper advertisements for the screenings of these movies in Australia.
And if any of the experts here is able to narrow the dates of the re-runs of these movies in the 60's/70's down to an exact month and year, that would be fantastic as well.

It goes without saying that any helpful person will be credited in the book. Thanks!
Bob

Comments

• RickRick Member Posts: 890 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Hey Bob, as Elvis once sang, I can help. I have those Australian posters so could try for some higher resolution pics. Message me if you want
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

Hi Bob and good luck with your project. Chris is certainly the right person to assist you with daybill images. I don't know if Chris has this rare image or not, so in case he doesn't,  I thought I would display it here.

The image I have had for a while, but unfortunately where the image was originally sourced from is unknown to me now. Perhaps someone else knows who originally was responsible for displaying the image on Google.
    Lawrence
  • BobBob Member Posts: 18 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Rick said:
    Hey Bob, as Elvis once sang, I can help. I have those Australian posters so could try for some higher resolution pics. Message me if you want
    Thanks a lot!
    I think I'm familiar with you from the Elvis forums, and over the years I've seen quite a few of the photos of some of your (Elvis) movie posters.
    It would be very cool if you could help me with a high quality image of your Loving You daybill. 
    Will send you a pm!
    HONDO said:

Hi Bob and good luck with your project. Chris is certainly the right person to assist you with daybill images. I don't know if Chris has this rare image or not, so in case he doesn't,  I thought I would display it here.

The image I have had for a while, but unfortunately where the image was originally sourced from is unknown to me now. Perhaps someone else knows who originally was responsible for displaying the image on Google.
    Super, many thanks!
    I never saw this variation of the LY daybill before.
    Hopefully a higher resolution version will become available. But if not, I would love to use your image in the book.
    The better the quality of an image is, the larger it can be presented in the book. 

Btw, somewhere on the forum, you posted a request about a publicity still that includes Elvis on the set of Hot Spell.
    There are actually two stills from this movie that include Elvis, and I have one of those, which I can send you in high resolution.
    Bob said:
    HONDO said:

Super, many thanks!
    I never saw this variation of the LY daybill before.
    Hopefully a higher resolution version will become available. But if not, I would love to use your image in the book.
    The better the quality of an image is, the larger it can be presented in the book. 

Btw, somewhere on the forum, you posted a request about a publicity still that includes Elvis on the set of Hot Spell.
    There are actually two stills from this movie that include Elvis, and I have one of those, which I can send you in high resolution.
    You are very welcome to use the image, but as I previously mentioned I have no idea who originally posted the image on Google. I am thinking that this poster version was printed in the 1960s, but I really don't have proof of that. Whether is was printed for an official re-release, or it is a second printing from the first release,  or even that possibly it was printed for 16mm usage  ( a longshot ) is unknown.

Regarding the other Elvis ''Hot spell'' still, l thank you for sending it to me. The original thread was called '' Where Is Elvis On The Set Of Hot Spell Still?. If you feel so inclined you could add yout image to this thread so all others that may be interested could see as well.
    Lawrence
    I want to express my thanks (once again) to Hondo and Rick for their help. A special word of thanks needs to go out to Rick for sending me photos of his own daybills in extremely high quality (much, much higher than I could have hoped for!).
    Thank you both!
    Bob said:
    I want to express my thanks (once again) to Hondo and Rick for their help. A special word of thanks needs to go out to Rick for sending me photos of his own daybills in extremely high quality (much, much higher than I could have hoped for!).
    Thank you both!
    Happy to have been able to assist you  in some small way. 

Please keep us informed about the Elvis book's progress that you are working on, and any images you might like to share would be most appreciated. 

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Good work!  Let us know when the book is done!  My shelves can always take another wonderful book about movie posters :)
    hey Bob, did you photos of the one-sheets as well?
    sadly, minus Loving you if someone happens to have one for sale
    Rick said:
    hey Bob, did you photos of the one-sheets as well?
    No, sorry Rick, I did not receive the 1-sheets.
    Just also double-checked the spam folder, but there's nothing in there from you.

I do have high resolution images of the Love Me Tender and Jailhouse Rock 1-sheets.

King Creole I only have in low resolution, so if you can help with an upgrade of this one, that would be very much appreciated!

The Australian 1-sheet of Loving You I have never even seen a copy or image of. I reckon this one is (like the other 3 movies) similar in design to the US 1-sheet?