Skip to content

Need help with Australian 1-sheets/daybills of Elvis' first 4 movies for upcoming book

Hello everybody,

I'm in the finishing stages of a book about the promotional material that was produced around the world for Elvis Presley's first 4 movies.
The book, which will be published later this year by FTD, contains circa 2200 images of posters, lobby cards, standees, pressbooks, stills, heralds, etc. on 490 pages.
The Australian posters and daybills will of course also be presented in the book and I was hoping to get some help with completing the Aussie entries.

What I have of the first 4 films, is the following:
Love Me Tender: 1-sheet, daybill
Loving You: daybill (only in low resolution)
Jailhouse Rock: 1-sheet, daybill (first issue), daybill (60's re-issue, in 3 color variations), glass slide
King Creole: 1-sheet (only in low resolution), daybill (first issue in two variations, with and without age rating)

If anybody is able and willing to share missing posters (and other material not mentioned above), I would appreciate that very much!
Also upgrades of the items I only have in low resolution are very welcome. As are vintage newspaper advertisements for the screenings of these movies in Australia.
And if any of the experts here is able to narrow the dates of the re-runs of these movies in the 60's/70's down to an exact month and year, that would be fantastic as well.

It goes without saying that any helpful person will be credited in the book. Thanks!
Bob

Comments

• Hey Bob, as Elvis once sang, I can help. I have those Australian posters so could try for some higher resolution pics. Message me if you want

• Hi Bob and good luck with your project. Chris is certainly the right person to assist you with daybill images. I don't know if Chris has this rare image or not, so in case he doesn't,  I thought I would display it here.

The image I have had for a while, but unfortunately where the image was originally sourced from is unknown to me now. Perhaps someone else knows who originally was responsible for displaying the image on Google.
  • Rick said:
    Hey Bob, as Elvis once sang, I can help. I have those Australian posters so could try for some higher resolution pics. Message me if you want
    Thanks a lot!
    I think I'm familiar with you from the Elvis forums, and over the years I've seen quite a few of the photos of some of your (Elvis) movie posters.
    It would be very cool if you could help me with a high quality image of your Loving You daybill. 
    Will send you a pm!
  • HONDO said:

Hi Bob and good luck with your project. Chris is certainly the right person to assist you with daybill images. I don't know if Chris has this rare image or not, so in case he doesn't,  I thought I would display it here.

The image I have had for a while, but unfortunately where the image was originally sourced from is unknown to me now. Perhaps someone else knows who originally was responsible for displaying the image on Google.
    Super, many thanks!
    I never saw this variation of the LY daybill before.
    Hopefully a higher resolution version will become available. But if not, I would love to use your image in the book.
    The better the quality of an image is, the larger it can be presented in the book. 

Btw, somewhere on the forum, you posted a request about a publicity still that includes Elvis on the set of Hot Spell.
    There are actually two stills from this movie that include Elvis, and I have one of those, which I can send you in high resolution.
  • Bob said:
    HONDO said:

Hi Bob and good luck with your project. Chris is certainly the right person to assist you with daybill images. I don't know if Chris has this rare image or not, so in case he doesn't,  I thought I would display it here.

Super, many thanks!
    I never saw this variation of the LY daybill before.
    Hopefully a higher resolution version will become available. But if not, I would love to use your image in the book.
    The better the quality of an image is, the larger it can be presented in the book. 

Btw, somewhere on the forum, you posted a request about a publicity still that includes Elvis on the set of Hot Spell.
    There are actually two stills from this movie that include Elvis, and I have one of those, which I can send you in high resolution.
    You are very welcome to use the image, but as I previously mentioned I have no idea who originally posted the image on Google. I am thinking that this poster version was printed in the 1960s, but I really don't have proof of that. Whether is was printed for an official re-release, or it is a second printing from the first release,  or even that possibly it was printed for 16mm usage  ( a longshot ) is unknown.

Regarding the other Elvis ''Hot spell'' still, l thank you for sending it to me. The original thread was called '' Where Is Elvis On The Set Of Hot Spell Still?. If you feel so inclined you could add yout image to this thread so all others that may be interested could see as well.
  • I want to express my thanks (once again) to Hondo and Rick for their help. A special word of thanks needs to go out to Rick for sending me photos of his own daybills in extremely high quality (much, much higher than I could have hoped for!).
    Thank you both!
  • Bob said:
    I want to express my thanks (once again) to Hondo and Rick for their help. A special word of thanks needs to go out to Rick for sending me photos of his own daybills in extremely high quality (much, much higher than I could have hoped for!).
    Thank you both!
    Happy to have been able to assist you  in some small way. 

Please keep us informed about the Elvis book's progress that you are working on, and any images you might like to share would be most appreciated. 

• Good work!  Let us know when the book is done!  My shelves can always take another wonderful book about movie posters :)
  • hey Bob, did you photos of the one-sheets as well?
  • sadly, minus Loving you if someone happens to have one for sale
  • Rick said:
    hey Bob, did you photos of the one-sheets as well?
    No, sorry Rick, I did not receive the 1-sheets.
    Just also double-checked the spam folder, but there's nothing in there from you.

I do have high resolution images of the Love Me Tender and Jailhouse Rock 1-sheets.

King Creole I only have in low resolution, so if you can help with an upgrade of this one, that would be very much appreciated!

The Australian 1-sheet of Loving You I have never even seen a copy or image of. I reckon this one is (like the other 3 movies) similar in design to the US 1-sheet?
  • Hello everybody,

Just a short note to let you know that the book that I mentioned here in March 2020, has finally been published a few weeks ago.
    It was published by Elvis' own company, Sony, under its banner of their Elvis collectors label, Follow That Dream (FTD).

The book includes 448 pages, with 2485 images of movie promotional material of Elvis' first 4 movies (1956-1958) from all over the world. It is of course in hardback, the pages are on glossy paper, and it measures 25 x 30 cm. Two free CDs with (previously released) soundtrack recordings from the 50's, are also part of the package.

The 4 Australian sections in the book (an example of which is presented below), could not have been compiled without the great help of Rick, so my sincere thanks to him!

• Great work!.  Where does one buy a copy?
  • Great work!.  Where does one buy a copy?
    Thanks!

Overhere in Europe, all official Presley products are for sale at a whole bunch of dealers and clubs, and also certain dealers in the USA sell these (mainly European) products. However, to my knowledge Australian buyers usually have to import FTD material from Europe by ordering it directly from one of those dealers as there are no Australian sellers. But maybe, and hopefully, I'm wrong.

The book is not just quite expensive, it is also very heavy. Last month I sent a copy to a friend in the USA, and this cost me a whopping €38.50 on shipping alone!

I just did a quick online check, and even though every seller pays exactly the same price for the book, customer prices vary between as 'low'  as €69 and as high as €120. So it might be worth your time to find the best option for having it shipped to your country.
  • Thanks very much.  I will do some searching
  • Congratulations on completing the book and having it published. I actually was only thinking about the book's progress a week or so ago. Nice time to have it published with all the publicity surrounding the new Baz Luhrmann Elvis movie that is about to be released world wide...
  • Thanks Bob for letting us know that it's available and happy my images helped. Now, if i could only justify paying the postage costs to get a copy to Australia!
  • HONDO said:
    Congratulations on completing the book and having it published. I actually was only thinking about the book's progress a week or so ago. Nice time to have it published with all the publicity surrounding the new Baz Luhrmann Elvis movie that is about to be released world wide...
    Thank you Hondo!
    I'm looking forward very much to the movie, not so much as an Elvis fan, but mainly because I absolutely love Luhrmann's (over the top) unique style.
  • I did a bit of searching myself for buyers in Australia. It's really incredible how differently this book (and all other FTD books as well) is priced at all the dealers, and I wasn't even able to find two dealers who have it for he same price! Not to mention that shipping costs are also handled very, very differently. As I mentioned earlier, in Europe, the cheapest seller has it for around € 69 while the most expensive dealer sells it for € 120, which, to me, is absolutelty outrageous. I asked the publisher about this, and he guaranteed me that each and every seller (including those in the USA) pays exactly the same for the book, and there aren't even discounts for dealers who buy more copies.

Anyway, the cheapest I was able to find, including shipping to Australia, is Elvis Corner in Holland.
    This shop's website isn't easy to navigate, but I took a screenshot of this book in the shopping cart which shows the total price including shipping, € 95,90.

People who are interested, should type "celluloid" in the search bar in the top left corner, and then add the item to their shopping cart, after which the shipping options will appear.

• Charlie said:
    Thank you Charlie.

According to that website, the book is priced U$ 135 (which is € 128), to which postage should be added. But I wasn't able to find out how high postage is on that website, neither do I have any knowledge of what it costs to send a book from the US to Australia. I do know, however, that the book is very heavy, so I guess that postage costs will reflect that.

Personally, I have no experience at all with Shop Elvis in the USA, but I've been familiar with Elvis Corner in Holland for decades and I visited this shop (which is not just an online shop but a physical shop as well) only a few weeks ago. The owner and his wife are really nice people. But of course it's up to you where you order your books.

I would appreciate it very much if you could let me know what your thoughts on the book are when you've received it. Thank you!
  • edited June 2022
    I am in the US; It was $153 total… We are an international forum but since Hondo is our most dedicated member, folks get confused. You aren’t the first! 

I’m am a fan of Elvis for sure and am excited to see some of the European posters. Have you managed to visit Graceland and the whole Memphis scene?

Now I just need to figure a way to get your autograph to stick in the front few pages…