Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

12" x 19" posters need identification

dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 25 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
I've had these four posters since the 90s and have no idea what era they're from (re-release obviously) or where they were intended to be displayed. The Y classification on two of them indicates they were for New Zealand but apart from that I have no information about them. Can anyone help?

The each measure 12" x 19" and curiously none of them have the studio name or logo on them.

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    The Y classification indicates our friends over the waters in NZ
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    After conferring with our friend across the waters Wil, reckon 60s RR posters from New Zealand.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    The Y classification indicates our friends over the waters in NZ
    After conferring with our friend across the waters Wil, reckon 60s RR posters from New Zealand.
    The two posters stamped with the Y certificate censorship classification  were certainly stamped for distribution in New Zealand. I have a feeling that they may have been printed in Australia though.

Many years ago I sighted this style of poster in this size of Warner Brothers films for sale in an Antique shop in Katoomba. I had a conversation at the time with the stall holder, which is a little hazy now, about this size poster. My recolection is that he thought these posters were printed in the 1950s and had something associated to the films being sold to Australian television.

I have seen this size and style of Warner Brothers posters advertised over the years on eBay and Google, but not for some time. I cannot currently locate any examples on the web to check though. 

I was thinking that are John or Bruce able to shed any light on the origins of these posters? 

Lawrence
    Here are a few different ones from emovie:

Here are a few different ones from emovie:

These three New zealand posters are 14'' x 19'' or 13 1/2'' x 18 1/2'' in size.

The four Warner Brothers posters under review are all described as being  in a smaller 12'' x 19'' size. If this size description is accurate, and I am sure it is, this surely makes them different printings from the New Zealand printed posters.
    Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 25 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    I just double checked the sizes and they are indeed 14" x 19" apart from the Robin Hood which is slightly narrower but doesn't appear trimmed.
    edited May 3
    Sorry I should have been more specific.
    Above are just examples of these types of posters from NZ.
    I find their sizing very inconsistent...not suggesting in any way they are all from the same printing or era.
    edited May 3
    On emovieposter.com., looking at Bruce's section on New zealand posters I found the following sizes.

20 1/2 x 16 1/2 
    19 1 / 2 x 22
    13 1 / 2 x 19 1 / 2
    14 x 19
    15 1 / 2 x 22 1 / 2 
    then I gave it away, so there were possibly other variations in sizes there as well.

As Ves said their poster sizing very inconsistent.

These odd size poster sizes are in addition to N.Z. printed daybills around the size of the Australian 13 x 30 daybill posters and also some N.Z. printed one sheets.
    Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 25 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Sheesh! Lots of variation, pretty confident in saying they're 60s though, thanks everyone for the quick identification. They've been bugging me for years. I thought I'd looked through Bruce's results but must have missed the Robin Hood.