Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New to the Group

ErikMatsonErikMatson Member Posts: 12 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
Hi, my name is Erik and I just joined. I am a huge James Bond fan. I have a collection of James Bond items I have collected over time to include some posters. I am looking for help deciphering what my posters are specifically my From Russia with Love poster. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks! 
Erik

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Hi There,

Welcome!
    It looks like a One Sheet from the US.
    What are the dimensions? 27 x 41 inches?
  • ErikMatsonErikMatson Member Posts: 12 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    It's 27" x 41" and it is linen backed. 
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,835 admin
    edited June 29
    What would you like deciphered?

The NSS number on the bottom right indicates it is the 39th film submitted for 1964 for example.

That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    I guess what I am wondering is does it look to be legitimate? After purchasing the poster I stumbled across some other sites and saw comments about reproductions and such. One thing I noticed on my poster on the bottom it doesn't have 'B Sheet' next to the 64-167. I guess I am confused. 
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,835 admin
    Looks like the were printed with no "Sheet B", a light "Sheet B" and a heavy "Sheet B"... But they all have the same NSS.  The darker heavier "Sheet B" has a much more pronounced dot matrix.  

I think you are ok. Who did you buy it from?
    I purchased it off eBay thru a vendor fdavidn and feedback of 100% 6,885 transactions. I did quite a bit of looking and such. 
    This is all new to me and I really appreciate the information you are sharing and taking the time out to help! 
    I am super excited about this poster as I am a big James Bond fan and From Russia with Love is my favorite in the Bond series. 
    The poster seemed genuine for what I paid for it and the weathering/age to it and it being linen backed and all. I mean people that want to make fake items will go to great lengths and make them so nothing is fool proof. 
    Thank you again! 
    Erik
    @Bruce may have some insight on the different printings. 
    OK thank you! Do I just click on his name and shoot him a message? 
    Nah.. He should see this at some point. He is pretty busy and most likely wouldn't respond. I don't think you should worry too much.  Has someone told you it is fake or something? What is making you worry.

BTW if you want to make sure what you buy is original Bruce's place:  www.emovieposter.com is a great place for beginners that need a safe space.  He has a major auction going right now...
    OK sounds good. No I'm not worried. Just curious. To me it looks legit and all and with what you have said as well make me feel good about it. No one has told me that it is fake or not. Just me looking on-line and wondering. LOL! 
    A buddy of mine has helped me with some poster knowledge (he has an extensive collection himself) and also helped me find a company that I got a frame for it. 
    He led me to that website and wow!!! It's amazing! I just registered on the site as well. 
    Thanks for the help and info again! BTW here is my poster up on the wall... 

Here is my other wall of James Bond items. The posters are both 27x41. The Skyfall one is double sided and all the autographs are certified thru JSA and/or Beckett. 
    Nice!
    How long have you been collecting Bond?
    Well 'collecting', off and on for the past 10 years. But I've been a fan of Bond since I first saw Live and Let Die back in 1982. Been hooked ever since. All the items in the pictures I posted I've picked up over the last 4 months. Damn the quarantine LOL! 
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited June 30
    The From Russia With Love is fine. As with other movies that were insanely popular on their first release, the one-sheets were printed more than once, in difference locations. One likely is the VERY first one, but no one knows which, and all the slight variations are valued equally.

I have to make one slight correction to someone Charlie said, in his otherwise fine information. He wrote:

"The NSS number on the bottom right indicates it is the 39th film submitted for 1964 for example."

I used to think that too, and Charlie may have even gotten that idea from me, and if so, I apologize to him!

Some people have made the huge mistake of thinking the NSS number is like a "limited edition" number, especially when the second number is higher than the first. So if they see "52/89" for example, they think it means it is the 52nd out of 89 made, and this is not at all the case, since EVERY example of that poster would have 52/89 on it.

But back to what Charlie said. I used to say that "64/39" meant it was the 39th film submitted for 1964. But over 30 years of auctioning I have kept track of the NSS numbers (and litho numbers) for every poster I auctioned, and I discovered that the above was not true.

At the start of each year, NSS assigned each studio a block of numbers for the coming year, based on how many films they had scheduled for the year. And each studio WOULD use those numbers in order. But if say, MGM got a low set of numbers, and say United Artists got a high set of numbers, then every United Artist release that year would have a higher number than any MGM release, regardless of release date.

Not a giant deal, but I wanted to correct it!

And welcome to the forum, Erik!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Learn something everyday!  Didn't realize studios had number blocks. Great info...
    Hi Bruce! Wow, thank you for the information! That is very informative! You learn something new every day. As I mentioned above this is all new to me and I appreciate all the help and knowledge. I was going into this purchase somewhat blind but thought I had enough info to pull the trigger. I am over the top happy that you feel this poster is good!!!! It is my favorite Bond movie and I just love the look of it on my wall! I keep staring at it every day! I am hopeful of saving up to acquire some more Bond posters down the road. 
    And thank you for welcoming me in to this group! Very excited! And thank you Charlie as well! 
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,470 admin
    Welcome, Erik! Thanks for sharing some of your collection. I've no Bond paper so this thread is nice! 
    Hi and thank you for you all accepting me to this group! I've ways been fascinated with movie posters but I never got around to purchasing any original ones until the last 5-10 years. I only have a couple. I do love seeing all the pictures of other people's posters! 
    I am SUPER excited about this recent purchase of the From Russia with Love poster I got! I can't stop looking at it! LOL! I hope to acquire some more James Bond posters down the road. 
    It will wear off and then you will want the quad... “Slippery slope this hobby is” - Yoda
    LOL! Charlie! You are right I'm sure. 
  • rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member, The Framer Posts: 633 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Great walls of posters and photos! Well done, Erik! Welcome to the group!