Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

1950s Day bill poster

winton8winton8 Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
I'm new to the world of the history of vintage posters. Being a graphic designer I have always admired how amazing they are. I received these from a friend and was hoping to get some more info on them. I have done a little research on them but have had trouble locating two of them Operation pacific and Masterson of Kansas. Masterson is my favourite, the red, the image and typography is amazing. Pity a mouse has got to it. If anyone can shed some light that would be amazing. 

Answers

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited September 17

Welcome aboard.

I am a little unclear in exactly knowing as to what information you are seeking. If it is details on the individual film titles themselves the websites imdb.com and emovieposter.com will be able to assist you.

They are all Australian daybill posters produced in the 1950s, designed and printed by either W.E.Smith or F. Cunninghame, who were major Australian printers of film posters in the 1950s. The size of Australian daybills printed the 1950s was 13'' X 30''.

They are all nice posters with Masterson of Kansas, although being not the most collectable of the four, is certainly the rarest. I have sighted images of the other three titles, but never a daybill image of Masterson Of Kansas,

Lawrence
  • winton8winton8 Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    edited September 17
    Nice to meet you Hondo. Thanks for the response and the information. I'm intrigued now has anyone else seen the Masterson of Kansas Australian day bill before?. Im not selling them but Im also curious if they are worth anything. Cheers
  • RickRick Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    They are all new to my eyes, and i would be keen to bu them if you want to sell. I would imagine the Abbott and Costello would be the most valuable, despite its poor condition. The John Wayne is one of his lesser titles but still he's a big name and i don't have it! The other two wouldn't be worth much, but they are nice
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    winton8 said:
    Nice to meet you Hondo. Thanks for the response and the information. I'm intrigued now has anyone else seen the Masterson of Kansas Australian day bill before?. Im not selling them but Im also curious if they are worth anything. Cheers

If you check out the Abbott And Costello Meet the Mummy daybill prices realised on emovieposter.com you will see what four auction sales of this poster brought. It is a shame that the least valuable poster Masterson Of Kansas is in such fine condition, but the Abbott And Costello Meet The Mummy, which is by far the most collectable and valuable, is in the worst condition. 
    Lawrence
  • winton8winton8 Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thanks Rick. No not for sale, I'm going to enjoy them for a little while. Thanks hondo I will check it out. It's the luck of the draw isn't it when it comes to finding posters (adds character). Haha.