Skip to content

A Do You Know Your Classic Movies Quiz.

Comments

• This now leaves only C426 to be answered. I am hoping my earlier clue today will help to solve it. 

If still unanswered within 24 hours I will then provide the answer.
  • As for image C426 it would certainly appear that an answer will not be forthcoming, so I will now I will reveal that the film in question is Bridge To The Sun from 1961. Carroll Baker and James Shigeta appear in the posted image.

Based on a true story, this compelling drama relates the difficulties of a young woman married to a Japanese diplomat during World War 11, (IMDb). 

HONDO said:

C426 final clue is a magnificent actor.
    This easlier clue was perhaps a little obscure so I will expand it

The clue is this actress appeared in an earlier film with a magnificent actor.
    This clue was referring to the 1956 film Baby Doll when Carroll Baker starred alongside The Magninicent Seven actor Eli WllLach

• Even though I did not get the answer from the image or your clues, Lawrence. please don't know how you present these. I enjoy them a lot!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    Even though I did not get the answer from the image or your clues, Lawrence. please don't know how you present these. I enjoy them a lot!
    Thanks Bruce, most appreciated.
  •  C428
     C429
    Two more images from films that I remember that I had originally enjoyed viewing.
  • Is C429 Silverado (1985)? I had no idea about that last batch.

Peter
    I think it is Tombstone.
    Sorry not Silverado. A good guess though.
  • jayn_j said:
    Is C429 Silverado (1985)? I had no idea about that last batch.
    I think it is Tombstone. 
    Correct. Tombstone from 1993. I really enjoyed this film.

( John )
  • HONDO said:
     C428

As I am thinking that this image may prove to be a difficult one to solve, a clue then to hopefully assist is Shakespeare.
  • C428.  Thinking something by Akira.  Hidden Fortress or Ran?
  • jayn_j said:
    C428.  Thinking something by Akira.  Hidden Fortress or Ran?
    It is Akira Kurosawa's Ran from 1985. Good thinking regarding my Shakespeare clue. This masterpiece was influenced by William Shakespear's King Lear.

Akira Kurosawa is one of my favourite film directors. I once programmed a 16mm print of his Seven Samurai at the film society that I was involved with. A marvelous viewing experience. Two of his films that I managed to see 35mm versions of on the same programme were Yojimbo and Sanjuro. 

•  C430
     C431  C432
    Will these new images present a problem in finding answers for them? Let's see then.
  • I am thinking C432 is Arsenic And Old Lace (not many classic movies with window seats)

And that C431 could be High Noon

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    I am thinking C432 is Arsenic And Old Lace (not many classic movies with window seats)

Correct and good thinking. Arsenic And Old Lace from 1944. I have fond memories of this film, along with the play that the film was based on. I had an enjoyable role in an amateur production of the play,

• Bruce said:

And that C431 could be High Noon
    Good guess but no that film.
  • I did the last Akira film.  Somebody else...
    (Huge hint)
  • c430 Dreams, never seen it, never would have got it without Jayn's huge hint
  • edited March 7
    c430 Dreams, never seen it, never would have got it without Jayn's huge hint
    Correct. Dreams ( aka Akira Kurosawa's Dreams ) from 1990. Nice help provided by Jay.

A collection of tales based upon eight of director Akira Kurosawa's recurring dreams. ( IMDB ).

Steven Spielberg helped in obtaining a film distribution deal with Warner Bros,

Martin Scorsese played Vincent van Gogh in the film.

• A clue for A 431 is biographical / history.

• Final clue for A431 is one of the biggest films from the 1960s.

• A431 Lawrence of Arabia
  • Sven said:
    A431 Lawrence of Arabia
    Correct. Good to have you on board here Sven. Lawrence Of Arabia from 1962.

•  C433 C434
    Will these two new images perhaps present a challenge? Let's see then.
  • 434 Dr Strangelove
  • jayn_j said:
    434 Dr Strangelove
    Correct and well done. Dr. Strangelove (aka full title Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb) from 1964.

That is of course the great Slim Pickins seen in the below image.

• A clue for C433 is a biography film.

• C433 - The first film that came to mind was The Spirit of St Louis (1957) - looks like an aircraft engine.

Peter
  • C433 - The first film that came to mind was The Spirit of St Louis (1957) - looks like an aircraft engine.
    Spot on and well done.

•  C435
     C436
    As one can clearly see a strong connection exists with the above two new images.